HARDIN-JEFFERSON OPEN

49 minutes ago, BlueOwl said:

I’m not sure about Joubert. He seems like more of a basketball guy. His football record is less than impressive. 

Have you followed Kountze football? In the 15 years I have lived here, I believe their only successful seasons have come under Joubert. Isn't HJ more of a basketball school? With that said, I do not think he will be there unless he wants to stop coaching basketball, they already have a basketball coach.

34 minutes ago, Volleyball said:

Have you followed Kountze football? In the 15 years I have lived here, I believe their only successful seasons have come under Joubert. Isn't HJ more of a basketball school? With that said, I do not think he will be there unless he wants to stop coaching basketball, they already have a basketball coach.

They may have a basketball coach, but Joubert may be the best assistant in the state!! I am sure if he wanted to coach basketball, they would find him a seat on the bench.

44 minutes ago, Volleyball said:

I didn’t know 10-29 since 2014 was successful. My mistake 

57 minutes ago, BlueOwl said:

I didn’t know 10-29 since 2014 was successful. My mistake 

You are correct...that is not a fantastic record. However, don't you think being successful is a little bit deeper than just winning and losing? He may be a good football coach...he may not be. I don't know but I'm not going to judge him on his win loss record at a school that traditionally does not win much in football. 

I thought he was the coach when they broke that playoff drought years back. AHuddleston says that was under Franklin, but wasn't Joubert the coach when they returned to the playoffs the next year? If you want to win, you have to have athletes. Bill Belichick was 36-44 in five years with the Browns. 214-74 with the Patriots over 18 years. Is he that much better of a coach since he left Cleveland? I'm sure he's better because of experience, but it has just been a better situation with some great players along the way. Point is, Joubert has had a good season with some athletes. Maybe it was a fluke? Maybe it was the only time he has been able to field kids where they weren't completely outmatched? Maybe his win/loss record would be completely different in a different situation. Do you think he would have the same win/loss record over the past four years if he was the head coach at WOS? No, he would be in the playoffs making deep runs because the level of athletes (not saying he would have made it to the title game). Maybe he would do better there. Maybe not, but I don't think he would do much different than Martel and Sloan. 

45 minutes ago, The Icon said:

If you want to hire a puppet to coach football so you can stay decent at thump-thump, be my guest. I'm sure WO-S, Liberty, Silsbee and HF will really appreciate it. 

There are about 7 people in all of Sour Lake that care about football. For the rest of the community it is just an excuse to have cheerleaders, a marching band and a drill team.

The HJ job is tough for anyone to take.  It does not pay very well, LOW BUDGET, the district will not improve facilities(you can see that by not having baseball lights.. still the laughing stock of the state), Jr. high in cubicles(FEMA will not give them any money until they raise the old high school up like 2 ft.. which will not happen), the people in the district will not pass a bond(they feel the money from last bond was squandered, things that were supposed to be done were not), new AD will not be able to run a 4A athletic program correctly without interference from other head coaching sports (this will not change, look at Admin., any other school in the state of Texas if the head of other sports have any problems with the way the AD is running things... they would be gone.. that is not going to happen at HJ. 

Until these things are fixed.. HJ will be nothing but a stepping stone and will get only coaches that will use it that way.

3 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

I thought Kountze made the playoffs with Tracy Franklin both years.  Am I wrong? I would consider that success. However, I do think Duane is a great coach. By the way, those are the only playoff appearances since the 70's.

Happened to have been the first year to have 4 teams make the playoffs.  But yes..they did get 4th and get in.  I'm pretty sure there were some years prior that they also got 4th but only 3 teams went at the time.  Including the year before Franklin got there.  I think I read somewhere that they had a fairly decent year back when Hodges was at the helm.  Neither here nor there..

This actually wouldn't be a bad job for whoever gets it.  4A D2 is such a watered down joke of a division that HJ could potentially have some decent 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round runs spread out..as long as the classifications don't change much.  But for the time being, I think it's gonna be easier for HJ to get better in football and harder to stay good in basketball.  Kountze is slowly falling off in basketball so maybe it'd be a good time for Joubert to hit the road.

from my understanding Hj has typically been a school with tons of talent that never plays football. Not sure if the coaches have problems sharing students athletes or if the students just buy into the idea that basketball is king at Hj. That program needs a coach who will make the program appealing to the kids. But if its true that the district is not doing the best to make the program all it could be then I understand why Sloan left and also why it will be hard to get a good replacement. How much talent does HJ have returning? this could be a big selling point

40 minutes ago, Barney Fife said:

from my understanding Hj has typically been a school with tons of talent that never plays football. Not sure if the coaches have problems sharing students athletes or if the students just buy into the idea that basketball is king at Hj. That program needs a coach who will make the program appealing to the kids. But if its true that the district is not doing the best to make the program all it could be then I understand why Sloan left and also why it will be hard to get a good replacement. How much talent does HJ have returning? this could be a big selling point

when was the last time HJ hired a black football coach? just curious

and maybe i am wrong, but didnt duane joubert play college football and was a stud athlete at HJ (qb) back in the early 90's?

once again, i know he has done well with basketball but its my understanding that he is football guy 

51 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

when was the last time HJ hired a black football coach? just curious

and maybe i am wrong, but didnt duane joubert play college football and was a stud athlete at HJ (qb) back in the early 90's?

once again, i know he has done well with basketball but its my understanding that he is football guy 

Yeah he played at HJ back in the day. So if he did end up getting the job I think he would be at HJ for a while. Unlike the last 2. That’s one positive about him. 

I've known coach Joubert ever since he has been in Kountze. I guess I never thought about him being black. Not that it matters. I've always found him to be courteous, very responsive to my questions and a heck of a good guy. I would hate to see him leave Kountze but if he did I would certainly wish him the best. By the way as I understand it after playing football and graduating from Hardin Jefferson he played football at West Texas A&M and then in the Canadian Football League for several years. Even after he returned to Southeast Texas he played for the Beaumont Drillers. 

I think he likes coaching football but I can tell you this.... if coach Sigler decided to retire from SHS I would be calling the Superintendent asking them to consider Joubert as the next coach. 

He is a fine man and a great person to have around kids. If he were to leave Kountze and go to HJ it would be HJ's gain and Kountze's loss.