Dayton 7 Port Neches-Groves 4/GM2 - FINAL/Dayton wins series 2-0

WOSgrad

I really expected PNG to make deep runs in each of the last 2 seasons only to be eliminated in the 1st round. This PNG team has 9 college commits, not many teams can say that. May not see this much talent on the field at PNG for a long period of time. Several of these girls play on really good travel teams and win a lot. So I guess I expected the winning to carry over into high school and into the playoffs. It's not gonna get easier next year with the new district allignment. The easy district schedule is over for sure. Good luck next year.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, Eagle91 said:

I really expected PNG to make deep runs in each of the last 2 seasons only to be eliminated in the 1st round. This PNG team has 9 college commits, not many teams can say that. May not see this much talent on the field at PNG for a long period of time. Several of these girls play on really good travel teams and win a lot. So I guess I expected the winning to carry over into high school and into the playoffs. It's not gonna get easier next year with the new district allignment. The easy district schedule is over for sure. Good luck next year.

Agreed.  I am very surprised - not taking anything away from Dayton.  Best of luck to the NDN's next year, and best of luck to Dayton to make a deep run!

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, Eagle91 said:

can only be attributed to poor coaching.  

Don't forget when you go west the talent pool increases greatly.  We see that in football as well.  Only really good sport year in and year out is basketball in this area.

We do have some great basketball teams. 

Football in the 60s and 70s ruled -Lincoln, TJ, Hebert, PNG, etc...not the case anymore with the exception of WOS

Not sure how to say this without offending but "college commits" doesn't mean anything.  I'm not taking anything away from the girls.  The current system is set up where there are 4 teams that go to the playoffs.  Select/travel ball has become the norm and the parents seem to believe that the current head coaches are dumber than the select coaches.  This mindset just blows me away.  Just about any softball player that has a small amount of talent can go play at a very small community college somewhere in a city that we've never heard of along with a college we've never heard of.  Great props to the girls that continue their education and softball careers wherever they can but this "college commit" tag has become an epidemic.  An epidemic in all sports.  Just because the athlete is a "college commit" doesn't mean they will win.  I blame a lot of it on social media in the pressure to post commitments etc.  I remember back in the 80's where teams would win state championships and maybe 1 or 2 athletes from those respected teams would go to play at the next level.  I could go on but the ideology behind the "college commit" nonsense needs to stop.  It has accounted for ZERO WINS.

4 hours ago, Eagle91 said:

Most of these girls are not committed to small schools. They have to be pretty talented to be playing D1 softball. I believe 5 of them are D1 recruits. These girls play all across the country and win so I don't know what else to say. 

That is awesome for those girls & their families.  My point is that today's softball is geared towards travel ball & getting the scholarship/committment.  Lord knows we all need any extra money there is to send our kids to college.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  But if today's highschool softball would buy in to the State Championship it would mean a lot more for the player.  Would mean a lot to the past players that tried to get there.  The community, the athletic program, the highschool etc.  Maybe it's the old school in me but I believe it's all about making it to Austin.

7 hours ago, Eagle91 said:

Most of these girls are not committed to small schools. They have to be pretty talented to be playing D1 softball. I believe 5 of them are D1 recruits. These girls play all across the country and win so I don't know what else to say. 

You may want to get the correct numbers on this.

Sr Pitcher - Committed to Angelo State Div 2

Sr Catcher - Committed to SFA Div 1

Jr First Baseman - not committed and no plans to continue softball after school doesn’t play select anymore

Jr second baseman - not committed that I know of, could be wrong

Soph SS - Commtted to Lamar Div 1

Soph 3B - not committed doesn’t play select anymore

Sr RF - Committed to small NAIA school in Arkansas

Sr CF - not Committed and hasn’t played Select in several years

Sr RF - Committed to LSCPA

Soph DH - Committed to McNeese

Soph Back Up Pitcher - I heard was Committed to a Div 1 school but I am not positive.

16 hours ago, OneChance said:

You may want to get the correct numbers on this.

Sr Pitcher - Committed to Angelo State Div 2

Sr Catcher - Committed to SFA Div 1

Jr First Baseman - not committed and no plans to continue softball after school doesn’t play select anymore

Jr second baseman - Committed to Navarro JUCO

Soph SS - Commtted to Lamar Div 1

Soph 3B - not committed doesn’t play select anymore

Sr RF - Committed to small Div 2 school in Arkansas

Sr CF - not Committed and hasn’t played Select in several years

Sr LF - Committed to LSCPA - 

Soph DH - Committed to McNeese Div 1

Soph Back Up Pitcher - I heard was Committed to a Div 1 school but I am not positive.

So 3 Div 1 players

(Maybe 4 if backup pitcher is going Div 1, not sure of her status)

2 Div 2 players

2 JUCO

3 not Committed and not playing year round ball

Last year they lost a pitcher to Div 1 who was originally committed to a JUCO and I might add is killing it at Div 1 level

They lost 3B to JUCO

and several others that did not continue to play softball after high school.

Not taking anything away from any of these girls, I thought they should have made it past first round too. Great group of girls.

RF was originally committed to Campbell University which is D1 and backup P/3B committed to Southern Illinois. So 5 was correct and didnt realise the RF decommitted from Campbell .Either way there are several girls that are committed. I've been known to be wrong once or twice in my life. Lol.