Livingston is Open

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

I'll address you both, this statement is asinine.

Do you think Nick Saban, and his ilk, are fooled by the level of competition around a kid? Those kids are getting D1 looks because they have the tools to be a D1 player. The competition rarely matters....the high level coaches know talent when they see it. What I said earlier about day in and day out competition is why those kids don't succeed.

And don't pass judgement too quickly on Kyler Murray. He still has a lot of football left to play.

No, Saban wasn’t fooled... I don’t recall him sending any offers to Newton.  

Why do I have to wait for Murray to grow up? He’s had three years after high school, and for the guy that “had a stranglehold on DFW” he hasn’t beaten anybody out for a starting spot at A&M or OU.... that’s a little disappointing. 

3 hours ago, 2wedge said:

I'll address you both, this statement is asinine.

Do you think Nick Saban, and his ilk, are fooled by the level of competition around a kid? Those kids are getting D1 looks because they have the tools to be a D1 player. The competition rarely matters....the high level coaches know talent when they see it. What I said earlier about day in and day out competition is why those kids don't succeed.

And don't pass judgement too quickly on Kyler Murray. He still has a lot of football left to play.

You are so right 2 wedge! And let’s not forget Kyler Murray is not only going to be the QB for OU this year, but is also projected to be a 1st round pick in this June MLB draft; So saying he’s a disappointment is ludicrous.

PS. I do believe Saban just doled out 3 offers to Newton ballers. 

6 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I have never said having a decent stable of good athletes is the only ingredient required for winning.

players + coaching + level of competition = championships

I've said that numerous times. Not sure where you're getting the feeling that Newton is my "fave".. but ok.  Let's talk about them.  Yes, Johnston is definitely a great coach but I'm willing to bet that SEVERAL coaches in the state would've won the state championship with that group of kids in that classification.  

I would swap to coaching first then players.  We need to stop always blaming the kids for coaching failures.  Does one honestly think that all those successful years WOS has enjoyed that Hooks and Thompson had nothing to do with it?  That WOS ALWAYS had the players??  And yes, a coach can create a D1 player.  No -- not all coaches can.  That's why some coaches go throughout their career and never win a title.

43 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I would swap to coaching first then players.  We need to stop always blaming the kids for coaching failures.  Does one honestly think that all those successful years WOS has enjoyed that Hooks and Thompson had nothing to do with it?  That WOS ALWAYS had the players??  And yes, a coach can create a D1 player.  No -- not all coaches can.  That's why some coaches go throughout their career and never win a title.

Definitely the most delusional statement I’ve seen on here in quite some time.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

No, a coach can’t “create” a D1 athlete, but coaching essential to becoming a D1 athlete. All of the talent in the world won’t succeed without direction and training, but the best coaching in the world can’t develop everybody into a D1 prospect. 

There are thousands of great athletes who never move on because they were, unfortunately, enrolled in bad programs with crappy coaching and never came close to achieving their full potential. Surely you won’t disagree with that, too.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

When one picks this part out to comment on and doesn't touch the other part, well, then, it's called being on the losing end of the conversation.   A coach creating or being essential to becoming a D1 athlete, as CardinalBacker said, is the same thing.  There is a lot of ability out there that has not been developed.  A "good" coach can realize this potential and "create" a D1 player.  A bad coach cannot.  Does anyone honestly think that talent just happens to show up at WOS year in and year out?  How about Carthage?  Aledo?  Does one honestly think talent just "shows" up every year there?  And no other schools in their districts ever gets any talent??  If so, now THAT would be the most delusional statement anyone would have seen here for quite some time. 

34 minutes ago, Reagan said:

When one picks this part out to comment on and doesn't touch the other part, well, then, it's called being on the losing end of the conversation.   A coach creating or being essential to becoming a D1 athlete, as CardinalBacker said, is the same thing.  There is a lot of ability out there that has not been developed.  A "good" coach can realize this potential and "create" a D1 player.  A bad coach cannot.  Does anyone honestly think that talent just happens to show up at WOS year in and year out?  How about Carthage?  Aledo?  Does one honestly think talent just "shows" up every year there?  And no other schools in their districts ever gets any talent??  If so, now THAT would be the most delusional statement anyone would have seen here for quite some time. 

I can tell you right now that Carthage and WOS get incredible talent on a year in year out basis. If anyone wants to argue that they evidently didn’t watch the state championship games these past 3 or so years. Both Carthage and WOS have some of the best looking, fast, Strong, agile ballers anyone would ever wanna see on the field. Rarely, if ever, are these 2 programs down.

9 hours ago, Reagan said:

There is not a coach in the world that can "create" D! "TALENT." 

D! "TALENT" is GOD given and usually fairly easy to spot. That is why kids from schools that go 0-10 still get D! scholarships.

Example: There was a defensive lineman from Greenville who played on 4, 0-10 teams. He did not win a single high school football game. His D1 talent got him a scholarship to SFA and he was drafted this year by the NFL. Now tell me, did the coaching that went 0-40 "create" this D1 talent? I don't think so.

Now there are good to great Coaches out there that can take D2 or D3 talent and "develop" a kid into a D1 player. Or, really good coaches can put a kid with D2 talent into a position to be so successful that he "earns" a D1 scholarship. But, I repeat, coaching is NOT "creating" D1 "TALENT."

10 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

No, a coach can’t “create” a D1 athlete, but coaching essential to becoming a D1 athlete. All of the talent in the world won’t succeed without direction and training, but the best coaching in the world can’t develop everybody into a D1 prospect. 

There are thousands of great athletes who never move on because they were, unfortunately, enrolled in bad programs with crappy coaching and never came close to achieving their full potential. Surely you won’t disagree with that, too.

I think that there are thousands of great athletes that probably who never move on because they are on terrible teams or play with/against terrible competition.  The best player on a 1-9 team will never get the same attention as the best player that is still playing in round 4.  Even if they’re the same size, speed, strength, GPA, etc.. Being on a good team always makes a difference.  Unless a kid is just an absolute freak of nature.

32 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I think that there are thousands of great athletes that probably who never move on because they are on terrible teams or play with/against terrible competition.  The best player on a 1-9 team will never get the same attention as the best player that is still playing in round 4.  Even if they’re the same size, speed, strength, GPA, etc.. Being on a good team always makes a difference.  Unless a kid is just an absolute freak of nature.

On this, you are wrong. College Coaches don't go to games, they watch film. And College Coaches could care less what your record is (unless you are a QB) and they rarely even care what the score is. They watch film, evaluate the talent and skills, look at the measurable's (height, weight, 40 time, bench press, squat, 3 cone time etc) and decide if they are going to offer you. I'm telling you from experience, if you can play, D! coaches will find you. And with the advent of the internet and HUDL, every kid in America has the ability to produce a highlight tape and send it to every college he wants to attend. If they want to play, they will get themselves in front of the recruiter.

40 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

On this, you are wrong. College Coaches don't go to games, they watch film. And College Coaches could care less what your record is (unless you are a QB) and they rarely even care what the score is. They watch film, evaluate the talent and skills, look at the measurable's (height, weight, 40 time, bench press, squat, 3 cone time etc) and decide if they are going to offer you. I'm telling you from experience, if you can play, D! coaches will find you. And with the advent of the internet and HUDL, every kid in America has the ability to produce a highlight tape and send it to every college he wants to attend. If they want to play, they will get themselves in front of the recruiter.

I wasn’t implying that college coaches go watch games.  I know they don’t..between hudl and camps there is no need.  What I mean is that they more easily get attention due to team success.  If a running back has 200 yards and 5 touchdowns late in the playoffs...if they don’t know they will now. I have a little experience on this as well and I have close friends that are coaching college ball right now.  They hate getting highlight films.  It’s easy to show only the best parts..

but yes.. notice the last sentence of my previous comment.  Nothing matters if you are a freak athlete (D1 talent)

7 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I wasn’t implying that college coaches go watch games.  I know they don’t..between hudl and camps there is no need.  What I mean is that they more easily get attention due to team success.  If a running back has 200 yards and 5 touchdowns late in the playoffs...if they don’t know they will now. I have a little experience on this as well and I have close friends that are coaching college ball right now.  They hate getting highlight films.  It’s easy to show only the best parts..

but yes.. notice the last sentence of my previous comment.  Nothing matters if you are a freak athlete (D1 talent)

No doubt they hate getting highlight films, I agree 100%.

But, sometimes the highlights cause the Coaches on the road to take a detour to a school they might bypass. If you can get a College Coach to come into the fieldhouse, a good high school coach can sell a kid he thinks can play at the next level. Highlights lead to full game films and evaluations, which lead to official visits and offers.

All i was saying is if a kid can play he will get seen.

30 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Former head coach at Diboll and Tomball Memorial, if my memory hasn't completely gone away.

FINIS VANOVER
31 years; 158-167-0; 11-6-0

1980  Hardin-Jefferson         8-2-0
1981  Hardin-Jefferson         5-4-1
1982  Hardin-Jefferson         5-5-0
—staff, Beaumont French—
1986  FW Paschal                 0-10-0
1987  FW Paschal                  1-9-0
1988  FW Paschal                 0-10-0
1989  Seminole                      5-5-0
1990  Seminole                      2-8-0
1993  Diboll                            2-8-0
1994  Diboll                            5-5-0
1995  Diboll                            4-6-0
1996  Diboll                            4-6-0
1997  Diboll                            7-3-0 C
1998  Diboll                            8-4-0*
1999  Diboll                            8-3-0 R
2000  Diboll                          10-1-0*
2001  Diboll                            8-4-0 R
2002  Diboll                            3-7-0
2003  Diboll                            8-4-0 T
2004  Diboll                            6-5-0 C
2005  Diboll                            3-6-0
2006  Angleton                      5-5-0
2007  Angleton                      3-7-0
2008  Angleton                      9-4-0 C
2009  Angleton                    11-2-0*
2010  Angleton                      7-4-0 T
2011  Tomball Memorial         —JV–
2012  Tomball Memorial        2-8-0
2013  Tomball Memorial        6-5-0 F
2014  Tomball Memorial        4-6-0
2015  Tomball Memorial        4-6-0
2016  Tomball Memorial        5-5-0

28 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

No better than Bubba Arledge.

Vanover may have coached more games as a head coach, but he has a losing record.

Arledge was a head coach for 7 years and is 10 games over .500 for his career.

Did Arledge even apply?  You sure are on his n u ts!!

29 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

No better than Bubba Arledge.

Vanover may have coached more games as a head coach, but he has a losing record.

Arledge was a head coach for 7 years and is 10 games over .500 for his career.

Doesn’t impact me either way

Ive at least heard of Vanover 

3 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

That's an impressive and mature comment, I'm sure your mother is proud.

Just a coach, who IMO, was a victim of politics last time this job was open and deserves the job.

Now back to your Fhineas and Ferb viewing.

I always hear judge a coach by if they take a team and make them better. Bubba took a Cleveland team that was 11-20 the 3 seasons before he was the HC and then went 27-10. Until Tullos got there, Arledge was the winningest HC Cleveland ever had. Now Cleveland fired both of them so that tells you how smart Cleveland has been with keeping quality Coaches. 

14 hours ago, Kegger said:

I always hear judge a coach by if they take a team and make them better. Bubba took a Cleveland team that was 11-20 the 3 seasons before he was the HC and then went 27-10. Until Tullos got there, Arledge was the winningest HC Cleveland ever had. Now Cleveland fired both of them so that tells you how smart Cleveland has been with keeping quality Coaches. 

True, very true. And Bubba is a Cleveland graduate, if I'm not mistaken.

Heard he got fired for buying and wearing Black uniforms, is that true?

Special school board meeting tonight at 6:30, decision should be made today.

5 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

True, very true. And Bubba is a Cleveland graduate, if I'm not mistaken.

Heard he got fired for buying and wearing Black uniforms, is that true?

Special school board meeting tonight at 6:30, decision should be made today.

From what I heard Rowe purchased them without Board Approval and then took the Nimitz Job. Bubba was told not to wear them because black was not a school color.  Arledge used them one time as a motivator in the first round of the playoffs. Which was their first playoff win in 15 years and their 2nd ever. I've heard there was some other stuff that he did that pissed off the Supt.  But from what I heard it sounded like the Supt and Board were on a witch hunt trying to get rid of him. He was an amazing AD! Cared about the other sports as well. Look at the success he's having with the track program at Crockett. I'm not saying that he's the greatest coach ever but he would be the type of coach that could improve the program at Livingston.