GCM

17 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I know this question is not directed at me, but I would like to answer.

IMO, regardless of the sport, in High School there need to be continuity of coaching. Every coach (including the high and might head coach) needs to be coaching as many kids as possible.

1.There needs to be fundamentals taught at every level.

2. There needs to be a mental approach to the game being taught.

3. There needs to be strength training.

4. There needs to a concept of TEAM, a philosophy or an approach to the game, that is preached from the top down that ALL players can buy into.

This is not about wins and losses this is about teaching kids RESPECT for the game and HOW to play the game properly.

Right on.

4 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I know this question is not directed at me, but I would like to answer.

IMO, regardless of the sport, in High School there need to be continuity of coaching. Every coach (including the high and might head coach) needs to be coaching as many kids as possible.

1.There needs to be fundamentals taught at every level.

2. There needs to be a mental approach to the game being taught.

3. There needs to be strength training.

4. There needs to a concept of TEAM, a philosophy or an approach to the game, that is preached from the top down that ALL players can buy into.

In my opinion, everything in your program feeds off of #4. Unfortunately we are in a "look at me" society with Twitter, SnapChat, and social media in general. Too many times we put our individual accomplishments above the accomplishments of the TEAM. Not sure how you fix that.

Baseball is one of the most humbling sports there is. It's a sport of repeated failure. Where being successful 30% of the time can put you in the Hall of Fame. You have to lean to accept failure without accepting defeat. Losing should hurt.

For some reason GCM has not played up to their abilities. Pointing the finger at the coach as the sole reason is not 100% accurate or fair to him. However, like all sports, the coach is ultimately responsible.

17 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

In my opinion, everything in your program feeds off of #4. Unfortunately we are in a "look at me" society with Twitter, SnapChat, and social media in general. Too many times we put our individual accomplishments above the accomplishments of the TEAM. Not sure how you fix that.

Baseball is one of the most humbling sports there is. It's a sport of repeated failure. Where being successful 30% of the time can put you in the Hall of Fame. You have to lean to accept failure without accepting defeat. Losing should hurt.

For some reason GCM has not played up to their abilities. Pointing the finger at the coach as the sole reason is not 100% accurate or fair to him. However, like all sports, the coach is ultimately responsible.

I would say it is his fault if he is allowing players to be selfishly bad teammates. Cancers, they are called. 

4 hours ago, GCMNation5 said:

Lg.  What would you ask for or expect from a high school program at each level?

A coach that will play the best 9(varsity level). My sons development came from his own determination, hours at the gym and dedication to work on his craft. Didn’t leave it up to the head coach. 

14 hours ago, LGbaseball94 said:

A coach that will play the best 9(varsity level). My sons development came from his own determination, hours at the gym and dedication to work on his craft. Didn’t leave it up to the head coach. 

LG, self development is a great thing, talent is a great thing.

But, the job of the COACH is to coach, and coaching involves a multitude of things.

If a coach is not teaching TEAM, fundamentals, discipline, strength, endurance and HOW to play the game then the coach is failing the program.

I'm not saying this is happening at GCM, this is just a general assessment of coaching in general.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:16 PM, GCMNation5 said:

Just out of curiosity how well do you know the baseball program? No where did I or have you ever seen me say I did not like the baseball coach.

If anyone can look at the talent on this team the past two years and say this program hasn't underachieved go ahead.  They have plenty of talent at all 3 levels. Varsity beat Kingwood.  They have talent.  

I have followed the program when Coach Thames and Coach Rupp was there and the current coach Williams.  I will agree that the past years they have had talent and they do this year.  It's been a frustrating year to say the least.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:06 AM, PlayActionPass said:

LG, self development is a great thing, talent is a great thing.

But, the job of the COACH is to coach, and coaching involves a multitude of things.

If a coach is not teaching TEAM, fundamentals, discipline, strength, endurance and HOW to play the game then the coach is failing the program.

I'm not saying this is happening at GCM, this is just a general assessment of coaching in general.

If they do not know the fundamentals of the game by the time they are on VARSITY then that is a huge problem don't you think?  Most kids that play VARSITY in high school knows what it takes, I mean I guess I might be assuming to much.

29 minutes ago, BaytownFan said:

If they do not know the fundamentals of the game by the time they are on VARSITY then that is a huge problem don't you think?  Most kids that play VARSITY in high school knows what it takes, I mean I guess I might be assuming to much.

I think we were talking about the TOTAL program, not just Varsity. But regardless, there are many Baseball fundamentals that High School players are unaware of. Fundamentals of the game are rarely taught anymore.

On 4/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, Tigers2010 said:

I would say it is his fault if he is allowing players to be selfishly bad teammates. Cancers, they are called. 

#4 just joined the team and guess what he is good and YEP he is COCKY cause he can back it up!  He came into the program and has moved some players out of their positions, from what I have seen he has earned his spot.  The coach at GCM keeps him in check, and all the others from what you see on the field, they are high school kids who emotions run rampant they are not different from any other team.  As from what I see of the team there are no cancers on the team but there is a lot of JEALOUSY and you know how that fits into a program.

8 hours ago, BaytownFan said:

#4 just joined the team and guess what he is good and YEP he is COCKY cause he can back it up!  He came into the program and has moved some players out of their positions, from what I have seen he has earned his spot.  The coach at GCM keeps him in check, and all the others from what you see on the field, they are high school kids who emotions run rampant they are not different from any other team.  As from what I see of the team there are no cancers on the team but there is a lot of JEALOUSY and you know how that fits into a program.

Interesting perspective.