Any more news on the UIL and ATT Stadium?

kicker 2.0

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:42 PM, kicker 2.0 said:

I thought I saw a while back that this coming football season (or maybe 2019 season)will be the last on the current contract between the UIL and Jerry Jones(ATT Stadium). Will the UIL change and do a rotation between Dallas, Houston and San Antonio? A co worker asked me at work if they will still play at ATT.

I hope they do, let the north drive south some times, stadium is trash anyway. THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF DALLAS IS 45 SOUTH!!!

1 hour ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:

I hope they do, let the north drive south some times, stadium is trash anyway. THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF DALLAS IS 45 SOUTH!!!

45 South back to 1998. If you think AT&T(nicest stadium in the world) is trash I sure don’t want to know what you think about NRG. Here’s the deal.. Jerry Jones owns AT&T which makes it so much easier for the UIL to negotiate. Harris County owns NRG and charges the UIL a lot more than Jerry charges; not to mention attendance is through the roof when the games are at AT&T....just my take 

20 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

45 South back to 1998. If you think AT&T(nicest stadium in the world) is trash I sure don’t want to know what you think about NRG. Here’s the deal.. Jerry Jones owns AT&T which makes it so much easier for the UIL to negotiate. Harris County owns NRG and charges the UIL a lot more than Jerry charges; not to mention attendance is through the roof when the games are at AT&T....just my take 

My understanding on attendance is that Houston area travels North, but Dallas area doesn't travel South. 

8 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Arlington is just a much more central location making it easier for not just DFW folks to attend the state games but for folks from panhandle, west and East Texas to attend...reason #86 the state games will continue to be at the greatest stadium on the planet 

NRG is trash too!! And if u think that crap in jerry chump redneck Jones so call world  is the best stadium   then go ahead chief u can have that. I've been to alot of them over a 20 year spand, and that one and NRG is on the bottom of my list 

Every year its the same crap Cowboys fans get on here and say it Dallas or bust. I'd rather go back to picking where your own team plays. That way the DFW area does not get a backyard home game every year for the state championship. If not then rotate it between the big three and give each area of the state an opportunity the play a little closer to home. 

Guest ECBucFan
1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Every year its the same crap Cowboys fans get on here and say it Dallas or bust. I'd rather go back to picking where your own team plays. That way the DFW area does not get a backyard home game every year for the state championship. If not then rotate it between the big three and give each area of the state an opportunity the play a little closer to home. 

Voicing that thought here is dangerous. Those who worship at the alter of Jerry Jones will rake you over the coals for daring to say that. 

God help you. 

AT&T is not trash. I think the kids like playing there and the hard work is not put out by the fans, it's put out by the kids. I like having all the games at one stadium. Dallas is more centrally located then Houston or San Antonio. I am not a Jerry fan but the stadium is nice. I don't think Jerry owns the stadium but has a lot of say in it. I think the  stadium was built by the tax payers.

Let me premise this by the fact that I'm from SETX but currently live in the burbs of Dallas (Frisco).  That said, to say that AT&T is garbage is one the most asinine comments I've ever heard spewed on this board.  I have only been to NRG once and while it's a nice stadium, it does not hold a candle to AT&T.  While I like the fact that games are close to me, the reality is it does give more home field advantage to teams in N TX.  As such, it's only fair that it should be rotated around.

• 2 weeks later...

The city of Arlington owns AT&T but Jerry Jones and the Cowboys are the operators of the stadium thus making negotiations much easier and more direct for the UIL...

As for Dallas people not driving to Houston...I think the bigger problem when the games were in Houston were Houston people didnt drive to Houston to see the games....a good portion of attendance at AT&T Stadium are locals who just make it an event to go there for playoff games etc. 

I do believe the games should be rotated, but I did a study over the past seven years (when the single site title games got started and if you take the average mileage from the schools participating thus far from each of the 3 stadiums AT&T is by far the most central locale (note I didnt include six man).....those numbers don't like and backup what the UIL says

2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
AT&T Stadium 147.1 206.5 183.3 171.9 182.6 161.2 179
NRG 203.7 244.9 236.4 251 252.1 226.3 246.4
Alamodome 231.9 222.4 243.4 269.2 235.5 246.5 230

agreed, who wouldn't want to play in the stadium where cowboys legends like cole beasley and allen hurns once played, not to mention the hallowed ground where jerry jones and his friends semi-yearly let homeless people free in the stadium and hunt them for sport

I like the stadium and agree that it is nice and I'm sure the kids like the stadium, what I don't like is the fact that the smaller schools have to play earlier and they get less time to prepare for the game. I liked it when the schools got to pick where they played at or you could even switch up the days and let some of the smaller schools play on the Friday and Saturday time slots. It would be nice though if they moved it around in a rotation to different cities though. 

5 hours ago, EaglesFootball said:

I like the stadium and agree that it is nice and I'm sure the kids like the stadium, what I don't like is the fact that the smaller schools have to play earlier and they get less time to prepare for the game. I liked it when the schools got to pick where they played at or you could even switch up the days and let some of the smaller schools play on the Friday and Saturday time slots. It would be nice though if they moved it around in a rotation to different cities though. 

The old model didn't make nearly as much money as the new model. NRG, Alamodome, hasn't/won't make nearly as much money at AT&T. Drop the pipe dream. The games are where they will always be forevermore.

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

The old model didn't make nearly as much money as the new model. NRG, Alamodome, hasn't/won't make nearly as much money at AT&T. Drop the pipe dream. The games are where they will always be forevermore.

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

That is fine if they want to leave them there. I just wish they would let some of the smaller schools play in the Friday and Saturday time slots instead of having to play on Wed and Thursday 

In order to draw the crowds (money), the system is set up the way it is. A lot of people will come early to watch the smaller schools but if you put some 5a or 6a schools ahead of a 1a or 2a  schools then most of those 6a fans are going to leave after their games. I don't see Arlington making any changes. What a drive it would have to be for Gunter to drive to Houston or San Antonio. I don't think their is a perfect solution.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:44 AM, prepballfan said:

Yes yes yes I agree the astrodome was the greatest place for football, next to coach Thompson 4 time state championship stadium oops I mean Dan r stadium. Go back to letting the teams pick 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:12 AM, ECBucFan said:

Voicing that thought here is dangerous. Those who worship at the alter of Jerry Jones will rake you over the coals for daring to say that. 

God help you. 

On 3/16/2018 at 6:44 AM, prepballfan said:

Yes yes yes I agree the astrodome was the greatest place for football, next to coach Thompson 4 time state championship stadium oops I mean Dan r stadium. Go back to letting the teams pick 

Forget Jerry Jones and all cowboy fans 

While I agree that going back to the coaches choosing the site of the championship game would promote the most fairness, I have to acknowledge that the current setup is far too lucrative for the UIL to give up. 

Maintaining the single site model is the only way that the UIL will get a network such as Fox Sports Southwest to broadcast the games and pay what they do for the broadcasts and the affiliated shows.  FSSW would not (and maybe could not) devote the resources necessary to carry the games from up to 12 different venues, which is what would be required should be UIL abandon the single site model.  The result, I presume, would be whoever would broadcast the games would limit the broadcasts to the 6A champ games and, maybe, the 5A champ games.  That would probably decrease greatly the revenue that the UIL would receive in broadcast rights.  We all know that the UIL won't stand for that.

Now then, do you rotate the venues?  It seems fair and despite the pot shots taken at each stadium, both NRG and AT&T (and the Alamodome for that matter) are NFL quality stadiums which would be able to provide the pageantry that we appear to desire.  It comes down again to finances.  Let me ask you this...if you are scouting venues to put on an event and one venue quotes you a rental half the price of the other venue, which one would you choose....that is simply what the UIL has done.

Much as I hate to admit, the UIL will remain in Arlington for the foreseeable future and they are being fiscally responsible in keeping it there.

11 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

While I agree that going back to the coaches choosing the site of the championship game would promote the most fairness, I have to acknowledge that the current setup is far too lucrative for the UIL to give up. 

Maintaining the single site model is the only way that the UIL will get a network such as Fox Sports Southwest to broadcast the games and pay what they do for the broadcasts and the affiliated shows.  FSSW would not (and maybe could not) devote the resources necessary to carry the games from up to 12 different venues, which is what would be required should be UIL abandon the single site model.  The result, I presume, would be whoever would broadcast the games would limit the broadcasts to the 6A champ games and, maybe, the 5A champ games.  That would probably decrease greatly the revenue that the UIL would receive in broadcast rights.  We all know that the UIL won't stand for that.

Now then, do you rotate the venues?  It seems fair and despite the pot shots taken at each stadium, both NRG and AT&T (and the Alamodome for that matter) are NFL quality stadiums which would be able to provide the pageantry that we appear to desire.  It comes down again to finances.  Let me ask you this...if you are scouting venues to put on an event and one venue quotes you a rental half the price of the other venue, which one would you choose....that is simply what the UIL has done.

Much as I hate to admit, the UIL will remain in Arlington for the foreseeable future and they are being fiscally responsible in keeping it there.

Finally, some sanity.

I have attended the entire championship weekend every year since 2012 and I can tell you, AT&T is the best there is to offer. The year it was at NRG felt stagnant compared to when it is at AT&T. Houston had its chance and the people of Houston did not turn up to the games. It's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Finally, some sanity.

I have attended the entire championship weekend every year since 2012 and I can tell you, AT&T is the best there is to offer. The year it was at NRG felt stagnant compared to when it is at AT&T. Houston had its chance and the people of Houston did not turn up to the games. It's as simple as that.

I still don't buy that one venue is significantly better than the other.  It is just given that as I see both as equal, and with the Houston Sports Authority demanding far more in outlay than AT&T, I can't blame the UIL for doing something that I would do myself.

Guest ECBucFan
On 3/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, bulldog81 said:

My understanding on attendance is that Houston area travels North, but Dallas area doesn't travel South. 

You are exactly right. Houston is punished for traveling, and D-FW is rewarded for not.