Silsbee vs Somerset

14 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Well, it's a free country.  They can give it a go.  But if it was me?  I'd have called Coach King at Argyle Saturday night.  I'd be studying the Argyle/Silsbee game closer that Pasture studied microbes.  I'd choreograph this thing like the director of the Bolshoi Ballet choreographs Swan Lake trying to duplicate what happened last year in that semifinal - except for that last shot of course.  I'd move that about an inch and a half to the left. 

One problem with studying Argyle film, it didn't include footage of a 6'4 guard who handles the ball as an elite point guard. Devon can penetrate and get to the basketball anytime he wants to. Not only does he handle the ball well he's also a very crafty finisher at the rim a big man's nightmare! 

1 hour ago, SLD2012 said:

One problem with studying Argyle film, it didn't include footage of a 6'4 guard who handles the ball as an elite point guard. Devon can penetrate and get to the basketball anytime he wants to. Not only does he handle the ball well he's also a very crafty finisher at the rim a big man's nightmare! 

I'd still try it.  If they don't try something radical the best they can hope for is a good showing, a 9 or 10 point loss like the Connolly game.

Intangibles.  Looking at the emotional clips and the photos from the post game at Huntsville it would be hard to tell that these are the defending champions and this is their third straight trip to state.  It's brand new like, "I can't believe it!  We've finally done it!"

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and basketball court    

So much for being satisfied with one championship.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:25 AM, Tigers2010 said:

Not a team left in 4A that will "push" Silsbee. Barring a catastrophe, Silsbee cruises to back to back titles.

Silsbee always keeps a chip on their shoulders. Play your game and have fun. They leave out tomorrow heading to San Antonio. Awesome and so proud of the coached, kids, and community. 

2 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

So no, he shouldn't play a factor. I don't see why he would be brought to Sam if he hasn't touched the floor in a month. Oh well, live and learn, hopefully.

JMO -  It makes sense to bring him. He's (family) part of the team. If he's suspended and not kicked off the team. You keep the kid close and you still have a chance to teach / reach him. I guess he messed up in some form or fashion. He's paying the price and learning a lesson. You leave him behind (he could feel thrown away ) you may lose him to outside factors. 

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I only knew of the one who was suspended before playoffs.

You say didn't play much. We only played 7 players Saturday.

I didn’t mean much this weekend, I meant overall.  We had one that didn’t suit out either game last weekend for a medical reason, and another who suited out Friday but was actually behind the bench in street clothes Saturday.

I will not mention any players names on here.  Now toward# the end of the regular season, we had 16 varsity players.  Now if you look at the state shirts that John Kirby showed on Facebook, there is only 14 names.  The playoff shirts at the beginning had 15.   One name missing that was suspended before the playoffs and now the other last weekend.

I believe that Silsbee will win back to backs but they better play the games one at a time. I think this is the 17th time I've had a team to cover at a state tournament. I think that in basketball size does matter. To me in most instances it is a much bigger factor than depth. LaMarque almost beat Lincoln two years ago with size. They had a big lead and if Lincoln had not mounted a huge come-back Silsbee would have probably already had its back to back state championships. Depth becomes a factor when people get in foul trouble. At this point in the season most of these kids can play a whole game with little or no relief. They are in shape. Fouls are a bigger factor than being tired. 

I think the team most likely to pull off an upset is Seminole. They appear to have outside shooters, bulk and height. If things fall right for them they could give someone trouble. 

I haven't seen any film on Carter but the coaches tell me that they are a team to be feared. 

Well, Seminole certainly isn't a skinny team.  They have a forward who looks like a nose tackle.  We can surely out jump him but I don't think any one of our guys can move him.   Two probably could.  He's 6'6 and weighs 285.  

Seminole should give Carter a game.  They won by roughly the same margin against common opponents.  If Seminole it will prove they are a team to be reckoned with.