A Question About Medicine Warnings

Hagar

First, for those that don't know, I'm no spring chicken.  A lot of us older people don't have near the energy we use to have.  One reason why is the meds.  You look at the warnings - may cause drowsiness or make you lethargic.  My question is, why don't they have a medicine that has a warning - may give you unlimited energy.  May make you want to get out of the recliner and do something.  Even forget the afternoon nap.  I ain't holding my breath.

On 4/9/2018 at 6:53 PM, REBgp said:

First, for those that don't know, I'm no spring chicken.  A lot of us older people don't have near the energy we use to have.  One reason why is the meds.  You look at the warnings - may cause drowsiness or make you lethargic.  My question is, why don't they have a medicine that has a warning - may give you unlimited energy.  May make you want to get out of the recliner and do something.  Even forget the afternoon nap.  I ain't holding my breath.

Some of the meds out there today have so many side effects that are worse than what you are treating. You have to listen closely. I know they have to cover all the bases in their disclaimer, but it makes me wonder how people can take that risk.

11 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I’m especially leery of meds that call out uncontrollable diarrhea as one of the side effects.

Yeah, the treatment for heartburn is uncontrollable diarrhea. LMAO.

Some side effects include death. That's what I try to stay away from.

...... And another thing..... Since we have been warned of these side effects, including death, does this excuse all the drug companies? It sure didn't help the tobacco companies.

23 minutes ago, baddog said:

Yeah, the treatment for heartburn is uncontrollable diarrhea. LMAO.

Some side effects include death. That's what I try to stay away from.

...... And another thing..... Since we have been warned of these side effects, including death, does this excuse all the drug companies? It sure didn't help the tobacco companies.

lol...yeah, I guess death would be the worst side effect.

Most of those warnings are put on there to cover their arse if something goes wrong. If a side effect is reported during any of the studies or trials they have to put them in there. One of the people using the medicine in a trial could just have bad day and decide they have a severe headache, then "severe headaches may occur when using this medicine".

55 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Most of those warnings are put on there to cover their arse if something goes wrong. If a side effect is reported during any of the studies or trials they have to put them in there. One of the people using the medicine in a trial could just have bad day and decide they have a severe headache, then "severe headaches may occur when using this medicine".

I agree, side effects are listed in part to cover the pharma companies, but it is a true side effect rather than an off hand comment by a research participant that causes them to list it.

Lots of time and LOTS of money goes into approving a drug for general population consumption.

This is the hidden content, please

14 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I agree, side effects are listed in part to cover the pharma companies, but it is a true side effect rather than an off hand comment by a research participant that causes them to list it.

Lots of time and LOTS of money goes into approving a drug for general population consumption.

True story.  And about those warnings - one only has to look at what Harvard calls the "Placebo Effect" to see how some they test the medicine on, may have symptoms, real or imagined. They actually checked many physical results of placebos, including brain functions, and somehow the brain actually seems to make the results (good or bad) happen.  That's some weird poo, and confirms what most of us have heard, the brain is an untapped resource (especially in Liberals.  Lmbo, the devil made me say that).