Livingston is Open

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

If I’m not mistaken, the baseball complex in Livingston is privately owned. 

The baseball and softball complex is owned by Livingston ISD, but they did not build it.  It was built under the guidance of a gentleman named Greg Hendrix, who then sold it to Livingston ISD.

16 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

The baseball and softball complex is owned by Livingston ISD, but they did not build it.  It was built under the guidance of a gentleman named Greg Hendrix, who then sold it to Livingston ISD.

I knew Greg had built it, but I was unaware that it had been sold to the school. 

It’s amazing how little support the Lions have there at home. There’s talent there... you have Corrigan as their neighbor to the North, Coldspring to their West. The community just doesn’t put any emphasis on supporting their programs, most specifically the football program. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I knew Greg had built it, but I was unaware that it had been sold to the school. 

It’s amazing how little support the Lions have there at home. There’s talent there... you have Corrigan as their neighbor to the North, Coldspring to their West. The community just doesn’t put any emphasis on supporting their programs, most specifically the football program. 

The community supports the team. It's always a full house.  And never an empty seat. They tailgate before the games. So unless you're definion of support is different than mine they are supported.

Now if we're talking about success in boys sports that's been non existent for the last few years.  That's gotta change. I wish they made the move in November but here we are having to fight it out with Bc for whatever left  of football coaches. Sorry y'all lost your coach. He seemed to be a guy that could be there for the long haul.

I dont know much about Livingston football other than what I have read on here but I would think dropping from 5A into a managable 4A district would be a great opportunity for a coach. Dont over schedule in non-district and maybe go 7-3 0r 8-2...get a really weak Houston school in round 1 and notch a playoff win. Do that a couple seasons and maybe land a job at more of a "football school". You would not have to turn Livingston into Argyle. Am I wrong?

5 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

The community supports the team. It's always a full house.  And never an empty seat. They tailgate before the games. So unless you're definion of support is different than mine they are supported.

Now if we're talking about success in boys sports that's been non existent for the last few years.  That's gotta change. I wish they made the move in November but here we are having to fight it out with Bc for whatever left  of football coaches. Sorry y'all lost your coach. He seemed to be a guy that could be there for the long haul.

It’s always a full house? I’d hope so. They seat about 500. 

12 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I dont know much about Livingston football other than what I have read on here but I would think dropping from 5A into a managable 4A district would be a great opportunity for a coach. Dont over schedule in non-district and maybe go 7-3 0r 8-2...get a really weak Houston school in round 1 and notch a playoff win. Do that a couple seasons and maybe land a job at more of a "football school". You would not have to turn Livingston into Argyle. Am I wrong?

They will get a very good football coach, if the School Board can come to the right conclusion this time and not screw it up.

There are a number of VERY qualified and high quality coaches who want this job. They are former Livingston assistants who want to be in Livingston and can get the program turned in the right direction. The coaches I  am talking about are dang good coaches and know what it take to be successful in Livingston.

Livingston as a super small 5a team was competitve in the district. Just a few years ago they were a playoff team. With them dropping to 4a I look for them to have some success and make the playoffs. They have athletes, and size on the line. Now they are competing with schools there numbers. Last realignment they turned in 4a numbers recount and had 5a. 

37 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Not the saLivingston as a super small 5a team was competitve in the district. Just a few years ago they were a playoff team. With them dropping to 4a I look for them to have some success and make the playoffs. They have athletes, and size on the line. Now they are competing with schools there numbers. Last realignment they turned in 4a numbers recount and had 5a. 

Not the same quality of athletes they have had in the past. That group from 2006-2011 was special. There were multiple D1 kids on those teams. None of those hanging around anymore.

51 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Not the same quality of athletes they have had in the past. That group from 2006-2011 was special. There were multiple D1 kids on those teams. None of those hanging around anymore.

You don't see many kids going to D1 schools from losing programs.... You can ask all day whether or not it's the lack of athletes or the lack of program success that ends up with a situation where nobody goes to the next level.  I like to think it's a combination of both, and I'm confident that Livingston still has their fair share of quality athletes.... they just don't get to display it. 

14 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

You don't see many kids going to D1 schools from losing programs.... You can ask all day whether or not it's the lack of athletes or the lack of program success that ends up with a situation where nobody goes to the next level.  I like to think it's a combination of both, and I'm confident that Livingston still has their fair share of quality athletes.... they just don't get to display it. 

That's because losing programs usually are losing as a result of not having those type of athletes.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That's because losing programs usually are losing as a result of not having those type of athletes.

That's not true.... there are tons of great athletes on crappy teams.  Some get recognition like Grayland Arnold, but most just move on into post-football life.  

Just having the best athletes doesn't equate to having the best record. 

9 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

That's not true.... there are tons of great athletes on crappy teams.  Some get recognition like Grayland Arnold, but most just move on into post-football life.  

Just having the best athletes doesn't equate to having the best record. 

I'm not saying there aren't.  But even crappy teams with great players pose somewhat of a threat in at least 1 aspect of the game.  Grayland Arnold made Kountze a lot more competitive in games that they shouldn't have been in.

There are a lot of bad coaches that have won championships with great players.  There are zero great coaches that have won championships with bad players.  Zero.

coaching + talent + lack of other team's talent = success 

That equation can't be off even a little bit.

47 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

How come Ozen always had kids going D1 when was the last time they made the playoffs or a winning season? Livingston has the athletes I saw them play Nederland twice the coaches didn’t utilize and get the best out of there players. There team was small in numbers. But Livingston has size and speed. They will bounce back quickly with the right coach 

4 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

How come Ozen always had kids going D1 when was the last time they made the playoffs or a winning season? Livingston has the athletes I saw them play Nederland twice the coaches didn’t utilize and get the best out of there players. There team was small in numbers. But Livingston has size and speed. They will bounce back quickly with the right coach 

This is second hand information, but from what I have been told all of the speed has graduated.

Now there may be some speed walking the halls, but none in off-season

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not saying there aren't.  But even crappy teams with great players pose somewhat of a threat in at least 1 aspect of the game.  Grayland Arnold made Kountze a lot more competitive in games that they shouldn't have been in.

There are a lot of bad coaches that have won championships with great players.  There are zero great coaches that have won championships with bad players.  Zero.

coaching + talent + lack of other team's talent = success 

That equation can't be off even a little bit.

You undoubtedly didn't watch Highland Park take down Manvel in the SC game this December.  

I'm not saying the field is level.  Some schools definitely get their share and then some when it comes to talent.  But to outright claim that a school has no talented athletes just because they traditionally have a losing record is making a pretty big assumption.  

You also have to look at what is created by coaching.  Are we going to pretend that WOS would be WOS without their strength and conditioning program?  The fat kids who have decent o-line coaches tend to mature and control games.... I don't care how athletic a big boy is, without coaching he'll never amount to anything in regards to football success that translates into the next level.  A big part of coaching isn't just the x's and o's.  It's about motivating kids to do the work in the offseason and practice that will develop the kid into a force.  It's not like you just take your genetic lottery card and are naturally assured championships if yours is a good one.  

There's a common misconception among supporters of schools that seem to have "more than their share" of talented kids.... the misconception is that they are succeeding based on their talent alone.

Did all of the talented kids at Coldspring just so happen to move out of town at the same time Barbray did?  I think not. 

"coaching + talent usually combine to beat coaching OR talent" is a more accurate analysis.  

Say all you want about talent, this is a difficult time to hire coaches.  The effort of turning around a program starting in the summer as well as getting coaches at that time is going to be difficult.  HJ at least made a hire 10 days after their AD/HC resigned.  Hopefully the same is being said for Livingston.

15 hours ago, bjimbo said:

Say all you want about talent, this is a difficult time to hire coaches.  The effort of turning around a program starting in the summer as well as getting coaches at that time is going to be difficult.  HJ at least made a hire 10 days after their AD/HC resigned.  Hopefully the same is being said for Livingston.

I don't think hiring a good HEAD coach is going to be a problem. The problem is probably going to be getting good assistants at this late date. But, if Livingston hires who they should, then he will be able to assemble a decent staff his first year. The biggest problem is implementing offensive and defensive changes with only 2-a-days to do it.

23 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I don't think hiring a good HEAD coach is going to be a problem. The problem is probably going to be getting good assistants at this late date. But, if Livingston hires who they should, then he will be able to assemble a decent staff his first year. The biggest problem is implementing offensive and defensive changes with only 2-a-days to do it.

I'll keep banging the Bubba Arledge drum. He could come in and bring in numerous assistants with his connections from his years of coaching. He grew up right down the road in Cleveland. The kids and town are familiar with him too.

19 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

I was going to point that out as well.  Ozen hasn't been to the playoffs since 2014 and hasn't had a winning record since 2011 but they still send kids to college on scholarships.

1 hour ago, Kegger said:

I'll keep banging the Bubba Arledge drum. He could come in and bring in numerous assistants with his connections from his years of coaching. He grew up right down the road in Cleveland. The kids and town are familiar with him too.

Agreed, just curious if he would consider since he was looked over last time around.