TXHoops/Shaka

Tigers2010

10 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

I have trusted you Hoops, but I just don't see what Shaka is doing that is impressive. He has a lottery pick and a couple years to get it together. Speak to me. Educate me on what the hell is the problem with UT Basketball. (Aggie stay out of this)

Shaka is a good coach.  He is a good modern era coach who obviously was a star in the coaching profession before he got here, and far exceeded anyone’s dreams at VCU.  He got to UT and had players who didn’t fit his “style.”   He has recruited well so that’s not an excuse.  What he hasn’t done is (as Crush correctly put it), landed shooters that have consistently knocked down the long ball.  This year has been rough losing a McD AA to leukemia who was without a doubt our best scorer and one of the top 3 defenders.  He landed an elite HS PG in Coleman who has been spectacular at times and very much a freshman at others.  I was actually really proud of our guys and the way they played Monday at Phog Allen with Bamba out injured and Davis (our best shooter remaining) out with a toe injury.   That was a competitive game with a very short roster.  

Shaka has another year no doubt.  If the team is significantly better next year, he will get bought out and the school will move on.  There is a huge arena in the works and they expect a better product.  He will have to do better next year without Mo who will be gone to the lottery, and depending on some freshmen again.  

And that could be it.  At VCU, you recruit 4 year players and many don’t see significant minutes for a year or two.  At a school like Texas, you are in the hunt for one and done players and have to take them.  Trust me that is an adjustment coaching wise that he didn’t experience before he got here.  

I really like the guy and am rooting on him next year.  What I predict is he will either end up being successful here, or he will be successful at his next stop.  True coaches can coach and he will get it figured it out somewhere.  Here’s hoping it’s in Austin and his luck runs better next year. 

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Shaka is a good coach.  He is a good modern era coach who obviously was a star in the coaching profession before he got here, and far exceeded anyone’s dreams at VCU.  He got to UT and had players who didn’t fit his “style.”   He has recruited well so that’s not an excuse.  What he hasn’t done is (as Crush correctly put it), landed shooters that have consistently knocked down the long ball.  This year has been rough losing a McD AA to leukemia who was without a doubt our best scorer and one of the top 3 defenders.  He landed an elite HS PG in Coleman who has been spectacular at times and very much a freshman at others.  I was actually really proud of our guys and the way they played Monday at Phog Allen with Bamba out injured and Davis (our best shooter remaining) out with a toe injury.   That was a competitive game with a very short roster.  

Shaka has another year no doubt.  If the team is significantly better next year, he will get bought out and the school will move on.  There is a huge arena in the works and they expect a better product.  He will have to do better next year without Mo who will be gone to the lottery, and depending on some freshmen again.  

And that could be it.  At VCU, you recruit 4 year players and many don’t see significant minutes for a year or two.  At a school like Texas, you are in the hunt for one and done players and have to take them.  Trust me that is an adjustment coaching wise that he didn’t experience before he got here.  

I really like the guy and am rooting on him next year.  What I predict is he will either end up being successful here, or he will be successful at his next stop.  True coaches can coach and he will get it figured it out somewhere.  Here’s hoping it’s in Austin and his luck runs better next year. 

This is spot on. I want him to succeed at UT, but he needs results.

58 minutes ago, CRUSHCOACH said:

I also like Shaka and want him to stay. Tired of the losing though myself. But I am a whole lot more patient than some of the Boosters are going to be unfortunately.

Same here on the patience because I know what he’s eventually going to bring. We have a chance to move to a blue blood basketball program with a coach of his ilk.  But I really think unless there is a huge surprise this year and next year isn’t any better, they’re moving on.  

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Same here on the patience because I know what he’s eventually going to bring. We have a chance to move to a blue blood basketball program with a coach of his ilk.  But I really think unless there is a huge surprise this year and next year isn’t any better, they’re moving on.  

A new AD will make it even harder to hang on if the results do not change.

3 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Kind of why I think if they miss the Dance, Shaka may be gone.

He’s definitely got one more year if he doesn’t win another game this year.  At least that’s what I’m told has already been communicated.  This year was a big ole cluster you know what from the start and they aren’t going to let it decide his legacy at Texas.  But next year has to improve.  

Kids are still playing their hearts out so let’s see what happens with WVU Saturday and the conference tournament. I will say that the way they’ve fought through adversity tells me as much as the win loss record.  

16 hours ago, TxHoops said:

He’s definitely got one more year if he doesn’t win another game this year.  At least that’s what I’m told has already been communicated.  This year was a big ole cluster you know what from the start and they aren’t going to let it decide his legacy at Texas.  But next year has to improve.  

Kids are still playing their hearts out so let’s see what happens with WVU Saturday and the conference tournament. I will say that the way they’ve fought through adversity tells me as much as the win loss record.  

Not a fan of moral victories, but they played their butts off in Kansas. 

On 3/1/2018 at 10:52 PM, TxHoops said:

Spot on with this one. 

My only thing is, and plz educate me on my reasoning. Why does it seem like we have no offense and when I say that I mean we run no sets or plays from the looks of it . It just seems like whoever has the ball dribbles the air out of it you know, I feel even if a coach doesn’t have his “guys” he can still work with what he has as far as putting them in place to be successful . I just don’t understand that 

47 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Shaka might have saved his job today. Huge win.

His job was safe this year if they lost out.  They are playing a 7 man rotation, 2 of which would be playing spot minutes if they had all the players they started the season with.  

But it was a huge win and I will say it again, this team is all heart.  And Shaka deserves some credit for that as well. 

3 hours ago, D3zii said:

Spot on with this one. 

My only thing is, and plz educate me on my reasoning. Why does it seem like we have no offense and when I say that I mean we run no sets or plays from the looks of it . It just seems like whoever has the ball dribbles the air out of it you know, I feel even if a coach doesn’t have his “guys” he can still work with what he has as far as putting them in place to be successful . I just don’t understand that 

I get what you are saying about the offense for sure.  Coleman is a ball-centric PG and the plan is to create shots by him being able to break a defense down.  Sometimes works better than others with a freshman.  We don’t shoot it well enough to effectively run motion.  This group would probably be best running back screens like the old Pete Carril Princeton teams.  But you aren’t going to ever get top talent running that. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I get what you are saying about the offense for sure.  Coleman is a ball-centric PG and the plan is to create shots by him being able to break a defense down.  Sometimes works better than others with a freshman.  We don’t shoot it well enough to effectively run motion.  This group would probably be best running back screens like the old Pete Carril Princeton teams.  But you aren’t going to ever get top talent running that. 

True, we shot pretty good today, I feel we play up in the big games but down against inferior opponents