Silsbee vs Somerset

Well right off the bat you have two teams that couldn't be more different.  Silsbee is somewhat undersized inside and Somerset starts a 6'10" center and a 6'7" forward.

Barnes will be fronting a man 8" taller than he.  Should be fun.  Bring it on.  The Tigers are obviously much greater than the sum of their parts.

I guess the question is is their bigs any good? Just being big ain't gonna cut it if they're slow and clumsy with no hands. Not to mention if their guards are not very good, then you can forget about it.

They must have done something right to get this far though. It'd be foolish to look past them.

I never heard of Somerset until they upset Brazosport. I don't think anyone was paying much attention to them, up until now.  As much as I can tell from looking around on the internet that's a dangerous team.  They got a 6'10" post who is good at close range.  He can also hit from outside.  They have a 6'1 pg, Isaiah Rivera, who has decent handles.  Not sure how good he can shoot.  Then they got a 6'4 forward, who i think is also their football QB.  

Silsbee will probably have to pressure their guards but not get in foul trouble.  Hopefully the refs won't call it too tight.   Try to get them to run.  Are they (somerset) as good as Argyle at slowing it down?  I doubt it.  But then Argyle didn't have a 6'10" center.

Neither one of their bigs looks very athletic. One is a twig and the other looks slow and kinda fat. We'll see, I guess. They play in one of the weaker regions, although all that really matters now is how you play your next game.

Wouldn't mind Levelland part 2 come game time. I'm hoping we jump on them early and never give them hope.

The 6’7” player is their quarterback and received an offer to play quarterback for LSU when he was in jr high. His mother is a Detmer as in Ty Detmer. So, I expect him to be somewhat athletic but the 6’10” guy is a twig and doesn’t look particularly athletic. 

The Tigers need to get a good lead so Somerset cannot stay in the slow down game. We should be ok judging by the videos I have seen as long as we don’t try to play their game. And they are not very deep so our running game should affect them a good bit.

3 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Somerset has some size at 6'10 and 6'7 which means we will need to crash the boards. Silsbee will be the faster and more athletic team. Try to speed them up as you know they will try to play slow. Pressure them into mistakes and cause havoc. 

Silsbee 60

Somerset 46

Somerset has a 6'2" pg with good handles, Isaiah Rivera.  He didn't play last year against Brazosport because he had a broken leg.   If he had played it might of made a big difference.   Him, that 6'10" center and that 6'5" forward.  Those are the ones Silsbee has to lookout for.

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Somerset beat a couple of solid teams at regionals to get here.  What I really am curious about was their 4-point win against a team with a 13-20 record in the first round of the playoffs. That result tells me they’re plenty beatable.

Silsbee is not a “solid team” though. I’m telling you man it’s gonna be ugly 

2 hours ago, bradyb said:

Lol no I meant Silsbee. I consider a team like Center, Lincoln, Argyle to be Solid teams. Silsbee is an Elite aquad that have been claiming championships since they were little. 

True, but let's be accurate.  They are an elite squad without a center or even a power forward.  It's whole bunch of guards and one small forward.

And that's what makes this upcoming semifinal game an interesting matchup.

That 6'10" guy is 185 lbs.  They have a 6'2" guy who supposedly has good handles.  Slowing him down in crucial IMO.  If he is allowed to casually come down court & feed that big guy down low, they will score a lot of points that way.  Maybe the refs put some folks in foul trouble.  It could get ugly.  Somerset also has a big, strong four who can shoot from outside.  

JImThorpe is right.  Silsbee is weak in the middle.  K Barnes can really get up, but you can only count on that so much.   If #23, Mitch, had any kind of post up game, Yates could of slowed it down and made it very interesting.  They didn't and that's history.  The big guy for Somerset has post up moves and a jumper from outside.  

I'll let coach Sigler worry about all that.  I am sure he is working on something.

5 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

True, but let's be accurate.  They are an elite squad without a center or even a power forward.  It's whole bunch of guards and one small forward.

And that's what makes this upcoming semifinal game an interesting matchup.

Silsbee beat a supposedly elite Jack Yates squad deeper than anyone in 4a.

I wouldn't think #1 4a team in state would be just a solid team.