Silsbee 120 Houston Yates 103/FINAL/TIGERS HEAD BACK TO SAN ANTONIO!!!

6 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

It was me who was on the Jack Yates page saying Yates by 30. If you actually knew I was joking and have 2 fraternity brother who went to Yates and we always go back and forth. Never a doubt in my mind Silsbee would win and they even knew it. Sometimes people like to search for dumb $**** to bring up. 

Nice.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

I actually got the feeling that some local folks were looking forward to Yates beating Silsbee and being able to come on here and spout off. 

Some certain posters have gone awol here in last couple of days.

Also, I am keeping a close eye on some certain media folk.

I still have not heard a peep.......

46 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Bayou City 713 was blowing all that hot air, being critical of Silsbee.  He was starting to get philosophical with it. Talking all that don't drink the Silsbee kool aide yadda yadda.   Then Silsbee gets the better of Yates and he runs off and hides.  

As we’ve discussed, Yates was the overrated team.  No way they beat Carter OR Lincoln the majority of the time  

Lincoln had Carter's number during the regular season.  Maybe it was playoff pressure that made the difference when they met the third time.  Both were better than Yates.  So, where does Yates go now that the big two are gone?  You really can't write them off because those feeder middle schools in third ward produce lots of b ball talent year in and year out.  

I wonder if Carter was just blessed with good shooters or do they have some drill they practice.

7 minutes ago, Mohead2000 said:

I have read a lot you guys comments over the past few years and have chosen not to respond until now. First off I am going to give Silsbee it’s props, they have been an exceptional 4A team the past 3 years, anytime you can make it to state 3 years in a row, win 2, and have several potential D1 players on a team that is very commendable. Right now Silsbee is the best team on the 4A level in Texas, and will probably be next year as well. But some of you guys with your commentary are delusional at best, and maybe need to get out of SETX and see more basketball. For someone to think that this Yates team is overrated is either biased, don’t have a clue or both. As it was mentioned in earlier threads Silsbee beat Yates due to Yates style of play and the fact that Mitch was taken out of the game due to foul trouble and that changed the game, even Sigler and Braelon Bush said it in their post game interview in the Houston Chronicle , so it was not just Wise whining about it like it was mentioned in earlier posts. If Yates run a conventional offense/defense and  strategically presses, they become a much harder team to beat because you have 6’8 monster who is very athletic and too many good shooters. Slow the game down i.e Argyle with better athletes, like Yates has and Silsbee is in trouble. Silsbee does not run any type of offense, they just try to outrun you and right now they have the players to do it. You can get away with that on the 4A level. When they play bigger schools Silsbee and even Yates tend to have problems. Wise has been in a press system since he was a player at Madison playing with Greg Kite in the late 70’s early 80’s and when he started coaching. He was my middle school coach in 1990 and we was pressing then. He went on to Houston Lee, Hightower a team he took to state 2 yrs in a row as well, and ended up at Yates and is still running that press. He is going to win or lose with that press. A team or a program is not overrated that has been to the regional tournament 9 out of the last 10 yrs in two different classifications, state tournament 5 out of those 10 yrs with 4 state championships and 1 state runner-up in the past 10 yrs. Even though Dallas Madison won two of them on the court, them and DISD had to used an elaborate cheating scheme where a young man had to lose his life and people lost careers to beat Yates and was exposed. To be honest had it been handled correctly when it was exposed with Kieth Frazier at Dallas Kimball, Yates would have one that one as well and maybe Troy Causey would be still alive today. And to be honest Yates should not even be playing on the 4A level, it has been estimated that a 1000 kids, and some years closer to 1500 kids that live Yates zone get up every morning and go to a different high school in the city. It has only one true middle school that feeds Yates right now and that is Cullen and that is not in Third Ward, they made Ryan a vanguard middle school for health professions, so the actual kids that live in third ward have to be bussed to Cullen. However when the best players in Third Ward, Yellowstone, South Union, Back Streets go to Yates and play then you have have transcendent teams that can play a national schedule and beat everybody they play like Oak Hill and St. Patrick’s in New Jersey and be the best team in the country like 09-10 team that broke national records and was undefeated, the year before that only lost 1 game and won state as well. When any team in SETX can do what Yates has accomplished in the past 10 yrs, then I will listen to who is overrated/underrated, kool-aid drinking or anything else you guys might have to say. I don’t care about any team before 1968 unless they were in the PVIL because the best players were not allowed to play in the UIL before then.

Ahhhhhh Silsbee back2back! #120-103 Houston have freaking 2.5 million people. Silsbee has 6500 at best! Your right Yates should be 5A at worst. They have lost to a small country town 2 years in a row. Yates beat us in 2012 and 13 when Siksbee should have been a state team but because Yates kids move or drop out they were 3A. 

1 hour ago, Mohead2000 said:

I

I have read a lot you guys comments over the past few years and have chosen not to respond until now. First off I am going to give Silsbee it’s props, they have been an exceptional 4A team the past 3 years, anytime you can make it to state 3 years in a row, win 2, and have several potential D1 players on a team that is very commendable. Right now Silsbee is the best team on the 4A level in Texas, and will probably be next year as well. But some of you guys with your commentary are delusional at best, and maybe need to get out of SETX and see more basketball. For someone to think that this Yates team is overrated is either biased, don’t have a clue or both. As it was mentioned in earlier threads Silsbee beat Yates due to Yates style of play and the fact that Mitch was taken out of the game due to foul trouble and that changed the game, even Sigler and Braelon Bush said it in their post game interview in the Houston Chronicle , so it was not just Wise whining about it like it was mentioned in earlier posts. If Yates run a conventional offense/defense and  strategically presses, they become a much harder team to beat because you have 6’8 monster who is very athletic and too many good shooters. Slow the game down i.e Argyle with better athletes, like Yates has and Silsbee is in trouble. Silsbee does not run any type of offense, they just try to outrun you and right now they have the players to do it. You can get away with that on the 4A level. When they play bigger schools Silsbee and even Yates tend to have problems. Wise has been in a press system since he was a player at Madison playing with Greg Kite in the late 70’s early 80’s and when he started coaching. He was my middle school coach in 1990 and we was pressing then. He went on to Houston Lee, Hightower a team he took to state 2 yrs in a row as well, and ended up at Yates and is still running that press. He is going to win or lose with that press. A team or a program is not overrated that has been to the regional tournament 9 out of the last 10 yrs in two different classifications, state tournament 5 out of those 10 yrs with 4 state championships and 1 state runner-up in the past 10 yrs. Even though Dallas Madison won two of them on the court, them and DISD had to used an elaborate cheating scheme where a young man had to lose his life and people lost careers to beat Yates and was exposed. To be honest had it been handled correctly when it was exposed with Kieth Frazier at Dallas Kimball, Yates would have one that one as well and maybe Troy Causey would be still alive today. And to be honest Yates should not even be playing on the 4A level, it has been estimated that a 1000 kids, and some years closer to 1500 kids that live Yates zone get up every morning and go to a different high school in the city. It has only one true middle school that feeds Yates right now and that is Cullen and that is not in Third Ward, they made Ryan a vanguard middle school for health professions, so the actual kids that live in third ward have to be bussed to Cullen. However when the best players in Third Ward, Yellowstone, South Union, Back Streets go to Yates and play then you have have transcendent teams that can play a national schedule and beat everybody they play like Oak Hill and St. Patrick’s in New Jersey and be the best team in the country like 09-10 team that broke national records and was undefeated, the year before that only lost 1 game and won state as well. When any team in SETX can do what Yates has accomplished in the past 10 yrs, then I will listen to who is overrated/underrated, kool-aid drinking or anything else you guys might have to say. I don’t care about any team before 1968 unless they were in the PVIL because the best players were not allowed to play in the UIL before then.

Most folks are simply responding to one particular poster who used to post here. We know Yates history. All he'd have to do is say "good game" and most would chill out. Honestly, it ain't that serious.

As far a team doing what Yates did around here? That would require Beaumont to do like Allen and have one big public school. That hypothetical team with a good coach would make some serious noise. We'll see what happens with United.

And Silsbee had to put a team together like most of the top teams in the state with Bush coming from Legacy in Beaumont and Adams coming from Vincent in Beaumont. I am pretty sure that they both have family ties to Silsbee. Only McCain out of the top 3 played in Silsbee for Jr. High. However in today’s time size of towns don’t really matter because of technology and exposure.

Not true Adams was in Silsbee in the 8th grade and Bush dad is a 1995 Silsbee allstate guard. They are Bush raised in Silsbee and yes Adams came from Beaumont to Silsbee 5 years ago. Yates gets kids who were a junior at Sterling and a senior at Yates. 

3 hours ago, Mohead2000 said:

And Silsbee had to put a team together like most of the top teams in the state with Bush coming from Legacy in Beaumont and Adams coming from Vincent in Beaumont. I am pretty sure that they both have family ties to Silsbee. Only McCain out of the top 3 played in Silsbee for Jr. High. However in today’s time size of towns don’t really matter because of technology and exposure.

Bush has lived in Silsbee all his life. Just went to Legacy in Junior High.

8 hours ago, Mohead2000 said:

If Yates was not the second best team in Texas, they were technically overrated.  I didn’t mean to slight them in saying they weren’t a top 10 team because they were.  You are correct about Yates’ systemic issues.  I have always said they will struggle against elite guard play and they usually do.  You are a bit misguided in appearing to believe Silsbee and Yates run the same type of system.  The biggest difference is Silsbee runs a full court man and doesn’t sell out on trying to trap and steal.  Yes they will jump into a trap when it presents itself but they mainly just try to keep pressure up and the ball in front of them.  Yates on the other hand lives and dies in the backcourt and will die more often than not when you have guards who can handle their pressure.  The backside of that press is vulnerable and soft and yields easy buckets.  

To say Yates was NOT overrated would imply that they would be favored against the top teams from the Metroplex, who were all ranked lower.  To me, THAT is either biased, clueless, or delusional.  No offense to a Lion team who had without question a very fine season.  But you weren’t beating those teams if you had made it to San Antionio imo.  That’s all I meant.  Yates has very impressive young talent and will be in the hunt most years. 

I think Bayou city 713 changed his name to Mohead2000.  Bayou is that you?  If that is that's kinda flakey man.  Lol.

I got much respect for the PVIL teams, like Yates, that are still around.  I am old enough to remember so aspects of that era.

I am glad Silsbee hasn't let the legendary programs crush their spirit.  They jumped up and won two in a row and that will stand in history for a minute.  I know, it pales in comparison to those PA Lincoln years, and Yates in 2009 - 2010.  Or Wheatley from '68 to about '73 or '74.   I tell you what, more than a few folks in 3rd ward, and W Dallas got on google maps to find out where exactly Silsbee is located.   There was a time not long ago when people in the big Cities didn't know Silsbee existed.  They called the town Simonton, or Sealey,  And that still exists, but that's alright.  As long as the UIL spelled Silsbee right on the plaques and trophies.

I don't think just any team can run the Argyle offense, but Argyle.  If a team is used to running and then all of a sudden tries to  run that slow down style it doesn't work.  Argyle runs their offense year in and year out.  They go out and test it against all those good to great 4A teams in North and West Texas.  I don't think Yates or anyone else can adjust to playing like that, not effectively anyway.

2 hours ago, Mohead2000 said:

I said Silsbee does not run a traditional offensive set and they will outrun you and they have the kids to do it on the 4A level. Said nothing about their defense. I know exactly what type of defense they run and it is not same as Yates. I have watched Silsbee play numerous times over the years even before this group came in. I said if Yates ran a conventional offense/defense based on their talent they had these past two years and slow the game down then Silsbee would problems because they do not have answer for Mitch down low in the paint. Argyle gave Silsbee fits, and they did not have the talent Yates has. That is more of knock on Wise not changing his scheme to fit his talent year in and year out, not Silsbee. He does not have Joseph Young, Snap Peters, Darius Gardiner, or later on withMelvin Swift (RIP) and JC Washington anymore to run that full court relentless press anymore. But it is hard to argue with the success Yates has had in the past 10 years running that system.

Well it’s obvious when it comes to the specifics, we share a lot of the same opinions.  Particularly with schemes and even more specifically, the utilization of Serialle or the lack thereof.  

Man I love 3rd ward, South Acres, sunny side. I've mostly lived in the North, but I like the culture over there. I go to church right there are Scott & Airport, at the WHO 7th day adventist church.  It is hard to practice being an SDA and follow Silsbee basketball, very hard.  Frenchy's, This Is It. I need to visit that jamaican place on Almeda.   My sister had a barber shop over on Holman Street for a long time.  My heart is still in Silsbee, but 3rd ward & the Southside, we cool.

15 hours ago, Mohead2000 said:

MAn you do not know what you are talking about then. They are all from Silsbee and have played together their whole life. Go check the little dribbler national championship pictures...

3 hours ago, bradyb said:

MAn you do not know what you are talking about then. They are all from Silsbee and have played together their whole life. Go check the little dribbler national championship pictures...

They've been playing together since bush, McCain, and Tyler where 6 year's old. Bush has always lived in silsbee although he did attend legacy for his jr high year's. Like Brady said check silsbee LIttle Dribblers pictures I can assure you you'll see him in quite a few

Chapel Hill: The wound that almost never healed. These past two years have made up for it now.

Silsbee had some good dog fights with Livingston and Cleveland back in the day as well. They've really fallen off over the years.

Serious question: Would Yates have beaten Dallas Carter? I know they would have beaten Somerset by 80 points, but I don't know about Carter. Carter was really good.

21 hours ago, Mohead2000 said:

Reading is FUNDAMENTAL, I said they put that team together, because the top 3 players did not play together in jr. high, no reference to where they lived only mentioned where the school was. I said they had family ties to Silsbee, because I knew Bush dad played for Silsbee. Some of you guys on here have even verified this. I do not care about what kids do on the little league, little dribblers level that is for fun and fun only. By the time kids get to high school, majority do not even play the same sport anymore or may not play sports at all. I know the tradition Silsbee has with its sports programs. I remembered in 97 when Silsbee was #1 in the state and lost to Tyler Chapell Hill after getting the first round bye in the play-offs and the dog fights you guys with PA Lincoln and several other schools over the years. I got some good friends and former co-workers from Silsbee, Kountze, Sour Lake down to PA. I played football in college with people from WOS. I am well versed in SETX sports.

They did not build the team. Bush went to Silsbee his whole life until Middle School. I was the Legacy middle school coach when he moved there for school. He was born and raised in Silsbee. He went back to Silsbee after middle school. Jordyn Adams went to Silsbee middle school. So the only kid that did not play for Silsbee in middle school is BUSH, which moved school in middle school but came back HOME in high school. SO again, you do not know what you are talking about on this situation. 

Ok I stand corrected about Adams. I got 1 out of the 3 wrong. I am only talking about the top 3 Bush, McCain and Adams and where they played middle school ball at, before that it does not matter, people move all of the time. Without them 3 Silsbee is not going to state.

So because Bush chose to go to middle school at Legacy( and the decision was not basketball related) making it the only two years he did not go to a Silsbee school, that makes him an outsider? 

You are reaching on this "building" thing. 

Those kids are Tigers.