Silsbee 120 Houston Yates 103/FINAL/TIGERS HEAD BACK TO SAN ANTONIO!!!

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Way to go Tigers!!!  Great season Yates.  

To be the man, you gotta be the man.  And as I predicted, you ain’t beating the man with that kind of press.  What you might do is give up a 120 piece...

Yep you said that, early in the season.

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I thought all that depth was supposed to let Yates outrun the tigers.  Looks like it was silsbee who ran them down at the end.

Bush paid for it in the end.  Dropped 38 but body finally gave in with about 2 to go. 

Devon, despite some obvious sluggishness, balled out.  Kept coming at them and making huge shots.

Kalon.  My dog. Banging in there low, all over the rim and making free throws.  I believe he might have well been the difference, even with Bush and McCain doing there thing.

They answered Yates at every turn, free throw, lane drive and three pointer.

Amazing game and unbelievable heart.  Most teams would have caved in under that pressure.

The D1 teams will be lining up soon. Bush might be the next Mugsy Bogues.

So proud of Silsbee today.  Wanted to be there but didn’t want to miss Memorial either.  Going to see the Celtics end this Rockets street tonight so Delmar was a lot closer than Huntsville. 

I will say this about this group of Tigers.  They are talented but they also have a tremendous amount of heart.  Let’s be honest, most people other than us SETX folks thought Yates would be too much.  Deeper bench, more size, endless stream of blowouts.  But this tiger bunch is not one you want to make feel disrespected.   In a classic battle, they wouldn’t be denied.  They have two more dogfights left and I have no doubt they will be ready.  Here’s hoping they find the will twice more and add a little back-to-back flavor to Tigertown. 

5 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

I will say this though , I would’ve loved to see #23 not get in serious foul trouble to see how much more competitive would’ve been. He’s for sure a bad man.

Mitch is heckuva player.  SFA got a steal in signing him.  But I’ve seen him multiple times over the past couple of years for the Lions and never felt like they ever found a way to get him as involved as he should be.  I never thought he would be the difference maker today. 

32 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

So proud of Silsbee today.  Wanted to be there but didn’t want to miss Memorial either.  Going to see the Celtics end this Rockets street tonight so Delmar was a lot closer than Huntsville. 

I will say this about this group of Tigers.  They are talented but they also have a tremendous amount of heart.  Let’s be honest, most people other than us SETX folks thought Yates would be too much.  Deeper bench, more size, endless stream of blowouts.  But this tiger bunch is not one you want to make feel disrespected.   In a classic battle, they wouldn’t be denied.  They have two more dogfights left and I have no doubt they will be ready.  Here’s hoping they find the will twice more and add a little back-to-back flavor to Tigertown. 

You just hit the nail on the head.  I was going to post about The Heart of a Champion but have been driving.   That’s where this game was won.  All of these Tigers have plenty of it. But this time it’s time to talk about the sophomore. Bush showed more heart than you could imagine.  I told several including his Dad that he gave all he had as well as all I had and my wife and daughter as well.  He scored 40 in this one and 64 in the 2 games.  Barnes 15  pts and 10 rebounds a big presence inside.  And Devon playing floor general today getting to the basket at ease 33 pts 8 boards and 8 assists.  He was big, every time we needed a basket there he was at the rim. Jordyn with 18 5 rebs and 5 assts.  along with Landyns 8 pts and 6 boards and Martins 6 pts.   These guys played hard and hungry.  Like has been said Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion!

Great ballgame by both clubs , the difference in this one IMO was the big guy being taken out of the game so early. He was their best player and he left the game with 5:00 left in the first then played 20 seconds in the third before picking up his 4th. Silsbee did a great job and deserved the win, I sure would have loved to see the big man on the floor though. Fun game to watch.

48 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

I will say this though , I would’ve loved to see #23 not get in serious foul trouble to see how much more competitive would’ve been. He’s for sure a bad man.

As I've mentioned I watched Yates play Houston Christian at a tournament back in December.  HC won by 9 or 10 pts.  Three things I noticed during that game.  Mitch, # 23?, kept going for the sensational play, the sensational dunk.  He is 6'7" and very athletic, but in the course of a good game a player like that has to stay in flow of the game and if a good dunk or block comes his way then make it happen.  I also noticed he did not have a go to move that could be relied on to score points, other than the dunk.  Mind you, I'm no expert.

I also noticed that Yates pressed and had a deep bench. Sahvir Wheeler and Miller Koop exploited that defense for quite a few back door points.  Coach Wise was substittuting at will.  He had like 17 players on the team.  The refs were letting them play and i posted here, it's in the archives, that HC pg Sahvir Wheeler was getting mugged.   I made a mental note to myself that the refs in the playoffs would probably call a tighter game, and in this game played today, the refs did call it closer.  It made a big difference.

They called the other game between Cy Falls and SA Wagner the same way.  I thought for a moment or two a fight was going to break out in that particular game.

Just the same, I tip my hat to all the Yates team, and to Coach Wise.  Respect.