Bush-Tompkins final seconds

TxHoops

On close plays like this your eyes can let you see what you want to see sometimes.  My first view, looked like an obvious shooting foul.  In that point of the game the ref knows the time and the shooter will be trying to get a shot off.  The shot starts when the player begins the motion which habitually precedes the release of the ball.

Looking at it later with the view of thinking he pumped faked and lost control, then I see it differently and it was a common spot foul.  But I only see this view when looking it from a biased perspective.  Close call that if I'm coaching, I'm arguing my side pretty strongly. 

It looks like the ref went for the pump fake and started signally 3 point attempt too early.  That shouldn't of swayed him, but experience tells me it does sometimes.

23 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Wow this is one bitter pill to swallow.  Tie game, Bush with foul to give.  Tompkins in bounds and Bush player runs into Tompkins’ Eden Holt as time expires.  Holt falls and drops ball.  Refs give Tompkins three shots to win it.  Very close but looks as if contact even came after buzzer  

I hate referees (except for one who posts here who is actually pretty darn good)   

This is the hidden content, please

This is the hidden content, please

Sorry guys! Foul is after 0.0 is on clock and listen again.  There is NO horn!!

1 hour ago, BH85 said:

if you freeze the second angle at .1 the foul has occurred before the end of the game.

It’s all about the whistle in HS. Clock is definitely on 0.0 when the officials hand goes into the air, and a horn never sounds. It’s a very tough call, that the official has to live with. And I promise you he has watched this video, probably over and over, thinking what he should or should not have done. There are several different scenarios that could have played out from this call.

1. What occurred, 3 shots with like .1 on the clock.

2. Decide the whistle was after the clock hit 0.0, no foul go to OT. which in the officials defense he doesn’t have instant replay. 

3. Spot foul, inbound the ball with like .1 on the clock. Or shoot bonus.

4. He swallows his whistle, and doesn’t call anything. 

16 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

It’s all about the whistle in HS. Clock is definitely on 0.0 when the officials hand goes into the air, and a horn never sounds. It’s a very tough call, that the official has to live with. And I promise you he has watched this video, probably over and over, thinking what he should or should not have done. There are several different scenarios that could have played out from this call.

1. What occurred, 3 shots with like .1 on the clock.

2. Decide the whistle was after the clock hit 0.0, no foul go to OT. which in the officials defense he doesn’t have instant replay. 

3. Spot foul, inbound the ball with like .1 on the clock. Or shoot bonus.

4. He swallows his whistle, and doesn’t call anything. 

Please take note of first paragraph fellas.  

The whistle definitely was blown after the clock hit 0.00. But how would the referee know that if you can’t use replay to change the call and the horn didn’t sound? It was definitely a foul but doesn’t matter if he was shooting or not because it was after clock expired.  I bet that kid that fouled is beating himself up over that one. He probably will never foul another three point attempt ever again. Lol

49 minutes ago, Bdub3 said:

The whistle definitely was blown after the clock hit 0.00. But how would the referee know that if you can’t use replay to change the call and the horn didn’t sound? It was definitely a foul but doesn’t matter if he was shooting or not because it was after clock expired.  I bet that kid that fouled is beating himself up over that one. He probably will never foul another three point attempt ever again. Lol

The only thing I don’t know is what Courtney told his kids coming out of timeout.  For instance, LCM’s Jeffcoat has a foul to give against Diboll and had his kids use it expertly to leave Diboll only .1 seconds to try to get up a shot down 1 pt.  I’m sure if Courtney told them that option he said make sure he’s not shooting. But if a kid gets contacted and then makes an upward motion, it’s not expected they will get a shooting call violation.  That could literally happen on every foul (and some kids try it wisely and RARELY get that call).   We don’t have continuation fouls obv in HS.  

That’s what makes the call the most egregious to me.  Deciding a game on a call you have to struggle to even make in that situation.  Folks have justified it on this thread and I get it.  But it’s bush league and horse$&$$ and no ref worth his salt EVER makes that call. 

14 hours ago, ST413 said:

So wait if a foul occurs in the last second of a game and the clock runs out before the ref can blow his whistle then there is no foul???

Here’s the problem with this play, the horn never sounds. And watch, none of the officials have a clue. This is will likely be a training video somewhere. I want to consult a veteran officials, and then I’ll answer your question. 

52 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Here’s the problem with this play, the horn never sounds. And watch, none of the officials have a clue. This is will likely be a training video somewhere. I want to consult a veteran officials, and then I’ll answer your question. 

Ok thanks.

This is a real tough call to make!!

But from an unbiased point of view, it is the right call. Kid was in shooting motion and plenty of contact. Hate to see a game end like that , but great strategy from an offensive standpoint! If you disagree with the call, you were most likely a Bush fan.

If you don't look at the time and consider just the play itself and call that was made, I think it is really kind of easy... one second into the game are .2 left in the game it's a gutsy call. Guy actually needs a pay raise. Foul first of all and shooting foul second of all. Sorry there is not much time left..Cheating is usually used by the Lil dribbler guy in the stands who doesn't have a clue!  Sorry!

7 hours ago, REBgp said:

Since I'm not familiar with the finer points of basketball, I have to go with Hoops opinion.  I do have one question though.  Had this foul been called on Hardin Jefferson, what would've been stevenash's reaction?

There’s not a ref in the league that would be bold enough to call that against stevenash. 

28 minutes ago, no-look said:

There’s not a ref in the league that would be bold enough to call that against stevenash. 

I'm not rich no-look.  Not even comfortable financially, but I'd still pay a pretty penny to see it :) 

BTW, we should have the EMS standing by because someone will need it.  Poor stevenash.