UIL Adds Instant Replay to Football State Championships

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX — The University Interscholastic League will use instant replay at all UIL Football State Championship games beginning in 2018. 

UIL plays football by NCAA rules, and each year the UIL reviews exceptions to NCAA football rules through the UIL Football Rules Committee. UIL will use the NCAA rules for instant replay with two exceptions. There will be no coaches’ challenges. All reviews will be initiated by the replay officials.  Additionally, targeting will not be called as a result of a review. Targeting will only be called by the officials on the field. All reviews will take place in a replay booth, with a collegiate replay official reviewing plays. 

“With all UIL State Championship football games at a single location, we have the technology and ability to utilize these powerful tools to make the state championships the best possible experience for coaches, players, officials and fans,” UIL Executive Director Dr. Charles Breithaupt said. “Instant replay will help ensure that the calls during the biggest games of the year are as correct as possible.” 

Replay will not be permitted during regular season games, or during playoff games prior to the state championship. 

“Because we play football by NCAA rules, which allow for instant replay, we have this opportunity. We are extremely excited to add instant replay to our state championship games,” UIL Director of Athletics Dr. Susan Elza said. “We’ve studied this topic thoroughly, and have had many conversations with officials and coaches. The consensus we’ve heard is that our game is ready for this and it will be a valuable addition.”

Guest ECBucFan
12 hours ago, sportsfan2017 said:

Breithaupt said. “Instant replay will help ensure that the calls during the biggest games of the year are as correct as possible.” 

Replay will not be permitted during regular season games, or during playoff games prior to the state championship. 

Does anyone really believe this?  Does anyone have any idea how things really work at the UIL? 

It will assuredly morph into the semifinal games, then all playoff games, then eventually all district games. Doesn't anyone remember adding "just" the second place team to the playoffs?

The UIL can't ever leave things well enough alone. They HAVE to tinker each year whether its needed or not.    

8 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Does anyone really believe this?  Does anyone have any idea how things really work at the UIL? 

It will assuredly morph into the semifinal games, then all playoff games, then eventually all district games. Doesn't anyone remember adding "just" the second place team to the playoffs?

The UIL can't ever leave things well enough alone. They HAVE to tinker each year whether its needed or not.    

I'm in favor of the replay in the championship game, but not beyond it.

I share ECBucFan's concern about a slippery slope.  I only wonder how long the UIL and its member schools will agree to play one game by one set of rules and the remainder of games by another. 

If all schools had the technology to do so, then the fear of expansion of replay would not be a problem.  However, because of budget constraints, most of the schools in the area are currently unable to upgrade to facilities many feel are necessary to compete and probably will not be able to do so anytime soon.  How do we think we think that schools can afford replay quality video equipment which will ultimately be mandated by the UIL?

And we know that they will ultimately mandate it.

11 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I'm in favor of the replay in the championship game, but not beyond it.

I share ECBucFan's concern about a slippery slope.  I only wonder how long the UIL and its member schools will agree to play one game by one set of rules and the remainder of games by another. 

If all schools had the technology to do so, then the fear of expansion of replay would not be a problem.  However, because of budget constraints, most of the schools in the area are currently unable to upgrade to facilities many feel are necessary to compete and probably will not be able to do so anytime soon.  How do we think we think that schools can afford replay quality video equipment which will ultimately be mandated by the UIL?

And we know that they will ultimately mandate it.

I was about to say the same thing about every team having the technology.   If the UIL mandates it, they should pay for it for every school.  They make enough money.   I know there are plenty of schools in Texas that can't afford to do it themselves.

Guest ECBucFan

It will be an unfunded mandate by the UIL. Then, one of two things happen: 1) The schools make their taxpayers cough it up, and expensive camera systems are installed across the state of Texas, because "its required" by the UIL. OR, 2) The UIL forces playoff games be moved to "So-Mo replay ready" stadiums. The  "So-Mo replay ready" stadiums are spelled :"J-E-R-R-Y-S"   

I can see the next step being playoffs only. If the UIL moved it past the state championship game. So that means all the schools would have to play at a College or NFL stadium. Which would make rent higher to pay. But come the second and third round most games are played at nfl and college venues. So the UIL will argue that. 

Guest ECBucFan
10 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

But come the second and third round most games are played at nfl and college venues. So the UIL will argue that. 

Maybe the larger schools, but 4A and down probably not. They mostly play at larger high school stadiums. Texan Drive in New Caney, Galena Park, Waco ISD, etc.