Worst facilities in the area?

StateChamp17

On 2/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, bigdog said:

To each his own I guess, doesn't change the fact that Nederland has a very good educational program and prepares the kids for college.  Facilities don't win football kids or educate kids.   I moved my kid from Katy back to Nederland.   Katy was more worried about that stupid standardized test than acutally teaching the kids things that they will use in life.  I do agree that a bond needs to be passed for new schools though.

Katy ISD is routinely named one of the top School Districts in the State, let alone the country

Meanwhile, I'm seeing footage on social media of a HS teacher at Nederland's class room under a deluge of water from Harvey. They won't change out the carpet because of the cost of the Asbestos Abatement. Seems like the football field isn't the only problem facilities wise over in those parts...

3 hours ago, The Icon said:

Katy ISD is routinely named one of the top School Districts in the State, let alone the country

Meanwhile, I'm seeing footage on social media of a HS teacher at Nederland's class room under a deluge of water from Harvey. They won't change out the carpet because of the cost of the Asbestos Abatement. Seems like the football field isn't the only problem facilities wise over in those parts...

Definitely not. That building is the newest school in the district it was opened in 1972. My parents, who are in their 80’s, attended both middle schools and one of the elementary schools. 

2 hours ago, bulldog81 said:

Definitely not. That building is the newest school in the district it was opened in 1972. My parents, who are in their 80’s, attended both middle schools and one of the elementary schools. 

What is really sad is Livingston has built 2 High Schools and a Jr. High since that was opened in '72.

Many citizens of the Nederland are blind eye of what it is like to be a student at the school. When they opened up all the schools to show how bad shape they are in. It was a pathetic turnout. They had a slideshow of pics at a special meeting, not many people came out. The lack of advertising on the first bond was mind boggling. Many of the school members at that time wanted the citizens to vote no. They called house to house to tell everyone to vote no. That this was a sports only bond in reality it was not. The younger generation is running for the school board they are wanting a change. If you want a change get out and vote be involved. 

9 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

For an area that likes to pat itself on the back for how good they are at everything they do in Nederland, it is amazing that the community has let the school facilities deteriorate to this point. From what I have seen, they need new junior highs and a new High School for sure.

3 elementary schools were built in the mid-60s. The other one was built in 1937. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:42 AM, The Icon said:

10 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

That is completely unacceptable.

How does a community let something like that go on for so long?

Have yall past a bond in the last 50 years? 

What district do you support by the way? Maybe with new blood on the board they can get a bond passed,  but even with the facilities they have Nederland is one of the highest ranked school district in this area.

59 minutes ago, bigdog said:

What district do you support by the way? Maybe with new blood on the board they can get a bond passed,  but even with the facilities they have Nederland is one of the highest ranked school district in this area.

I support Katy ISD and any other district that put their staff and  kids’ interest (health/safety/technological/etc) first. 

I don’t think anyone is saying Nederland is a bad district. But could you imagine how much better with improved facilities for students and teachers?

On 2/27/2018 at 0:23 PM, PlayActionPass said:

For an area that likes to pat itself on the back for how good they are at everything they do in Nederland, it is amazing that the community has let the school facilities deteriorate to this point. From what I have seen, they need new junior highs and a new High School for sure.

Are you a Nederland taxpayer?

12 hours ago, bigdog said:

The past 6 districts I have supported financially are all well ahead of Nederland in recently built schools. And I did not say anything about the quality of the education that students get in Nederland. That is definitely not my place and I do know that the Standardized Test scores in Nederland are very high.

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

Are you a Nederland taxpayer?

I am not a Nederland taxpayer, so you are right that my opinions mean absolutely zero.

However, it is a slap in the face of the students, teachers and the community as a whole to have facilities that are as outdated as the ones in Nederland, just an opinion from an outsider. 

Just because something is still functional doesn't mean it's not outdated. I think the great students and teachers in Nederland deserve a reward for their achievements. Having high quality facilities should be the goal of every district.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:58 AM, PlayActionPass said:

That is completely unacceptable.

How does a community let something like that go on for so long?

Have yall past a bond in the last 50 years? 

On 2/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, NHSBulldogFan said:

The last bond passed in March 1997 that built the Performing Arts Center 

Wrong. The last bond that was passed was what I call the “bandaid bond” around 2012 and completed in 2014. 

This is the hidden content, please

while working on the schools from the bond that passed the leaked information and status pics of the school were absolutely disgusting and disturbing. 

On 3/1/2018 at 0:01 PM, navydawg31 said:

Wrong. The last bond that was passed was what I call the “bandaid bond” around 2012 and completed in 2014. 

This is the hidden content, please

while working on the schools from the bond that passed the leaked information and status pics of the school were absolutely disgusting and disturbing. 

That bond didn't build anything new though. As you said it was the bandaid bond. The last bond that built anything new was the 1997 bond.

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

That bond didn't build anything new though. As you said it was the bandaid bond. The last bond that built anything new was the 1997 bond.

The question was asked when was the last bond passed. One in the past 50 years? And you replied 1997 the PAC building. Which was wrong 2012 was the last bond passed. Look above. But yeah bandaid it was, and we are currently alreadying having issues with the AC units they installed. I was told by a border member family member that the AC units purchased was actually refurbished not brand new. But to answer your question how do we get bonds to pass? To answer your question election is coming up and vote for candidates that are pro bonds, and are wanting new schools. If we fill those vacancies with people that want new schools that is your voice on the board. Then to follow up we need several meetings and walk around the schools again, invite the public and not be hush hush about it. The public was clueless on the first bond because they thought it was all about athletics which it was not. Many former board member spread the rumor that it was. Many of the older citizens at the time have now moved on and the city of Nederland is getting younger. Lot of the voices preaching that we need new schools went through those schools. My parents went to those same school, I went through those schools, now my kids as well are going through them. If Nederland doesn’t act and do something soon they will start losing key athletes to the area schools they have new schools. There is already 1 neighbor hood in BC that is almost all former Nederland star players. OF is starting to get one as well. I see it through out the community and all over FB people are leaving. It’s time to make a change. We have some of the best teachers in the area and test scores in the state. Time to push forward and treat our kids first rate not third rate. 

49 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

The question was asked when was the last bond passed. One in the past 50 years? And you replied 1997 the PAC building. Which was wrong 2012 was the last bond passed. Look above. But yeah bandaid it was, and we are currently alreadying having issues with the AC units they installed. I was told by a border member family member that the AC units purchased was actually refurbished not brand new. But to answer your question how do we get bonds to pass? To answer your question election is coming up and vote for candidates that are pro bonds, and are wanting new schools. If we fill those vacancies with people that want new schools that is your voice on the board. Then to follow up we need several meetings and walk around the schools again, invite the public and not be hush hush about it. The public was clueless on the first bond because they thought it was all about athletics which it was not. Many former board member spread the rumor that it was. Many of the older citizens at the time have now moved on and the city of Nederland is getting younger. Lot of the voices preaching that we need new schools went through those schools. My parents went to those same school, I went through those schools, now my kids as well are going through them. If Nederland doesn’t act and do something soon they will start losing key athletes to the area schools they have new schools. There is already 1 neighbor hood in BC that is almost all former Nederland star players. OF is starting to get one as well. I see it through out the community and all over FB people are leaving. It’s time to make a change. We have some of the best teachers in the area and test scores in the state. Time to push forward and treat our kids first rate not third rate. 

So, you feel that the facilities is the only reason why these people are leaving?

57 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

It really doesn’t matter at the end of the day when the last one was passed the point is Nederland could use some new schools 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

So, you feel that the facilities is the only reason why these people are leaving?

It is, straight from everyone’s mouth thatbhs moved.  If you move to the area with no ties at all and you tour png and Nederland schools which one you would prefer? If you have lived in the area for your natural born life and you attended those same exact schools as well as your parents and your kids are going there with mold infested cramped classrooms leaking roofs, everything dated and lived past its life with the same problems when you were in school would you want your kids to go through these problems. It is time to close it’s doors and start fresh and new.