Silsbee Basketball invited to National Tournament

The Silsbee Tigers were actually invited to two national tournaments. One was in Florida and the other was the Sugar Bowl Classic. This year district play starts before Christmas and the Sugar Bowl Classic was the only one that they could work into the schedule. This year Silsbee will have a much improved schedule over previous years. They have been really short on home games for several years but this year the promise is that they will have several good home games in the preseason. 

As has been discussed, Silsbee has had some very good teams over the past three or four seasons.  That is reflected by their accomplishments.  They are not a transcendent National power team, like Yates in 2010.  If Silsbee had one good high school big, somebody 6'5" to 6'8 and athletic enough to do the dirty work like rebound and protect the inside, they would be on their way to being transcendent.   

I agree though, great venue and showcase.   Playing in this tournament will prepare them well for next season's schedule and playoff run.  Who knows when or if an honor like this will come again for the boys basketball Tigers.  Go for the gusto now.

Gonna have to let our best players play most of the time if we want a chance of winning a game. Treat it like the Yates or Carter games. I'd be happy with one win and a respectable showing.

Not exactly sure what next seasons roster is gonna look like, but we should be a bit deeper and better than last year. I'm sure McCain and Adams want to do something big for their last year.

18 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

They lost some nice players but their 3 best players are back (best 4 imo).   They will be heavy  favorites to threepeat.  

WE played really 7 players in SA.  The 2 seniors being Barnes and Tre Lowe.  Both played big parts for us this year.  We do have some players coming back that can fill in that spot Left by Lowe.  The tough spot to fill in will be Barnes.  His rebounding and speed will be tough to replace.  He definitely played bigger than his size.  Now with that said in that state championship game, we pretty much played without him.  He was very limited due to foul trouble.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:39 PM, team first said:

What years have you attended? 

Had about 6 of our kids play in it last year.  Tournament with top teams from different states, some of them prep teams that routinely run over public school teams. This year Javonte Smart’s Scotlandville lost in the first round of bracket play (and later won their 3rd consecutive D1 title).  So I suppose you could say it’s fairly competitive.  

I have never gone to that event but have been to the Alario Center many times (where it’s played).   Great facility and venue.   Let me know if you have any more questions. 

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Had about 6 of our kids play in it last year.  Tournament with top teams from different states, some of them prep teams that routinely run over public school teams. This year Javonte Smart’s Scotlandville lost in the first round of bracket play (and later won their 3rd consecutive D1 title).  So I suppose you could say it’s fairly competitive.  

I have never gone to that event but have been to the Alario Center many times (where it’s played).   Great facility and venue.   Let me know if you have any more questions. 

I have attended 2 out of the last 3 years to this avent. As you are well, aware not all games r played at the center.  

Was just curious about your knowledge of this tournament is always packed, since you have attended so many times. 

Wrong also on javonte team winning three in a row, they lost in 2015-16 to Natchitoches Central. Now he did win 3 out of his 4 years, and his high school he attended  has won 5 out of the last 7 years. 

So no I don’t have any questions for you about basketball. Just a simple question of what year you had attended.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:47 AM, ST413 said:

WE played really 7 players in SA.  The 2 seniors being Barnes and Tre Lowe.  Both played big parts for us this year.  We do have some players coming back that can fill in that spot Left by Lowe.  The tough spot to fill in will be Barnes.  His rebounding and speed will be tough to replace.  He definitely played bigger than his size.  Now with that said in that state championship game, we pretty much played without him.  He was very limited due to foul trouble.

Gonna miss Barnes all the way around.  You can't keep them forever.  Oh well.  In terms of basketball I didn't see how they were going to replace Willie Jones III the the season before, but they did.  So I am partially leaning on that as I contemplate a 3 peat.

On 4/21/2018 at 0:27 PM, no-look said:

Don’t they lose the Evans kid too?

On 4/21/2018 at 8:23 PM, no-look said:

Center will be decent but not near as good as this year.  Neat tourney for Silsbee. 

True they will be losing Reggie Daniels and Kaleb Parks, two crucial players and they will also be losing Jaterious Evans as well