Worst facilities in the area?

StateChamp17

I think that before we continue taking shots at our favorite targets, I think we need to step back and remember that these are not professional franchises that have barrels of money.  Most of the districts are ones who have very little in way of a tax base and must make what little they have stretch out to EVERY facet of the school district.

If WO-S is at the point where they can afford upgrades like those proposed, great.  But to rag on facilities without providing the means to correct it is disingenuous.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:56 AM, StateChamp17 said:

Kind of mentioned this on another post in another section. BUT man Nederlands facilities are a turd sandwich. NOT BUSTING on Nederland but I am being honest. By far the worst track and field I've ever seen hosting a high school event. THOSE KIDS DESERVE BETTER. It literally isn't even about looking good. Track meet last night..I was worried someone was going to break an ankle. Kids running in the dark on the curves because no lights reach that far. Bathrooms full of mud and standing water. Jumping pit boards not even close to level..just old rotten out wood. Looking at the field I can't say much more....field, track and everything out there just peaks and valleys. I watched an out of town couple from one of the Houston area schools walking into the facility and they actually stopped and looked and said "OMG, this is horrible." I felt horrible for the Nederland students. They deserve better. You can't paint a turd gold and tell me it's 24 carat.

Who has it worse in the area?? Anybody?

That is why you don't have track meets in February 

Those of us that post on sites like SETX or Smoaky have a passion for this stuff so we want top notch facilities...but a lot of folks could not care less about HS athletics so it can be hard to get major upgrades approved (bonds). Henderson has been very fortunate. The stadium is in the final stage of a multi-year, multi-million dollar renovation and will be really nice when complete. The school covered the cost of turf and about 20% toward the video board...but everything else was paid for by VERY generous donations. Henderson football is pretty good (but over shadowed by district mate Carthage). This decade the Lions have a state championship...5 seasons with 11+ wins...and a 19-5 playoff record...but despite that success there is no chance a bond would have passed to upgrade facilities.

I think its funny that for a few years now we have heard members like unclepig, mosshill, and several others make the suggestion that setx will be would more successful if they paid more and upgraded utilities.  Someone asks who are the worst in the area and first responses are WOS and Newton.  You might be onto something here!

The main problem with Nederland bonds getting passed was the first one around 2009 was wrong information was put out before the citizens that the bond was all about Athletics. No new schools, board members were calling people’s house telling people to vote no. The whole thing was disaster. In 2012 they came back the “band aid” bond. Pass this bond we will get 20 more years out of the school. Which is a lie and pathetic. The older school board members are getting out and the younger new generation that know how the schools are taking a stand. Mr. Micah Mosley is running for school board, he is the type of change Nederland needs. He wants to get things done correct he’s taking a stand.  

Words from Mr. Mosley- ’m pro-bond... Overall, I was disappointed in the 2009 and 2012 bond outcomes. If I am elected, I hope to have the opportunity to work with a bond committee on getting our facilities back on track. Ask your company's HR department what incoming families look at when evaluating the area. One of the biggest factors that influences where a family buys their home is the school district and its facilities. We all know friends and families that have even left Nederland due to the state of our facilities. I want to shake this up and push hard for improvements. In consideration of  tragedies over the years, it’s also time to get even more serious regarding the security of our facilities and the safety of our students. Some of these security vulnerabilities can be addressed through facility improvements. We have great teachers, great students, and great families in Nederland. Let's retain these three things that make Nederland great.  

I'm pro-STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)... STEM-related jobs are expected to continue skyrocketing over the next century. Over the years, our school district has taken huge strides in improving student interest in STEM. Who is the leading STEM school district in our area? Who is developing the next doctors, engineers, scientists, and STEM teachers the best? We can be that ISD! I want to further push for local industry partnerships, equipment, tools, teachers, and opportunities that can give our students a leg up on competition.  

I'm pro-trade development... We need to recognize that not all students want to go to college. Considering the greater Houston area, we live in a refinery/plant metropolis. Great paying trade jobs - are - EVERYWHERE. A recent post on the NHS CTE facebook page showed a student with his lap joint weld. These are skills we need to commend, and I want to continue pushing for the development and expansion of our trade school and CTE programs.

I'm pro-extracurriculars... Unashamedly, I might add. I can't say enough about the benefits of participating in our school sports, fine arts, UIL academics, and all of our other various clubs and organizations. These students learn teamwork, diligence, commitment, time-management, valuable leadership skills, and studies show they earn higher GPAs vs their non-participating peers. Participating on behalf of our community gives a feeling of honor and pride that just can't be taught in the classroom. We should celebrate our extracurricular success at Nederland and ensure we are equipping our students with the support, equipment, and facilities they need for continued success. A strong extracurriculars program is an attribute we need to sustain in Nederland.

I say all that to say Nederland already does a lot of things really, really well. But we can be better, and we can do better. We can set the standard, and we should not sell ourselves short. I’m a firm believer our school district is the backbone of the city, and I’m passionate about Nederland taking pride in the black and gold. If you’re wanting to vote for someone that takes pride living in Nederland, that’s raising his family in Nederland, and will always seek and expect the best for Nederland, I’m your person.

Help me be a voice for our students, teachers, and families!

1 hour ago, rykerx144 said:

I think its funny that for a few years now we have heard members like unclepig, mosshill, and several others make the suggestion that setx will be would more successful if they paid more and upgraded utilities.  Someone asks who are the worst in the area and first responses are WOS and Newton.  You might be onto something here!

Poor facilities don’t necessarily equal success either. Those are both very unique communities that support a very unique culture within their programs. A unique culture that doesn’t fly just anywhere, regardless of facilities.

47 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Poor facilities don’t necessarily equal success either. Those are both very unique communities that support a very unique culture within their programs. A unique culture that doesn’t fly just anywhere, regardless of facilities.

You really dont think I was implying poor facilities do I hope

1 hour ago, rykerx144 said:
3 hours ago, rykerx144 said:

You really dont think I was implying poor facilities do I hope

I was referring to the above statement 

I don't think ryker is trying to infer a that outdated facilities creates a successful program.  However, he has illustrated perfectly that state of the art facilities are not required for a program to be successful.

That being said, I know Cornel Thompson would like artificial turf on his home field.....I am quite sure that W.T. Johnston would as well.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, StateChamp17 said:

Kind of mentioned this on another post in another section. BUT man Nederlands facilities are a turd sandwich. NOT BUSTING on Nederland but I am being honest. By far the worst track and field I've ever seen hosting a high school event. THOSE KIDS DESERVE BETTER. It literally isn't even about looking good. Track meet last night..I was worried someone was going to break an ankle. Kids running in the dark on the curves because no lights reach that far. Bathrooms full of mud and standing water. Jumping pit boards not even close to level..just old rotten out wood. Looking at the field I can't say much more....field, track and everything out there just peaks and valleys. I watched an out of town couple from one of the Houston area schools walking into the facility and they actually stopped and looked and said "OMG, this is horrible." I felt horrible for the Nederland students. They deserve better. You can't paint a turd gold and tell me it's 24 carat.

Who has it worse in the area?? Anybody?

I also attended this track meet and sat on the visitors side at the finish line.  So at one point, I decided to go to the men's room.  There was some water on the floor.  There were plenty of urinals and toilets but when I turned around to wash my hands there was only 1 sink and after examination of it, I felt my hands were already in a cleaner state.  Just to the left of the sink was 1 air dryer that wasn't even plugged in.  Thank God I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket.  So I wonder how many men went to the restroom that evening and left out without washing their hands?????  And this is a prime example of why I don't shake hands, so don't feel offended if I give you a fist bump...

17 minutes ago, Alpha Wolf said:

I also attended this track meet and sat on the visitors side at the finish line.  So at one point, I decided to go to the men's room.  There was some water on the floor.  There were plenty of urinals and toilets but when I turned around to wash my hands there was only 1 sink and after examination of it, I felt my hands were already in a cleaner state.  Just to the left of the sink was 1 air dryer that wasn't even plugged in.  Thank God I keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket.  So I wonder how many men went to the restroom that evening and left out without washing their hands?????  And this is a prime example of why I don't shake hands, so don't feel offended if I give you a fist bump...

Lmbo!  I've seen dudes walk right past the free soap, water, and paper towels and walk right up and shake someone's hand.

13 minutes ago, joeisbell said:

we want the best for our kids, but we also understand that its costly on many to have those "state of the art facilities" that you see in some areas that can afford it moreso than others. we do have a nice gynasium though :) 

The cost of a 20-30 MILLION dollar bond package cost the average home owner about as much as they spend on coffee and doughnuts. Really people, we spend more money on fast food, cigarettes and liquor than we do on our children's education and athletics are a big part of education.

31 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

The cost of a 20-30 MILLION dollar bond package cost the average home owner about as much as they spend on coffee and doughnuts. Really people, we spend more money on fast food, cigarettes and liquor than we do on our children's education and athletics are a big part of education.

That’s not a very good argument. First off, the “average homeowner” typically doesn’t pay the majority of these taxes. The average homeowner owns a moderate house that enjoys a homeowner’s exemption. The guy with the $350K+ house will be paying a lot more than “coffee and doughnut” money. Even harder hit is the guy with multiple properties or a business owner. So, while YOU might be giving up a dozen donuts a month, there are very real consequences for people who have made better financial decisions and consequently have a little more “skin in the game.” 

The schools always stand ready to accept any donations that you should voluntarily choose to make, my generous (with other peoples’ money) friend. 

8 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

That’s not a very good argument. First off, the “average homeowner” typically doesn’t pay the majority of these taxes. The average homeowner owns a moderate house that enjoys a homeowner’s exemption. The guy with the $350K+ house will be paying a lot more than “coffee and doughnut” money. Even harder hit is the guy with multiple properties or a business owner. So, while YOU might be giving up a dozen donuts a month, there are very real consequences for people who have made better financial decisions and consequently have a little more “skin in the game.” 

The schools always stand ready to accept any donations that you should voluntarily choose to make, my generous (with other peoples’ money) friend. 

Dang CB, you are the classic Dan Patrick supporter. Public Education is the backbone of this country. Are you an East Coast Yankee Elitists? Who do you think should pay for our children'e education? And try not to forget that we are talking about the future leaders of this nation.

And these people who own multiple properties and business are NOT the ones that keep School Bonds from passing. It is your average homeowner who thinks their property taxes are going to sky rocket. Or worse yet, the fixed income retired people who's property taxes are "locked" and won't even go up if a Bond is passed.

31 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

That is why everyone can cast their votes as they see fit. I don't know if I'd use the term "better" financial decisions... Perhaps people are more conservative, or on the flip side, aren't as well informed financially as others. 

If I can still live comfortably and support my family, I have no problems with my money being invested in our nation's youth and their development. 

17 hours ago, rykerx144 said:

At least Kirbyville stepped up to play them.  I suppose Newton is scared of Buna?

Correction....At least the all powerful school board stepped up.  The acting AD at the time did not want to play Newton and put the new AD in a bind.  I have never heard of a school board with this much power.  

17 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

The main problem with Nederland bonds getting passed was the first one around 2009 was wrong information was put out before the citizens that the bond was all about Athletics. No new schools, board members were calling people’s house telling people to vote no. The whole thing was disaster. In 2012 they came back the “band aid” bond. Pass this bond we will get 20 more years out of the school. Which is a lie and pathetic. The older school board members are getting out and the younger new generation that know how the schools are taking a stand. Mr. Micah Mosley is running for school board, he is the type of change Nederland needs. He wants to get things done correct he’s taking a stand.  

Words from Mr. Mosley- ’m pro-bond... Overall, I was disappointed in the 2009 and 2012 bond outcomes. If I am elected, I hope to have the opportunity to work with a bond committee on getting our facilities back on track. Ask your company's HR department what incoming families look at when evaluating the area. One of the biggest factors that influences where a family buys their home is the school district and its facilities. We all know friends and families that have even left Nederland due to the state of our facilities. I want to shake this up and push hard for improvements. In consideration of  tragedies over the years, it’s also time to get even more serious regarding the security of our facilities and the safety of our students. Some of these security vulnerabilities can be addressed through facility improvements. We have great teachers, great students, and great families in Nederland. Let's retain these three things that make Nederland great.  

I'm pro-STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)... STEM-related jobs are expected to continue skyrocketing over the next century. Over the years, our school district has taken huge strides in improving student interest in STEM. Who is the leading STEM school district in our area? Who is developing the next doctors, engineers, scientists, and STEM teachers the best? We can be that ISD! I want to further push for local industry partnerships, equipment, tools, teachers, and opportunities that can give our students a leg up on competition.  

I'm pro-trade development... We need to recognize that not all students want to go to college. Considering the greater Houston area, we live in a refinery/plant metropolis. Great paying trade jobs - are - EVERYWHERE. A recent post on the NHS CTE facebook page showed a student with his lap joint weld. These are skills we need to commend, and I want to continue pushing for the development and expansion of our trade school and CTE programs.

I'm pro-extracurriculars... Unashamedly, I might add. I can't say enough about the benefits of participating in our school sports, fine arts, UIL academics, and all of our other various clubs and organizations. These students learn teamwork, diligence, commitment, time-management, valuable leadership skills, and studies show they earn higher GPAs vs their non-participating peers. Participating on behalf of our community gives a feeling of honor and pride that just can't be taught in the classroom. We should celebrate our extracurricular success at Nederland and ensure we are equipping our students with the support, equipment, and facilities they need for continued success. A strong extracurriculars program is an attribute we need to sustain in Nederland.

I say all that to say Nederland already does a lot of things really, really well. But we can be better, and we can do better. We can set the standard, and we should not sell ourselves short. I’m a firm believer our school district is the backbone of the city, and I’m passionate about Nederland taking pride in the black and gold. If you’re wanting to vote for someone that takes pride living in Nederland, that’s raising his family in Nederland, and will always seek and expect the best for Nederland, I’m your person.

Help me be a voice for our students, teachers, and families!

You sound like your running his campaign, LOL.    As far as the stadium goes, I have said for years put turf down and pave that huge field next to the stadium, you would have plenty of parking.  Yes, the restrooms need to be replaced  and also the announcers booth.  But I also know that they have schools that need replacing first.   Hopefully Mr. Mosely can get a bond through if he is elected.    But no, Nederland is not the worst stadium in the area.