Early recruiting popular but risky for young players

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

It is risky if you commit as a freshman or sophomore and shut your recruitment process down. I would say commit when you want, but keep your recruitment open and continue the process. 

That's a big problem with college baseball recruiting right now. Once a kid commits, his recruiting process typically shuts down. Usually other coaches won't look too much into a hard freshman or sophomore commit.

12 minutes ago, Ty Cobb said:

Very good information in that article.  I wish the NCAA/college's were forced to send this information to every recruit as soon as the recruiting process begins.  I see no positive, for the recruit, in early verbal commitments.

Another thing I mentioned - and that you touched on - is that there's no system for educating players and families on the process. Most are going through it for the first time so are naturally naive about the risks.

Very good article will some valid points. As mentioned above, most people have no idea on how the process actually works (I know I didn't until it happened and we learned along the way) until they go through it. It is very one-sided with the colleges having most if not all the leverage with the kids. And the comment of the other colleges not looking at them once they have a verbal is 100% accurate. I think the 11.7 scholarships is one of the most important points of the article, as we have discussed on this forum a few different times. One last thing that really  jumped out to me is seeing that only approximately 11% of all HS players will have a chance to play at the next level (D1, JUCO ,D2 or D3) and only approximately 2% of HS kids will play at the D1 level. 

Take this for what it’s worth to you:  committing early is not good in my opinion strictly because at 12-15, you may be fully developed and the field will catch up with you.  You also might not know what Juco kids signs to fill a spot the year before you sign or another high school kid blossoms a year before you can legally sign.  I know a lot of college head coaches and they have the final say, not the recruiter at the showcase tournaments.  Also, don’t just look D-1 because the numbers are pretty right when you 1 out of 11 might play in college and probably 2 per year in golden triangle will play D-1 on yearly average.  If you wanna play the game and not just be on a team, be honest with yourself and go where you can play everyday.  I watch a lot of juco and D-2 games and it’s good baseball and both have scholarships to offer.