Baytown Sterling is Open

6 hours ago, CCbigfan said:

And their star running back has been re-zoned to lee. What a mess going on in Baytown. They should have just combined the schools. 

Wow, so a kid going into his Senior season has been forced to switch schools?  Well I commend Beaumont ISD for grandfathering the kids here to finish at whatever school they are currently at after the rezoning...

48 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Wow, so a kid going into his Senior season has been forced to switch schools?  Well I commend Beaumont ISD for grandfathering the kids here to finish at whatever school they are currently at after the rezoning...

No. Not true at all. They are grandfathered in GCCISD too.

"Sawyer said in the past year and a half, he has experienced some things from a personal standpoint. Those experiences have led him to rethink not only where he wants to be but also consider where he wants to raise his family."

Translation: "Baytown is not where I want to raise my family, regardless of what job opportunities are here for me."

This is a guy who previously lived in Hutto. If you've never been there, it's flush with cash and affluent families. Quite the opposite of Baytown and much more similar to Boerne. I understand his decision and would've made the same one.

34 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

"Sawyer said in the past year and a half, he has experienced some things from a personal standpoint. Those experiences have led him to rethink not only where he wants to be but also consider where he wants to raise his family."

Translation: "Baytown is not where I want to raise my family, regardless of what job opportunities are here for me."

This is a guy who previously lived in Hutto. If you've never been there, it's flush with cash and affluent families. Quite the opposite of Baytown and much more similar to Boerne. I understand his decision and would've made the same one.

You are not required to live in GCCISD or attend GCCISD schools in order to work here (unless you are the Superintendent). 

5 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

So the star RB just decided he didn't want to be a Ranger anymore, he has wanted to be a Gander all his life? :)

He didnt decide it. lol  He was rezoned to Lee. But Since he has went to Sterling ALL his life he can still Attend RSS or finish out at Lee.  

4 minutes ago, GCMNation5 said:

He didnt decide it. lol  He was rezoned to Lee. But Since he has went to Sterling ALL his life he can still Attend RSS or finish out at Lee.  

According to UIL, I don't think he will be able to play varsity football at Lee this year.  We are dealing with the same issue here in Beaumont.

10 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

According to UIL, I don't think he will be able to play varsity football at Lee this year.  We are dealing with the same issue here in Beaumont.

Not true at all. The school district determines the Attendance Zones. Based on the districts permission to allow students to "grandfather", they have the option to attend the school to which they are now zoned OR remain at their current school dependent upon providing their own transportation.

UIL Eligibility Standards

The sole purpose of eligibility rules and contest regulations is to keep competition equitable and to maintain activities in proper perspective. It is the responsibility of each school to see that students do not compete unless they comply with all eligibility rules. It is also the responsibility of the student to observe and obey these standards. According to UIL standards, students are eligible to represent their school in interscholastic activities if they:

• have not graduated from high school,
  • are full-time, day students in the school, and have been in regular attendance at the school since the 6th class day of the present school year, or have been in regular attendance for 15 or more calendar days before the contest or competition,
  • are in compliance with state law and rules of the Commissioner of Education, (see 
    This is the hidden content, please
    )
  • are enrolled in a four year, normal program of high school courses, and initially enrolled in the 9th grade not more than 4 years ago nor in the 10th grade not more than 3 years ago,
  • were not recruited,
  • are not in violation of the awards rule, and
  • meet the specific eligibility requirements for academic, music and/or athletic competition.

Eligibility for Academic Contests

• meet all the requirements above, and
  • have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL academic contest.

Eligibility for Music Contests

• meet all the requirements above, and
  • have not changed schools for the purpose of participating in a UIL music contest.

Eligibility for Athletic Contests

• meet all the requirements above,
  • are less than 19 years old on September 1 preceding the contest or have been granted eligibility based on a disability that delayed their education by at least one year,
  • live with their parents inside the school district attendance zone their first year of attendance (see your school administrator for exceptions),
  • have not moved or changed schools for athletic purposes,
  • have not violated the athletic amateur rule, and
  • were eligible according to the fifteen day rule and the residence rule prior to district certification.

Schools may adopt stricter standards for eligibility to participate in extracurricular activities.

Well I'm not about to read your long attachment.  I guess Goose Creek is doing things different.  All our varsity athletes have been told per the AD and school board that if they transfer regardless of reason, they will not be eligible for varsity play for one calendar year.  So for example, if a kid played a varsity sport at West Brook last year, even if he or she has been rezoned to United, they will not be able to compete at the varsity level at United.  They have the option to stay at West Brook, continue to play there and graduate from there.  The rezoning will be enforced for our incoming freshman.  

21 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

Well I'm not about to read your long attachment.  I guess Goose Creek is doing things different.  All our varsity athletes have been told per the AD and school board that if they transfer regardless of reason, they will not be eligible for varsity play for one calendar year.  So for example, if a kid played a varsity sport at West Brook last year, even if he or she has been rezoned to United, they will not be able to compete at the varsity level at United.  They have the option to stay at West Brook, continue to play there and graduate from there.  The rezoning will be enforced for our incoming freshman.  

That is a District decision, not a UIL decision.

22 minutes ago, RidinTheRange said:

I haven't heard anywhere that Calvin Hill is going to Lee. I would not want to run behind that line my senior year.

I would rather run being that line against their district then behind Sterling's line in their district. Pick your poison cause you gonna get hit either way.

But on the same note I would rather finish with the guys i have worked hard for 3 years with.

2 hours ago, GCMNation5 said:

I would rather run being that line against their district then behind Sterling's line in their district. Pick your poison cause you gonna get hit either way.

But on the same note I would rather finish with the guys i have worked hard for 3 years with.

But you are clearly not from the LeBron generation. Kids these days will bolt in a second on their teammates for a chance to win.

4 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Maybe so, but it doesn't look good for the Athletic Coordinator/Head Football Coach at Sterling to live in Barbers Hill and his kids not go to GCCISD Schools.

This is correct. That's a quick way to get run out of town. It's seen as a lack of "buy in", and rightfully so. If I am the head football coach and I am asking kids to "be all in" on the Baytown Sterling football program, but my kids are "all in" at Barbers Hill, they pretty quickly realize I am full of caca.

19 hours ago, GCMNation5 said:

Which he will not get at RRS or Lee.

last four years at RSS, missed playoffs in 17, 16 by one game each year 

2017 B. Sawyer 4-6-0 
2016 B. Sawyer 6-4-0
2015 P. Gareri, 4-6-0
2014 P. Gareri 5-5-0

Last four at Lee - 5A

2017 Finn 1-8-0
2016 D. Wilkinson 1-9-0
2015 D. Wilkinson 0-10-0
2014 D. Wilkinson 0-10-0

and GCM - 14,15 5A 16,17- 6A

2017 B. Jones 1-8-0
2016 B. Jones 0-10-0
2015 B. Boyd 4-6-0
2014 B. Boyd 4-6-0

Out of all the Baytown schools I would choose Sterling, at least they are competitive at the 6A level.