Allen DeShazo Named New Bridge City HC/AD!

16 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

This job should be for a young first time head coach gig one certain name is popping out. 

Has BC ever hired an assistant before.  thinking back from Johnson Tarver Townsend Stump Dubois etc... never from within the system

Could anyone shed some light as to why Dubois left.  I surely hope is wasn't because of the drill team and band issues some have implied.

3 hours ago, Whoa said:

Has BC ever hired an assistant before.  thinking back from Johnson Tarver Townsend Stump Dubois etc... never from within the system

Could anyone shed some light as to why Dubois left.  I surely hope is wasn't because of the drill team and band issues some have implied.

Four reasons coaches leave:

1. Money

2. Adminisrtation

3. Talent (well run dry)

4. Community Support (lack there of/too much griping or complaining)

On 5/3/2018 at 5:39 AM, CardinalBacker said:

It’ll take a young (or at least unproven) assistant in my opinion. There’s exactly a 0% chance that we lure another proven successful HC like the one we just ran off. 

The thing that worries me the most is the scheme... we just havent had the personnel to run a spread-type offense here. Stump was a fine man, but you’re not going to move the ball in the shotgun without a decent qb.... the few years that we were successful were years that our defense was exceptional. 

I mean, unless he brings a qb with him, lol. 

I think QB skills are developed early. Just like young kids work on baseball mechanics or free throws for basketball, the skills necessary to play QB are developed from 7th grade up. The HS staff should be doing all in their power to equip Junior High/Middle Schools with whatever they need to make the kids successful in the future. Just one man’s opinion. 

4 hours ago, The Icon said:

I think QB skills are developed early. Just like young kids work on baseball mechanics or free throws for basketball, the skills necessary to play QB are developed from 7th grade up. The HS staff should be doing all in their power to equip Junior High/Middle Schools with whatever they need to make the kids successful in the future. Just one man’s opinion. 

I completely agree... the problem is that there dozens of kids that want to be the ace on the BCHS baseball team. Qb on the football team? Not so much. 

It’s human nature to want to play and work hard to get on a team that is consistently winning DC and making the playoffs, not so much on a team that struggle to have a winning season and hardly makes the playoffs. It takes hard work and a want to attitude to get things turned around. 

47 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I completely agree... the problem is that there dozens of kids that want to be the ace on the BCHS baseball team. Qb on the football team? Not so much. 

Didn’t the Dishon kid play QB and baseball? Ended up playing OF for LSU?

Maybe I’m mistaken

3 hours ago, The Icon said:

Didn’t the Dishon kid play QB and baseball? Ended up playing OF for LSU?

Maybe I’m mistaken

There’s been several. Matt Menard did both, and Shugart did up until his senior season. There are a lot more of the promising athletes in BC playing select ball and little league than the traditional little league, little dribblers, youth football rotation.  

I’m not trying to call kids out, but this year we have a senior that’s widely recognized for his role as a catcher on the baseball team. I’ve seen him on the sideline in street clothes, and I promise that his arm was way better than anybody on the varsity team. I’m not beating that particular kid up for not playing, but in most places, it could almost be taken for granted that a tough kid that was an elite catcher would be a key asset somewhere on the gridiron as well. Kids like Romero and Hamm that have plenty of talent on the mound AND suit up for football, but despite having cannons as far as pitching goes, were never groomed to play qb. Or at least played qb in their formative years under coaches that utilized them as scramblers instead of developing them into passers. 

If Roschon goes down (heaven forbid) next year, there will be somebody else waiting for their shot. In BC they all draw straws to de who’s going to HAVE to go under center... no lie. 

On 5/2/2018 at 11:31 AM, PlayActionPass said:
9 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

There’s been several. Matt Menard did both, and Shugart did up until his senior season. There are a lot more of the promising athletes in BC playing select ball and little league than the traditional little league, little dribblers, youth football rotation.  

I’m not trying to call kids out, but this year we have a senior that’s widely recognized for his role as a catcher on the baseball team. I’ve seen him on the sideline in street clothes, and I promise that his arm was way better than anybody on the varsity team. I’m not beating that particular kid up for not playing, but in most places, it could almost be taken for granted that a tough kid that was an elite catcher would be a key asset somewhere on the gridiron as well. Kids like Romero and Hamm that have plenty of talent on the mound AND suit up for football, but despite having cannons as far as pitching goes, were never groomed to play qb. Or at least played qb in their formative years under coaches that utilized them as scramblers instead of developing them into passers. 

If Roschon goes down (heaven forbid) next year, there will be somebody else waiting for their shot. In BC they all draw straws to de who’s going to HAVE to go under center... no lie. 

Good thing y’all get in the wing t to hand the ball off

7 minutes ago, waltersobchak said:

I mean some kids just aren’t good at football and don’t enjoy it. That kid is also one of the best defensive catchers in the state at any level

Oh, I agree and I’m not trying to criticize him or his choice. It just seems to me that we seem to have more than our share of athletes in BC with unrealized football potential. 

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

In BC they all draw straws to de who’s going to HAVE to go under center... no lie. 

Wow. Thats crazy.

At EC there is a far different process some times, LOL. 

I'm fairly certain that the type of offense has something to do with people wanting to play QB. The previously mentioned athletes played for quite different coaches. Potential for injury probably has something to do with it as well. Concussion possibilities are changing this game, parents of younger children are already making the decision to not let their kids play. Scholarship opportunities are a lot greater in baseball at BC as well, which leads back to the injury point. If a student has a scholarship to play baseball, why would he jeopardize that? College ain't cheap, my oldest doesn't graduate for 5 more years and i cant imagine how expensive it will be by then. 

1 hour ago, DLivingston said:

I'm fairly certain that the type of offense has something to do with people wanting to play QB. The previously mentioned athletes played for quite different coaches. Potential for injury probably has something to do with it as well. Concussion possibilities are changing this game, parents of younger children are already making the decision to not let their kids play. Scholarship opportunities are a lot greater in baseball at BC as well, which leads back to the injury point. If a student has a scholarship to play baseball, why would he jeopardize that? College ain't cheap, my oldest doesn't graduate for 5 more years and i cant imagine how expensive it will be by then. 

The problem is, lots of parents think their kid has a chance at a baseball scholarship and they're not even close. So in the name of "college ain't cheap", they encourage their kids to specialize and take away potential great experiences. Parents need to recalibrate and stop seeing their kids athletic ability as a way to get out of paying for college, and start focusing on what their kids want.

12 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

The problem is, lots of parents think their kid has a chance at a baseball scholarship and they're not even close. So in the name of "college ain't cheap", they encourage their kids to specialize and take away potential great experiences. Parents need to recalibrate and stop seeing their kids athletic ability as a way to get out of paying for college, and start focusing on what their kids want.

Also, rarely, if ever, do kids receive full athletic scholarships to play college baseball 

12 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Also, rarely, if ever, do kids receive full athletic scholarships to play college baseball 

There are ZERO full-scholarships for baseball. NONE!!! 

If a kid is draftabale, they might receive 75%, but those are rare.

Division I college baseball teams offer 11.7 scholarships, which have to be distributed among a maximum of 27 players.

Some, are getting 50%, but even those are rare.

And, most College Baseball Coaches prefer multi-sport athletes.

There are very few "career" ending injuries and the positives of playing High School Football, far outweigh the negatives, IMO. 

Look, i realize this is a football post. Football is king in Texas and always will be. I was just trying to give a few reasons why a kid may decide not to play football. Unless my kid gets another concussion, he will play football until he graduates. If he chooses to do so.

It's hilarious to me when anyone even mentions the word scholarship.  I blame parents but they need to realize that they just aren't out there as abundant as people think.  Just let the kids do what they enjoy doing.  If they're really good and choose to then perhaps they'll make their way onto a college roster.  If they're great then perhaps they'll get some added athletic money.  They need to realize though that academics is the way to get money.  

It's high school sports guys...97% of them will never play again after graduation and of that 3 % that do most will still have to pay for it.

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

It's hilarious to me when anyone even mentions the word scholarship.  I blame parents but they need to realize that they just aren't out there as abundant as people think.  Just let the kids do what they enjoy doing.  If they're really good and choose to then perhaps they'll make their way onto a college roster.  If they're great then perhaps they'll get some added athletic money.  They need to realize though that academics is the way to get money.  

It's high school sports guys...97% of them will never play again after graduation and of that 3 % that do most will still have to pay for it.

Nailed it. There is infinitely more money available for a high academic achiever than for a high athletic achiever. Parents will spend an insane number of hours talking athletic scholarships with Little Johnny, but never realize that Little Johnny has virtually not shot to ever get one. The vast majority of our local kids "sign" to D3 schools to further their career, despite the schools not giving athletic scholarships. Therefore, parents pay an astronomically high tuition rate so their kids can play at the next level, but suffer because they didn't pursue academic money beforehand.