What Are Your Favorite Quotes ?

Hagar

There are some real gems out there.  I'll start it off with a couple.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to create a menace to society.  -  Theodore Roosevelt 

And this one I just read today, but couldn't resist putting it in here.

There are 3 kinds of men.  The ones who learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.  -  Will Rogers

“We spend 8 hours a day, for 10 months a year, for nearly 17 years sending our kids to school to prepare them for life.  In all of that time there is never a course in overcoming adversity, goal setting, sacrifice, perseverance, teammates or family.  I guess that’s what football is for.”

JOHN A. PASSARO

“I’ll put you through hell, but at the end of it all we’ll be champions.”

BEAR BRYANT

“I saw Cobb make plays that no one else would dare to try.  He was a master at calculating the odds, and he was in a class by himself on the base paths.  He had brains in his feet.”

BRANCH RICKEY

“He was the strangest of all our national sports idols, but not even his disagreeable character could destroy the image of his greatness as a ballplayer.  Ty Cobb was the best.  That seemed to be all he wanted.”

JIMMY CANNON

“The base paths belonged to me, the runner.  The rules gave me the right.  I always went into a bag full speed, feet first.  I had sharp spikes on my shoes.  If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his own fault.”

TY COBB

“I recall when Cobb played a series with each leg a mass of raw flesh.  He had a temperature of 103, and the doctors ordered him to bed for several days, but he got three hits, stole three bases, and won the game.”

GRANTLAND RICE

Somehow liberals have been unable to acquire from life what conservatives seemed to be endowed with at birth:. Namely, a healthy skepticism of the powers of Government agencies to do good.

Senator Patrick Moynihan (D-NY)

On 3/28/2018 at 6:23 PM, REBgp said:

There are some real gems out there.  I'll start it off with a couple.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to create a menace to society.  -  Theodore Roosevelt 

You got the right guy in Teddy Roosevelt... you just missed his best quote. 

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.