Silsbee vs Somerset

2 hours ago, bradyb said:

Y’all will see what I’m saying. McCain can play 1-5 at the Hs level. 

Very true.  And we'll probably see him at 2-5 before it's all said and done.  I'm sure he could run the offense if asked to but I think we're okay at the No. 1 spot.  The word "okay" being the biggest understatement ever.

Someset is about 23 minutes from the Alamo Dome.  They are so close that all they are doing is having early release on Friday.  And it's a really really big deal over there.  They had two huge wins as well over the weekend.  Their defeat of Brazosport is just as important for them as our win over Yates was for us.

I don't know when they actually go on sale, but folks in Somerset are already lining up for tickets allocated to SISD. 

I bet a bunch of people who miss out on the $16 tickets will go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the $130 tournament ticket.  There are still quite a few seats available. 

Plus there's the Cinderella factor, unaffiliated attendees will usually root for the supposed underdog.  And of course, the Carter folks will hang around hoping to see an upset.  All this combines make Friday's match practically a home game for the Bulldogs.

I would caution them to remember that the No. 2 ranked 4A team, with one of, or maybe the best record in the state, with size and talent and awesome depth and no apparent weaknesses scored 103 points in the Regional final..... and it wasn't nearly enough.

22 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Someset is about 23 minutes from the Alamo Dome.  They are so close that all they are doing is having early release on Friday.  And it's a really really big deal over there.  They had two huge wins as well over the weekend.  Their defeat of Brazosport is just as important for them as our win over Yates was for us.

I don't know when they actually go on sale, but folks in Somerset are already lining up for tickets allocated to SISD. 

I bet a bunch of people who miss out on the $16 tickets will go ahead and bite the bullet and buy the $130 tournament ticket.  There are still quite a few seats available. 

Plus there's the Cinderella factor, unaffiliated attendees will usually root for the supposed underdog.  And of course, the Carter folks will hang around hoping to see an upset.  All this combines make Friday's match practically a home game for the Bulldogs.

I would caution them to remember that the No. 2 ranked 4A team, with one of, or maybe the best record in the state, with size and talent and awesome depth and no apparent weaknesses scored 103 points in the Regional final..... and it wasn't nearly enough.

Silsbee 107

Someset 63

5 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Carter is good brother 

Yes indeed they are.  And they face tougher competition during the regular season.  Region 2 always sends a worthy team.

The only chink was how hard they were pushed in the third round by unranked Wilmer 81-80.  So I don't imagine they'll be looking past Seminole. They know that if an unranked can challenge them like that they'd better respect NO. 10.  The 1:00 game should be a good one.

12 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Yates was also good and it ended by 17. I don't doubt Carter will be good and I don't think Silsbee will beat the breaks off them. But I don't think it will be a single digit game. I would bet Silsbee wins out by 12+ each game. 

I don't want to jinx the Tigers but really that makes sense. 

The Tigers have only one problem against Somerset and that's the height difference.  Somerset is taller than anybody we've played.  We've seen as good or better than the Bulldogs in every other facet and handled it.  But 6'10" Jacob Harvey can play.  He scored 21 against West Oso and he played most of the game.  He will be effective and a force to reckoned with.  He will alter our style of play inside.  

Somerset on the other hand has a bunch of problems.  I think the biggest concern is to keep out of foul trouble.  If Harvey has to sit down for an extended period there's just no road for them.  Silsbee has shown a knack for drawing fouls against opponents' bigs.  Then there's Silsbee's speed and full court defense.  The Tigers aren't maniacal like Yates but they pressure you a bit and then they sprint down on offense.  Opponents can deal with these things but it's tiring mentally and physically.   The Tigers can get really hot from 3pt land.  Not just high school but NBA three point land.  And finally there's that 4th quarter thing the Tigers do.  Prayer is the only counter measure for that.

4 hours ago, Who That said:

I watched Video on them they are actually going to try and run with the Tigers. Lmao...  So just sit back and wacth bush will take care of #0 and Devon & Barnes & Adams will take care of big boy #25 .... Silsbee will have so many steels in this game it's going to be funny just wacth just my opinion.  :)

Well, it's a free country.  They can give it a go.  But if it was me?  I'd have called Coach King at Argyle Saturday night.  I'd be studying the Argyle/Silsbee game closer that Pasture studied microbes.  I'd choreograph this thing like the director of the Bolshoi Ballet choreographs Swan Lake trying to duplicate what happened last year in that semifinal - except for that last shot of course.  I'd move that about an inch and a half to the left. 

What limited video I've seen they like to play half court.  They work the ball around & try to get it in to the big guy, or an open three by that forward, or someone else.  Makes sense to me.  I'm sure the Tigers will be watching the passing lanes.

Here's some highlights on their PG Isaiah Rivera...he leads them in scoring and assists...from this video, the competition he is playing average at best...The Tigers are not just gonna let him walk the ball up the court, or penetrate at will.  He has a very good set shot(not really a jump shot), but he is good from deep. Now...he is a REALLY GOOD passer as you will see in the video..

17 minutes ago, terancec said:

Here's some highlights on their PG Isaiah Rivera...he leads them in scoring and assists...from this video, the competition he is playing average at best...The Tigers are not just gonna let him walk the ball up the court, or penetrate at will.  He has a very good set shot(not really a jump shot), but he is good from deep. Now...he is a REALLY GOOD passer as you will see in the video..

Interesting video.  Rivera is their man.  Talented and well schooled - that young man has played a lot of basketball.  The defense in the video looks like lesser district opponents.  It's a little softer than that he'll face in San Antonio so he'll have to rise to the occasion.  He'll get his points against the Tigers I'm sure, in the 24 range.  Silsbee will just have to match him.  Shaping up to be a very good game.

3 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Interesting video.  Rivera is their man.  Talented and well schooled - that young man has played a lot of basketball.  The defense in the video looks like lesser district opponents.  It's a little softer than that he'll face in San Antonio so he'll have to rise to the occasion.  He'll get his points against the Tigers I'm sure, in the 24 range.  Silsbee will just have to match him.  Shaping up to be a very good game.

..understatement of the year

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, bradyb said:

Silsbee is not a “solid team” though. I’m telling you man it’s gonna be ugly 

after I originally put solid, I went back and edited it to say "good" teams.  Brazosport was #3 in the state, and West Oso #15.  But I agree with you, Silsbee is elite, not solid or good.  That being said, I think Somerset is no worse than Connally, who Silsbee beat by 9.  so a lot will depend on matchups, and what kind of impact Somerset's big guys can have down low.  But this is certainly a game Silsbee could run away with.