High Island HC Steps Down

WOSgrad

High Island Head Football and Baseball Coach John Bronkhorst has stepped down as head football coach.  He will remain with High Island baseball until the end of the season after which he will end his tenure at High Island ISD.

Coach, thank you for your help over the years and good luck at your next stop.

33 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

That's crazy. He's done a really good job there and seemed like he was invested in the school and community. I'd assume 6 man coaches in SETX are hard to come by.....especially good ones.

It will be very difficult to hire a replacement of his caliber.

2 hours ago, The Icon said:

Back when they were 11 Man, I knew some area coaches that eyeballed this job as a Retire-Rehire spot. Coach at High Island, live on Crystal Beach. Not a bad way to retire and keep some skin in the game in my opinion. 

Except those coaches probably want to coach real football.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 11:38 AM, 2wedge said:

But that's 11 man?

And?

I'm kidding.

I have more experience coaching 11-man than 6-man. Nothing has been finalized in regards to my situation but hopefully everything will happen by next week.

Yes, I did resign from High Island before having another job lined up. I did this so the school would have more time to find a quality coach to come in; that's important for me in regards to the kids. 

I am excited about the work that we did at High Island where the football program is moving forward. 

30 minutes ago, coachbronk said:

And?

I'm kidding.

I have more experience coaching 11-man than 6-man. Nothing has been finalized in regards to my situation but hopefully everything will happen by next week.

Yes, I did resign from High Island before having another job lined up. I did this so the school would have more time to find a quality coach to come in; that's important for me in regards to the kids. 

I am excited about the work that we did at High Island where the football program is moving forward. 

Coach, the real question is whether the six-man chats will continue??

5 hours ago, coachbronk said:

And?

I'm kidding.

Good luck coach. You did a heck of a job at HI and they’ll have issues finding someone to fill your shoes. 

Glad you can take a joke! 

• 1 month later...

I wanted to let everyone know that High Island has hired former FW Pascal head football coach Matt Miracle as its new head football coach. 

I have been offered and accepted the Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach position at Bastrop High School. 

I'm excited about this opportunity but I will definitely miss Southeast Texas and all the great coaches, media folks and people I have met down here the last 3 years.

Coach Bronkhorst

15 minutes ago, coachbronk said:

I wanted to let everyone know that High Island has hired former FW Pascal head football coach Matt Miracle as its new head football coach. 

I have been offered and accepted the Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach position at Bastrop High School. 

I'm excited about this opportunity but I will definitely miss Southeast Texas and all the great coaches, media folks and people I have met down here the last 3 years.

Coach Bronkhorst

Best of luck over at Bastrop, Coach!

Guest ECBucFan

H-I graduated 14 Seniors this year. Thats a pretty healthy number, all things (like hurricanes) considered. Best wishes for continued success for the H-I community!

18 hours ago, coachbronk said:

Coach Bronkhorst

You are a class act sir! It's refreshing to see you move on but still prove you care about High Island by keeping up with their search. Best of luck at Bastrop!