RIP Blain Padgett

PhatMack19

We use words to communicate all the time, but when something like this happens, I can't find the appropriate words.  I've prayed for Blain and his family, but it's frustrating that I can't find words to help them.  My heart is heavy.  As jimmyw said, may the Holy Spirit comfort the family.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, bjimbo said:

Those who were concerned about this could of read that on their own.  No further need to broadcast anything about this man.

Disagree.  By and large we are all simply a product of our choices whether they be good or bad.  I don't think simply sharing a link that sheds light on what transpired takes away from the young man..We all make mistakes. Many of us are fortunate to not pay the ultimate price while many others are not. If anything it should serve as a cautionary tale as well as a great opportunity for others to educate themselves and loved ones on the dangers of opioids.  

I'll disagree back. Point blank it's SIMPLY unnecessary to have to "share" that information when it's already easily accessed.  Your post itself shows your assumption that the deceased knowingly made a mistake or did something wrong and paid for it with his life.  However we have no idea what took place...was this agent willingly ingested?...how did he come in contact with it?...are those close to him aware of a substance problem?  Yes there are lots and lots of questions.  Never the less the speculation is going to be huge and it doesn't effect us nearly as much as it does his family.  If you think Shapiro is educating people on opioids than your a bigger slap than he is.  That's not a form of journalism or awareness. It's a bs excuse to extend content and pretend to be proactive.  It's also apart of millennial  entitlement era.  Yall make me sick!       

On 6/20/2018 at 6:55 PM, bjimbo said:

I'll disagree back. Point blank it's SIMPLY unnecessary to have to "share" that information when it's already easily accessed.  Your post itself shows your assumption that the deceased knowingly made a mistake or did something wrong and paid for it with his life.  However we have no idea what took place...was this agent willingly ingested?...how did he come in contact with it?...are those close to him aware of a substance problem?  Yes there are lots and lots of questions.  Never the less the speculation is going to be huge and it doesn't effect us nearly as much as it does his family.  If you think Shapiro is educating people on opioids than your a bigger slap than he is.  That's not a form of journalism or awareness. It's a bs excuse to extend content and pretend to be proactive.  It's also apart of millennial  entitlement era.  Yall make me sick!       

I understand that you are upset and believes the article puts some sort of necessary stain on Blain.  But let me ask you this, did you believe that the toxicology and autopsy results of the sudden and unexplained death of a star college football player who played in, of all places, the fourth largest city in the United States would go unreported by the media altogether?

If so, let me shatter your illusion:

This is the hidden content, please

Look, I myself have railed on the limits of newsworthiness of any act beyond the football field, good or bad.  And I will confess that many times the target of such railings have been the staff at the Enterprise.  But I think your ire at the Enterprise in this case is a bit misplaced.  First, the idea that if Matt Faye wouldn't have published his article, that the autopsy reports would have been Harris County and the Padgett family's little secret is a foolhardy one.  Second, the explanation of why an otherwise healthy 21 yr old football player died suddenly is indeed a newsworthy story.

The coroner's report, the Enterprise report or the Houston TV station's report do not change the fact that Blain Padgett was a good young man who came from a good family.  Instead of getting upset with the media for reporting it, you should hope, as I do, that authorities and the Padgett family (as they have pledged to do) find how Blain came across this substance so that justice can be done and his death will not have been in vain. 

WOS it's not about the media publishing the story, it never was...it was about Shapiro feeling the personal need to extend the content further, when in my opinion, and only my opinion it was not his place-duty-responsability to do so.  Some situations can simply just be left alone and we can stop feeling that it is our right to engage in it.  I'm finished, and again I just think we all should be, thoughts and prayers go out to those truly effected by this news.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, bjimbo said:

WOS it's not about the media publishing the story, it never was...it was about Shapiro feeling the personal need to extend the content further, when in my opinion, and only my opinion it was not his place-duty-responsability to do so.  Some situations can simply just be left alone and we can stop feeling that it is our right to engage in it.  I'm finished, and again I just think we all should be, thoughts and prayers go out to those truly effected by this news.

Then, jim.  After this post, I really don't understand your ire.  Is it that Danny posted the link to the story here?  If that is what upset you, it begs the question, do you really believe that no one on this board would have run across the story had he not done that?  The Beaumont Enterprise is the only daily newspaper in Southeast Texas with a circulation area that nearly rivals the reach of this site.  Heck, I look at the sports section on a daily basis myself.  Given Blain's athletic achievements and his sudden unexplained passing, I think it likely that if Danny had not posted the link here, someone else on this message board would have.

Did Danny do it to get a few more internet hits on a article written by the paper that employs him?  Yeah, I am sure that he did.  In fact, chances are good that he would cop to that as I have never known a media guy that is not above that.  And I'll even go so far as agreeing that sometimes that might not be the appropriate thing to do.  Was it necessary in this case?  I guess we disagree here but I do find your point of view reasonable.

However, where completely I disagree with you is the implication that Danny posted this link here to put a dagger in the memory of Blain.  No report that the Enterprise, KTRK Channel 13 in Houston, or any other media entity publishes can do that.  

I do join you for continued prayers for Mical and the Padgett family.  He may not remember me from our days at Lamar, but I certainly remember him.  And when he pledges to get to the bottom of how Blain got this substance, I know that he will use every resource to fulfill that pledge.

46 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Then, jim.  After this post, I really don't understand your ire.  Is it that Danny posted the link to the story here?  If that is what upset you, it begs the question, do you really believe that no one on this board would have run across the story had he not done that?  The Beaumont Enterprise is the only daily newspaper in Southeast Texas with a circulation area that nearly rivals the reach of this site.  Heck, I look at the sports section on a daily basis myself.  Given Blaine's athletic achievements and his sudden unexplained passing, I think it likely that if Danny had not posted the link here, someone else on this message board would have.

Did Danny do it to get a few more internet hits on a article written by the paper that employs him?  Yeah, I am sure that he did.  In fact, chances are good that he would cop to that as I have never known a media guy that is not above that.  And I'll even go so far as agreeing that sometimes that might not be the appropriate thing to do.  Was it necessary in this case?  I guess we disagree here but I do find your point of view reasonable.

However, where completely I disagree with you is the implication that Danny posted this link here to put a dagger in the memory of Blaine.  No report that the Enterprise, KTRK Channel 13 in Houston, or any other media entity publishes can do that.  

I do join you for continued prayers for Mical and the Padgett family.  He may not remember me from our days at Lamar, but I certainly remember him.  And when he pledges to get to the bottom of how Blaine got this substance, I know that he will use every resource to fulfill that pledge.

Far too many of us are afraid to talk about the real issues, especially as parents. This story is not about trashing a young mans death. Its about identifying and understanding the "who, what, when, where, and why" of his death. 

Young people need to see the results of their actions. Far too many of them are either truly ignorant of the repercussions of their actions or believe they know how to avoid the downfalls  . Especially high level athletes who are always looking for a competitive edge.

High school sports are very competitive. D1 sports are on another level. They will be asked to do things and will see other players doing things to get that "edge". It's scary what happens on our college campuses. 

Bottom line- talk with your kids. Be involved and be alert. Do not rely on the village to raise your child.

I appreciated the link provided. In fact, I thought Shapiro was particularly tactful by not even addressing the content in his post.... just a link. 

I don’t follow local news closely, so it’s doubtful that I would have ever known what happened had it not been for Shapiro’s posting. 

It seems like some people don’t like the message and feel like attacking the messenger. 

Honestly, if you haven’t talked with your young athlete about EXACTLY what happened to Blain, your missing a good opportunity.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, CardinalBacker said:

I appreciated the link provided. In fact, I thought Shapiro was particularly tactful by not even addressing the content in his post.... just a link. 

I don’t follow local news closely, so it’s doubtful that I would have ever known what happened had it not been for Shapiro’s posting. 

It seems like some people don’t like the message and feel like attacking the messenger. 

Honestly, if you haven’t talked with your young athlete about EXACTLY what happened to Blain, your missing a good opportunity.

Purposefully only put the link just for that reason.