Are pitch limits necessary in high school softball?

17 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Sure would make it more interesting.  Especially in the playoffs...honestly, there is zero reason for a 3 game series if a team isn't forced to changed pitchers. 

Yes there is.  One bad half inning and your season is over.  Most teams around here don't have one really good pitcher, much less what would be considered an ace.  The bigger classifications could get lucky and could have two really good pitchers. But the lower classes are lucky if they have someone that can throw strikes, let alone move the ball and change speeds. If the "ace" has to come out then it's a walk fest because most schools don't have anyone else that can pitch.  Even big D-1 colleges ride their aces for well over 300 pitches in a weekend series. 

There is no need for a pitch count in high school or any other level of softball. 

1 hour ago, BD54 said:

Yes there is.  One bad half inning and your season is over.  Most teams around here don't have one really good pitcher, much less what would be considered an ace.  The bigger classifications could get lucky and could have two really good pitchers. But the lower classes are lucky if they have someone that can throw strikes, let alone move the ball and change speeds. If the "ace" has to come out then it's a walk fest because most schools don't have anyone else that can pitch.  Even big D-1 colleges ride their aces for well over 300 pitches in a weekend series. 

There is no need for a pitch count in high school or any other level of softball. 

Well, you have your opinions and I have mine.

It appears that the most prevalent argument against a pitch count is that "well we only have one pitcher who can pitch."  If that were a truly valid argument, then there would be no pitch count in UIL baseball games, either.

It  appears that due to the numbers, there does not appear to be the need for a pitch count like on the baseball side, but the numbers need to be watched carefully.

19 hours ago, joeisbell said:

No, there is absolutely zero reason to have a pitch count in softball. There is zero documentation on excessive pitching resulting in arm injuries for the ladies. I have coached softball for 34 years.

My opinion on having a pitch count has zero to do with injuries.  I know they won't get injured from overpitching.  My point is that IF they're going to have a possibility of a 3 game playoff series then softball teams should have to use more than one pitcher.  It's easy to ride a stud pitcher deep into the playoffs but that doesn't make you a good team.  I personally would either like to see them either do away with a 3 game series or force teams to use other pitchers.

It's actually not easy to ride a stud pitcher deep in the playoffs without being a good team.  Good teams with good pitching go deep in the playoffs. Having a stud pitcher helps, but you better have kids that can play defense behind her or she's useless.  I'm sure they are a bunch of "stud pitchers" sitting home after the first round of the playoffs because the team behind them was terrible. 

Stud pitchers get beat by good bats on the opposing team! Have a solid lineup 1-9 that can hit and who cares who is pitching!

If your 1-9 is stronger than their 1-9, your team should win!

You still have to have a decent pitcher that can compete against that stud pitcher! Stud pitchers will keep the scores low.

But 1-9 should be able to produce at least 2 runs and win a 2-1 or 2-0 ballgame.

23 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

My opinion on having a pitch count has zero to do with injuries.  I know they won't get injured from overpitching.  My point is that IF they're going to have a possibility of a 3 game playoff series then softball teams should have to use more than one pitcher.  It's easy to ride a stud pitcher deep into the playoffs but that doesn't make you a good team.  I personally would either like to see them either do away with a 3 game series or force teams to use other pitchers.

Why? That's not softball and never has been softball. The sport revolves around the BEST pitcher on either squad shutting down the other offense. It's been that way since the 1970's when the sport took off.  Do you want other players on the football team to play quarterback, or other players on the basketball team to play point guard ? Your post makes absolutely ZERO sense regarding the sport of Softball.