Parent files civil lawsuit against Carthage

I think the incident took place in 2016.  Had become, relatively, common knowledge in Carthage.  Why it’s taken this long to hit the news is a mystery.  If the facts listed are accurate, there should be heads rolling.  

Let me play devil's advocate......What do we do with the fact that there were no criminal charges brought up and this is all stemming from a civil lawsuit? Surratt doesn't strike me as a guy would cover up this type of crime on account of a player, one who wasn't even considered to the a star when it happened, and a coach on his staff. Do you all think we are rushing to judgement here?

It’s a really gray area... if the school was to punish the player based on an allegation that tuned out to be untrue or unproven, we’d be reading about the player’s family suing the school instead. 

I strongly suspect that the school WOULD have acted if the player was actually charged with a crime. That’s where Silsbee got into a jam a few years back... they were still having a “hands off” approach even after a grand jury felt there was adequate evidence to charge several players. 

Im not interested in rehashing the Silsbee incident, just using the event as an illustration. 

5 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Let me play devil's advocate......What do we do with the fact that there were no criminal charges brought up and this is all stemming from a civil lawsuit? Surratt doesn't strike me as a guy would cover up this type of crime on account of a player, one who wasn't even considered to the a star when it happened, and a coach on his staff. Do you all think we are rushing to judgement here?

I could be reading it wrong, but doesnt the fact that he got "pre-trial diversion" mean he got charged for something?

9 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

At the end of the day, it really does matter who you are. If he wasn't the star QB and if Carthage didn't have a chance to win state it would have been different. But, coach and staff did what they had to do to get that ring.

I’m not going to speak much on this, but you guys are crazy if you think Surratt would risk his rep over a QB. They grow on trees in Carthage. When all this happened he was the JV QB, with zero garunatees he would be the starter on varsity. Look at the dates. And I promise Carthage did not need him to win a championship this year. There was 2-3 other kids that we would’ve won with. When you have 3 pretty much D1 receivers and the number 1 back in the state, a lot of kids would be “star quarterbacks”. 

On 5/1/2018 at 9:06 PM, Tigers2010 said:

I could be reading it wrong, but doesnt the fact that he got "pre-trial diversion" mean he got charged for something?

The diversion programs are in lieu of  charges being filed.  If he doesn't complete the program then the charges are filed , the way I understand it.

10 minutes ago, bigdog said:

The diversion programs are in lieu of  charges being filed.  If he doesn't complete the program then the charges are filed , the way I understand it.

I am with you. My point is, if they didn't have anything to charge him with he wouldn't have been given the pre-trial program. So the DA, felt like they had enough to charge him with a crime.

22 hours ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

So similar to Deferred Adjudication?

Grad is the lawyer so he can probably answer this better than I, but I think DA  means charges have been filed but will be dropped if you don't commit another offense in that jurisdiction for a certain amount of time  (This is done for speeding tickets for people who do not live in the county they are ticketed in) among other things.   The deferment program is in lieu of charges.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:24 PM, Dawgs12345 said:

I’m not going to speak much on this, but you guys are crazy if you think Surratt would risk his rep over a QB. They grow on trees in Carthage. When all this happened he was the JV QB, with zero garunatees he would be the starter on varsity. Look at the dates. And I promise Carthage did not need him to win a championship this year. There was 2-3 other kids that we would’ve won with. When you have 3 pretty much D1 receivers and the number 1 back in the state, a lot of kids would be “star quarterbacks”. 

Like so many he might if he thought the incident was gonna go away. He's very close to the QB's  family. Having a coach on his staff busted last year for having inappropriate relations with a student(s) and another coach this year having to resign for allegations of the same doesn't bode well. 

According to the petition, when  Panola County refused to file criminal charges after the offense was documented by both Homeland Security and the FBI, the Attorney General of Texas stepped in and gave the DA a deadline by which to file charges.  The QB was given pre-trial diversion, BUT NO CASE OR CHARGES  WERE EVER FILED.  This was so the charges wouldn’t be public and the athletic department would not have to take action.  There is no public record in Panola County of his offense and pre-trial diversion can ONLY be used when a case has been filed.  ANYONE ELSE WOULD HAVE A PUBLIC CASE FILED.  The Carthage coach who was charged last year for inappropriate relationship with students received pre-trial diversion.   

11 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

If this is true, can't they hit the kid with a sex crime? That's peeping right? Being a registered sex offender for the rest of your life because you were immature in high school definitely isn't worth it. Gotta get it together

I think they have already given him what they wanted to give him. Which sounds like, was nothing.