Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PantherTakeover

GCM

42 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I know this question is not directed at me, but I would like to answer.

IMO, regardless of the sport, in High School there need to be continuity of coaching. Every coach (including the high and might head coach) needs to be coaching as many kids as possible.

1.There needs to be fundamentals taught at every level.

2. There needs to be a mental approach to the game being taught.

3. There needs to be strength training.

4. There needs to a concept of TEAM, a philosophy or an approach to the game, that is preached from the top down that ALL players can buy into.

This is not about wins and losses this is about teaching kids RESPECT for the game and HOW to play the game properly.

Right on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I know this question is not directed at me, but I would like to answer.

IMO, regardless of the sport, in High School there need to be continuity of coaching. Every coach (including the high and might head coach) needs to be coaching as many kids as possible.

1.There needs to be fundamentals taught at every level.

2. There needs to be a mental approach to the game being taught.

3. There needs to be strength training.

4. There needs to a concept of TEAM, a philosophy or an approach to the game, that is preached from the top down that ALL players can buy into.

In my opinion, everything in your program feeds off of #4. Unfortunately we are in a "look at me" society with Twitter, SnapChat, and social media in general. Too many times we put our individual accomplishments above the accomplishments of the TEAM. Not sure how you fix that.

Baseball is one of the most humbling sports there is. It's a sport of repeated failure. Where being successful 30% of the time can put you in the Hall of Fame. You have to lean to accept failure without accepting defeat. Losing should hurt.

For some reason GCM has not played up to their abilities. Pointing the finger at the coach as the sole reason is not 100% accurate or fair to him. However, like all sports, the coach is ultimately responsible.

KF89 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

In my opinion, everything in your program feeds off of #4. Unfortunately we are in a "look at me" society with Twitter, SnapChat, and social media in general. Too many times we put our individual accomplishments above the accomplishments of the TEAM. Not sure how you fix that.

Baseball is one of the most humbling sports there is. It's a sport of repeated failure. Where being successful 30% of the time can put you in the Hall of Fame. You have to lean to accept failure without accepting defeat. Losing should hurt.

For some reason GCM has not played up to their abilities. Pointing the finger at the coach as the sole reason is not 100% accurate or fair to him. However, like all sports, the coach is ultimately responsible.

I would say it is his fault if he is allowing players to be selfishly bad teammates. Cancers, they are called. 

GCMNation5 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GCMNation5 said:

Lg.  What would you ask for or expect from a high school program at each level?

A coach that will play the best 9(varsity level). My sons development came from his own determination, hours at the gym and dedication to work on his craft. Didn’t leave it up to the head coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LGbaseball94 said:

A coach that will play the best 9(varsity level). My sons development came from his own determination, hours at the gym and dedication to work on his craft. Didn’t leave it up to the head coach. 

LG, self development is a great thing, talent is a great thing.

But, the job of the COACH is to coach, and coaching involves a multitude of things.

If a coach is not teaching TEAM, fundamentals, discipline, strength, endurance and HOW to play the game then the coach is failing the program.

I'm not saying this is happening at GCM, this is just a general assessment of coaching in general.

Tigers2010 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 3:16 PM, GCMNation5 said:

Just out of curiosity how well do you know the baseball program? No where did I or have you ever seen me say I did not like the baseball coach.

If anyone can look at the talent on this team the past two years and say this program hasn't underachieved go ahead.  They have plenty of talent at all 3 levels. Varsity beat Kingwood.  They have talent.  

I have followed the program when Coach Thames and Coach Rupp was there and the current coach Williams.  I will agree that the past years they have had talent and they do this year.  It's been a frustrating year to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 8:06 AM, PlayActionPass said:

LG, self development is a great thing, talent is a great thing.

But, the job of the COACH is to coach, and coaching involves a multitude of things.

If a coach is not teaching TEAM, fundamentals, discipline, strength, endurance and HOW to play the game then the coach is failing the program.

I'm not saying this is happening at GCM, this is just a general assessment of coaching in general.

If they do not know the fundamentals of the game by the time they are on VARSITY then that is a huge problem don't you think?  Most kids that play VARSITY in high school knows what it takes, I mean I guess I might be assuming to much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 0:34 PM, Bandwagon Ranger said:

With 2 quality starters and 1 relief pitcher I can make the playoffs at any level. 

Really?  It is safe to assume that you have to have some hitting in there to back it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BaytownFan said:

If they do not know the fundamentals of the game by the time they are on VARSITY then that is a huge problem don't you think?  Most kids that play VARSITY in high school knows what it takes, I mean I guess I might be assuming to much.

I think we were talking about the TOTAL program, not just Varsity. But regardless, there are many Baseball fundamentals that High School players are unaware of. Fundamentals of the game are rarely taught anymore.

GCMNation5 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, Tigers2010 said:

I would say it is his fault if he is allowing players to be selfishly bad teammates. Cancers, they are called. 

#4 just joined the team and guess what he is good and YEP he is COCKY cause he can back it up!  He came into the program and has moved some players out of their positions, from what I have seen he has earned his spot.  The coach at GCM keeps him in check, and all the others from what you see on the field, they are high school kids who emotions run rampant they are not different from any other team.  As from what I see of the team there are no cancers on the team but there is a lot of JEALOUSY and you know how that fits into a program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BaytownFan said:

#4 just joined the team and guess what he is good and YEP he is COCKY cause he can back it up!  He came into the program and has moved some players out of their positions, from what I have seen he has earned his spot.  The coach at GCM keeps him in check, and all the others from what you see on the field, they are high school kids who emotions run rampant they are not different from any other team.  As from what I see of the team there are no cancers on the team but there is a lot of JEALOUSY and you know how that fits into a program.

Interesting perspective. 

Tigers2010 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Actually, they can manage a 3 way tie for 4th. Finish with Atascocita and North Shore.

True

In other news, I saw where the Head Softball job is open, is the Baseball job soon to follow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0