Houston Yates 114 Hardin-Jefferson 56/FINAL

WOSgrad

Yates too much for HJ tonight.  The Hawks left it all on the court though.  Give tons of props to Jalen tonight.  Not mentioned on this thread is that Persohn played only 3-4 minutes and suffered a ankle in the 1st and never returned.  Also both twins left in 1st half with ankle injuries.  One returned and the other tried in 2nd half and couldn’t make it.  Thanks for the great season from those seniors in Sneed, Upchurch, Murray and Morreale!!

Yates is the most talented group of kids I’ve seen in a long time.  23 is the real deal!!

10 hours ago, Lazeek said:

Yates too much for HJ tonight.  The Hawks left it all on the court though.  Give tons of props to Jalen tonight.  Not mentioned on this thread is that Persohn played only 3-4 minutes and suffered a ankle in the 1st and never returned.  Also both twins left in 1st half with ankle injuries.  One returned and the other tried in 2nd half and couldn’t make it.  Thanks for the great season from those seniors in Sneed, Upchurch, Murray and Morreale!!

Yates is the most talented group of kids I’ve seen in a long time.  23 is the real deal!!

Dang really? That good... Most talented group?

30 minutes ago, bradyb said:

Dang really? That good... Most talented group?

I’ve seen them this year and am very familiar with this group.   They are very, very talented to be sure.  However, Silsbee’s team last year was clearly more talented in my mind and it looks like we will find out soon enough which group is better this year.  

Agree with Lazeek on #23 though.  He is a special kid.  Only issue I have seen is Yates’ inability to utilize his strengths at times. 

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I’ve seen them this year and am very familiar with this group.   They are very, very talented to be sure.  However, Silsbee’s team last year was clearly more talented in my mind and it looks like we will find out soon enough which group is better this year.  

Agree with Lazeek on #23 though.  He is a special kid.  Only issue I have seen is Yates’ inability to utilize his strengths at times. 

Ok that seems right. I think SIlsbee is going to be to much for them and that "press"

And to be clear, even if Silsbee beats Yates this year (and I would still make them a slight favorite), that doesn’t necessarily mean Silsbee is more talented THIS year.  I think the talent level is VERY close either way and couldn’t absolutely argue either is more so.  However, Silsbee’s strengths play to Yates’ weaknesses in my opinion.  This potential matchup will likely come down to which team shoots it better on that given night.  All things being equal (shooting-wise), give me the Tigers in fairly close affair. 

46 minutes ago, bradyb said:

Yates lives off of turnovers, right? SIlsbee is NOT going to turn the ball over like most teams did against Yates. 3 D1 guards are going to handle the pressure and get lay up after lay up and open 3's from the corner. 

Agree on that.  But I don't think Silsbee's pressure and overall defense is as good as last season's as well.  Should be an entertaining game.  Hope the Tigers can pull it out again.  

Yates shot the 3 as well as anyone I've seen in years last night. Not sure of percentages but they filled it up, they even hit a 3/4 court shot at the halftime buzzer. They reminded me of Silsbee's group from last year. I was surprised at how much they played above the rim. They had a ton of alley's and dunks.