YATES VS SILSBEE

I was at both games and both teams will run, but if Silsbee shoots like they shot in this last game then I think they will lose. Silsbee had to play the harder game to get to the finals, period. Yates full court press is good but do give up the easy shots if your break it, if. Silsbee did not double team press in the backcourt. Could be the team they played had good ball handlers. If both teams shoot well and play at full strength it will be a great game.

Who was Yates toughest opponent this year? Houston Christian? I think Silsbee has the advantage when it comes to being battle tested. Of course it means nothing if they have a bad game tomorrow. I expect a solid 8-9 man rotation with Adams, McCain or Bush not ever being on the bench all at once.

I think Barnes can come up big tomorrow. If Yates wants to run with the fastest kid in the state, let them go ahead and try.

47 minutes ago, tennisbc said:

I was at both games and both teams will run, but if Silsbee shoots like they shot in this last game then I think they will lose. Silsbee had to play the harder game to get to the finals, period. Yates full court press is good but do give up the easy shots if your break it, if. Silsbee did not double team press in the backcourt. Could be the team they played had good ball handlers. If both teams shoot well and play at full strength it will be a great game.

I agree that silsbee needs to shoot it well tomorrow.  Or at least not shoot it poorly I should say.  Having said that, what you point out in the presses is correct.  Yates sells out to try and force turnovers and score off the turnovers.  Silsbee primarily runs a full court man, but will jump into a trap if available and will jump passing lanes.  Ultimately, there’s is more of a slow you down press which also has the effect of fatiguing its opponents and will obviously cause turnovers.  If you’re going to press at this stage in the season (with elite teams left), I generally prefer the latter.  Eventually you usually run into some guards who simply know how and are able to handle the press and who end up “punishing the press” in the front court.   The key is to do just that - punish it.

Here’s to hoping that team this year is the Silsbee Tigers.  

Watching Yates earlier this week I was impressed with their depth. They had 3 players who were standout type players but they went 10 deep without seeing any drop off. Silsbee will have to stay out of foul trouble and keep their Big 3 on the floor if they want to defend their title. This one will be fun to watch !!

Attack attack attack the rim as much as possible and get Yates into foul trouble take smart 3 pointers and don’t just jack up a shot just because hit as many free throws as possible and protect the ball every possession is precious oh and of course hope we get a well officiated game tigers in a close one because of their experience I think they will let it all hang out today  89-85.

8 hours ago, tennisbc said:

I agree.

8 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Who was Yates toughest opponent this year? Houston Christian? I think Silsbee has the advantage when it comes to being battle tested. Of course it means nothing if they have a bad game tomorrow. I expect a solid 8-9 man rotation with Adams, McCain or Bush not ever being on the bench all at once.

I think Barnes can come up big tomorrow. If Yates wants to run with the fastest kid in the state, let them go ahead and try.

You can throw out the regular season. None of that matters 

6 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Barnes reminds me of a guy I played against that went to central back in the gap. His name was Lee McElroy I believe, all the speed in the world but couldn't take a lick that's  why he didn't last long in the league with the cards. So Barnes should stick with basketball and track.pays more money and less contact 

Yates does not go for the offensive rebound, at least they did not in their game last night. Hit or miss on offense they quickly set up the press. With all their height they could get easy put backs against the team they played but no. Press, press, press, no crashing the boards. Silsbee does go for the rebounds. With that in mind I agree that Silsbee is battle tested more to me with their schedule. Go Tigers.  Be safe on the roads,

8 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I agree that silsbee needs to shoot it well tomorrow.  Or at least not shoot it poorly I should say.  Having said that, what you point out in the presses is correct.  Yates sells out to try and force turnovers and score off the turnovers.  Silsbee primarily runs a full court man, but will jump into a trap if available and will jump passing lanes.  Ultimately, there’s is more of a slow you down press which also has the effect of fatiguing its opponents and will obviously cause turnovers.  If you’re going to press at this stage in the season (with elite teams left), I generally prefer the latter.  Eventually you usually run into some guards who simply know how and are able to handle the press and who end up “punishing the press” in the front court.   The key is to do just that - punish it.

Here’s to hoping that team this year is the Silsbee Tigers.  

Yates will press in an attempt to fatigue their opponent. Yates press attempts to achieve 3 things turn overs, fast pace and fatigue.  LIberty Hill fell in that trap and by the 4th qtr they were done. From what I observed last night Silsbee can’t press for 32 minutes because they don’t have a deep bench and it would fatigue their starters. My experience is if you run a team for 32 minutes and make them play on both ends of the court the first thing that goes is their legs and the long range shot. 

26 minutes ago, tennisbc said:

Yates does not go for the offensive rebound, at least they did not in their game last night. Hit or miss on offense they quickly set up the press. With all their height they could get easy put backs against the team they played but no. Press, press, press, no crashing the boards. Silsbee does go for the rebounds. With that in mind I agree that Silsbee is battle tested more to me with their schedule. Go Tigers.  Be safe on the roads,

You are correct Yates could improve on the boards, but they were able to score 94 pts last night while probably being out rebounded. 

Silsbee is out manned inside.  It will be difficult to stop Yates big men.  Basketball requires tall people usually.  For Silsbee to win their decision making will have to be almost perfect.  No bad shots.  The Silsbee defense has been very weak in the middle.  There's usually a path to the basket.  f they can't shore that up it will be a long game for the Tigers.

There's one thing.  The Tigers will probably be behind going into the 4th quarter.  Then they will turn up the intensity to a level that the Lions haven't seen all year.  I think the Lions will wilt under the pressure.  It will come down to free throws and luck, the bounce of the ball and key calls by the refs.