Big Sandy

Fergton

On 2/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, indian15/16 said:

This is unfortunate on so many levels, the least of which is the fate of the basketball team but that would and should be the focus for this thread. The incident in question to my knowledge took place on Monday, possibly Tuesday, prior to their bi-district game against Cross Roads. It's my understanding that these comments were made in jest and were an attempt at humor. Unfortunately for these two young men they didn't account for their audience at the time nor the level of inappropriateness of their comments considering the tragic events taking place in schools all across the country. There may have been a more reasonable and logical way to resolve the incident but when you consider it on a larger scale I suppose you can't be too careful. I've known Coach Foster for some time now and consider him to be a fairly good judge of character when it comes to his players. There have been talented players with many off the court issues that he wouldn't allow on his team in the past and that would be true today. These two men in particular have been ingrained in the program for some time and for 2 years at the varsity level. I think if there was a core issue with their character it would have been identified by now and probably dealt with and since there has been no such action to this point I would be left to assume that Coach Foster was generally satisfied with these two young men on and off the court. As for the basketball, it's unfortunate indeed when considering the rest of the team, coaching staff, and fan base because they had the potential for a return to the regional tournament after a years absence. I'll say this as my parting thought, that though the loss of the two players contributed to the demise of the Wildcats against Crawford last night, it in no way was the reason the Wildcats lost. Just my opinion.....   

You are so right.  One in particular comes to mind that if he had played, I can’t imagine the Wildcats not having a couple of championships on their most recent two trips to state.  But he couldn’t get it together off the court, so Coach Foster wouldn’t let him on the court...

19 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

You are so right.  One in particular comes to mind that if he had played, I can’t imagine the Wildcats having a couple of championships on their most recent two trips to state.  But he couldn’t get it together off the court, so Coach Foster wouldn’t let him on the court...

I know exactly the young man you are referring to as a result of a couple of conversations I had with Coach Foster during those state runs. Coach Foster said he would have been the most talented player on those particular rosters at the time and those rosters included the likes of Angel Bullock, Benson Williams, Trent Williams, and Joseph Williams, just to name a few. And it in no way was any disrespect to any of those incredible players but rather a show of great respect to the young man's talents that unfortunately couldn't pull his life together of the court.

19 hours ago, indian15/16 said:

I know exactly the young man you are referring to as a result of a couple of conversations I had with Coach Foster during those state runs. Coach Foster said he would have been the most talented player on those particular rosters at the time and those rosters included the likes of Angel Bullock, Benson Williams, Trent Williams, and Joseph Williams, just to name a few. And it in no way was any disrespect to any of those incredible players but rather a show of great respect to the young man's talents that unfortunately couldn't pull his life together of the court.

Goes to show how great of person coach Foster  is and how great of coach he is also.  

10 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Goes to show how great of person coach Foster  is and how great of coach he is also.  

6 hours ago, indian15/16 said:

He's one of the best in the biz! Imo... 

You both are so right.  I knew the first time I ever saw BS play that they were extremely well coached.   That opinion was more and more validated every time I’ve seen them since.   But as great a coach as Foster is, he might be an even better person.  

Case in point, the man didn’t know me or my family from Adam but my knucklehead son left his backpack in their gym after a scrimmage.   Didn’t realize it until he got home.  We call and make sure they had it and he confirms they do and then offers to meet us in Lumberton, about the halfway point to drop it off.  I said thank you but absolutely not, I will come to dallardsville and pick it up.   I did it on a tournament day so I could have an excuse to see one of my favorite local teams play (which is hard to do often due to distance).  But that to me told me all I needed to know about the man.  And he was happy to talk a little hoops after the game when we went to his office to get it.  I will ALWAYS be a Kevin Foster fan.