HARDIN-JEFFERSON OPEN

I don't know a lot about the HJ football program but I'm not sure the other programs should have to bow to a football coach for the football team to be successful. Never saw anything that says the football coach had to be the AD. If your  best candidate for AD happens to coach another sport sign him up. Not sure about the statement of it being easier for HJ to get better at football than stay decent in basketball either. If I'm not mistaken every HJ basketball team from the 7th grade thru the varsity won their respective districts this past year. Of course with realignment HJ will be in Silsbee's district next year and Silsbee varsity is loaded. If Coach Joubert does become the head football coach at HJ he will get the most out of the kids he has to work with but we all know that doesn't always translate into winning records. 

KOUNTZE     “Lions”

2014       F--           4-7-0          432-450         Duane Joubert
2015                      2-8-0          241-326         Duane Joubert
2016                      3-7-0          220-415         Duane Joubert
2017                      1-7-0          170-311         Duane Joubert

10-29 overall for Joubert.

1 playoff appearance. (2014)

17 minutes ago, bigdog said:

KOUNTZE     “Lions”

Kountze and HJ are similar in that basketball is king. HJ has had some moderate success lately and shown they are willing to support the team. Joubert would be familiar with the type of program he was stepping into and be more resourced at HJ than at Kountze. He is definitely a football guy who is able to coach basketball at a high level, which might endear him to the community. Being a hometown guy he could be a uniting leader rather than one who causes a FB vs BB mentality. It's a no brainer.....considering he is interested.

53 minutes ago, bigdog said:

KOUNTZE     “Lions”

Coaching has more to do with what you have to work with than anything.  To be fair... if not then the same coach would win the state championship every year.

Probably the AD job, he could find a good football coach . I'm not sure why everyone thinks the AD has to also be the Football coach. Your AD has to have great organizational skills first and foremost. That doesn't stop with strictly football guys. Now the stipends and money necessary may be a completely different topic. I don't know anything about the districts finances. 

33 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Probably the AD job, he could find a good football coach . I'm not sure why everyone thinks the AD has to also be the Football coach. Your AD has to have great organizational skills first and foremost. That doesn't stop with strictly football guys. Now the stipends and money necessary may be a completely different topic. I don't know anything about the districts finances. 

Find me a football program that is successful when a head coach of a sport other than football is the AD. Excluding districts with a stand alone AD. I bet there are few to none.

55 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Given the academics that HJISD could provide his family, they could find candidates for a football coach.  However,  a non-football AD would probably limit the pool.  Generally applying head coaches look toward getting the stipend to build toward the salary that they desire.  You are also placed in the area of administrator, wherein class obligations are lightened.

And the optics of that could potentially hinder the football coach search specifically at H-J.  Whether it is actually the case or not, HJ has the reputation of having its athletic program heavily slanted toward basketball.  Naming the basketball coach the AD might play right into that reputation in some candidates minds.

3 hours ago, whsalum said:

I guess we would first have to agree on the definition of a successful program. Some folks consider making the playoffs a success. In a 5 team district you can go 1-3 and make the playoffs. I don't consider that a success. Like I said earlier I don't know anything about the stipends or the HJISD budgets. I do know the most qualified guys to run athletic departments aren't always just football coaches. To simply hire an AD/HFC you eliminate a lot of very good qualified candidates. I hope HJ gets a good football coach in place soon for the players sake. With the football district they are in it's going to be challenging whomever they hire.

Like this

You don't see many separate  ADs  at the lower levels.  Mostly in the 6A and 5A levels and mostly in districts with multiple schools.  I can't think of any one school 5A districts or 4A and lower districts that separate the AD from the HC job.   That doesn't mean there aren't any though.

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

You don't see many separate  ADs  at the lower levels.  Mostly in the 6A and 5A levels and mostly in districts with multiple schools.  I can't think of any one school 5A districts or 4A and lower districts that separate the AD from the HC job.   That doesn't mean there aren't any though.

I agree with you completely

However, how many sub 5A programs with an athletic director other than the Head Football Coach have a successful football program? And to answer a previous poster's question, I don't think simply making the playoffs is successful. Especially, in today's scenario where 4 teams make it.