Homerun Thread

Critter

49 minutes ago, Critter said:

From my count over the last four years it has fallen off greatly.  These are the numbers reported to me through this site.

2014 = 229 hr’s

2015 = 156 hr’s

2016 = 146 hr’s

2017 = 121 hr’s

I didn't know it was that bad. Geez. Looks like BBCOR regulations have made highschool kids learn to actually swing with technique to develop power instead of relying solely on the bat.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, Fan1603 said:

Maybe pitching has just gotten better :)!?

Without sounding like the neighborhood old man screaming "get off my lawn" or "I remember when" I will respectfully

disagree with the above statement as the sole reason for offensive production/HR numbers being down. This trend has been a topic discussed by plenty of local reputable baseball folks who have very respected opinions. IMHO it's a combination of the bats and the new "elevate and celebrate" mentality where everyone wants to have these huge leg kicks and excessive movements in their swings when they aren't physically mature enough to handle swings like that. The concept of preaching "launch angles" to high school kids and younger players is crazy IMHO. The emphasis on HR's at the higher levels has trickled down to younger players and they simply are not capable of producing those kind of results that MLB players are looking for. Instead of building a fundamentally sound swing and approach at the plate there are guys trying to make young kids into "mini Josh Donaldson's". Swings like Donaldson's are acquired after mastering a basic swing, increasing overall strength, and tons of reps. There have been above average arms in our area forever and I won't discount the fact that there are some really good ones out there now that do plenty of damage to opponents collective offensive stats. The overall decline in offense is a culmination of several factors that appear to be far from being remedied anytime soon. Topics such as this spawn some great discussion and I hope this one continues because I personally enjoy hearing what others think.

Respectfully,

Rake1