Beaumont Ozen 51 Port Arthur Memorial 59/FINAL

WOSgrad

6 hours ago, D3zii said:

Wow what Coach T is doing with an undermaned Ozen squad is just a testament to how good of a coach he is..

Ill be surprised if he isn’t seriously and when I say Seriously I mean top 2 choices for the new school Basketball coach 

I was having a conversation with many fans about if the hire happens to be 'in house', who'd be the best for the job.  Not a knock on my fellow Jag alum, Coach Paul, buuuuuut....  Mike T gets the nod from me...

If either of those guys were to be considered, that job would not be open to outside applicants.  The new Beaumont jobs are not for inexperienced head coaches in basketball or football.  While they are both decent coaches in their own right, I just don't think they are the right choice for a consolidated job between the two schools. It will take a coach that BOTH groups of kids will respect and follow.  David Green, Andre Boutte, Todd Sutherland, Duane Joubert, Joe Sigler, are the names that come to mind from the area in basketball.  Football will definitely have to go outside, but that's another discussion.

19 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

If either of those guys were to be considered, that job would not be open to outside applicants.  The new Beaumont jobs are not for inexperienced head coaches in basketball or football.  While they are both decent coaches in their own right, I just don't think they are the right choice for a consolidated job between the two schools. It will take a coach that BOTH groups of kids will respect and follow.  David Green, Andre Boutte, Todd Sutherland, Duane Joubert, Joe Sigler, are the names that come to mind from the area in basketball.  Football will definitely have to go outside, but that's another discussion.

So what makes u think that they wouldn't respect Paul and Thomas and would respect the other guys. Paul and Thomas have worked with kids from both programs and from what I hear the kids have respect for both of them. Imo if one of them are not hired they will lose a lot of kids. 

16 minutes ago, The Unknown said:

So what makes u think that they wouldn't respect Paul and Thomas and would respect the other guys. Paul and Thomas have worked with kids from both programs and from what I hear the kids have respect for both of them. Imo if one of them are not hired they will lose a lot of kids. 

Simple. Track record. Either of those guys would be capable of taking over that basketball job, however, if the BISD AD wants RESULTS, the guys that I named have a PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF RESULTS.

32 minutes ago, JayBilas said:

Simple. Track record. Either of those guys would be capable of taking over that basketball job, however, if the BISD AD wants RESULTS, the guys that I named have a PROVEN TRACK RECORD OF RESULTS.

Yeah understandable but all the guys u named had to get a start somewhere Boutte didn't have a track record when he got his first job. Both Paul and Thomas came up under Boutte. I think either one of them would do a great job and would have a solid staff. So knocking them because they don't have the track record of the older coaches is not rt. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown said:

This very well may be true..

26 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

This very well may be true..

Maybe,

only reason i can disagree is becaues its Basketball...Kids want to play Basketball no matter who the coach is, now granted, if one of thoes coaches do get the job, they will have familiarity due to being in this area,  and also it wont take as long for the kids to buy in, due to them knowing of either coach but i dont think kids will quit just cause you get a good coach from El Paso (just an example) ..Basketball is a game.the kids love specially being from Beaumont where the kids are actually really good at it,  not to mention they'll probably be excited no matter who the  coach is becaues they get to play with some of the best players from the city as well as area..if that dont get there juices pumping and confidence sky high it don't matter who the coache is

I was having this discussion the other day these kids will quit because they don’t care. Don’t think for one second these kids don’t have a preference with who they want to coach . Parents and kids are already saying they are ready to jump ship .I’ve been around long enough to know that this generation is mentally weak. There are a handful that can withstand the grind but the others will flat out give up and walk away with no shame. I do not understand it because some of these parents have blinders on no situation in life will be perfect. You can’t hold their hand in life you allow them to fight battles because in the future similar situations will come around again could be in the workplace. Just my opinion and no it isn’t true for all but I hear some of these kids talk and it’s mind boggling.

And to quote Coach Thomas : “I would love to have the job I feel like I have what it takes to establish a winning program. I understand some may think I’m too young or inexperienced but experience comes from learning and every coach has to go through it. I know all these kids and have great relationships with them and I myself played for one of the best coaches ever. My mentors like Coach Boutte, Coach Gamble have taught me a lot about life and basketball. Whom ever gets the job will have a hell of task at hand and if it is not me I JUST WANT WORK WITH THE KIDS in some capacity whether it be freshman,jv or whatever is asked.” 

2 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

I was having this discussion the other day these kids will quit because they don’t care. Don’t think for one second these kids don’t have a preference with who they want to coach . Parents and kids are already saying they are ready to jump ship .I’ve been around long enough to know that this generation is mentally weak. There are a handful that can withstand the grind but the others will flat out give up and walk away with no shame. I do not understand it because some of these parents have blinders on no situation in life will be perfect. You can’t hold their hand in life you allow them to fight battles because in the future similar situations will come around again could be in the workplace. Just my opinion and no it isn’t true for all but I hear some of these kids talk and it’s mind boggling.

I  agree with this a 100%. When Port Arthur schools  merged participation went down. I can't count the number of times I have been in the gym and seen 5 or six kids 6'5 or better on the court at the same time  in open gym. In rec league you have 6 teams and everyone of them has a big.  Then when the season comes 1 maybe 2 play for the school. My comment in the other post about hiring the wrong coach wasn't a dig at a particular coach or coaches it's was about knowing the community and seeing the lack of participation / support that came from the hire.

6 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Your absolutely right

This generation of kids is very weak, but the reason they're like that is becaues of the parents. Parenting got bad and kids got worse. Think they're entitled to everything and don't have to work hard anymore for wat they want. 

Great post

On 2/3/2018 at 2:45 PM, The Unknown said:

Yeah understandable but all the guys u named had to get a start somewhere Boutte didn't have a track record when he got his first job. Both Paul and Thomas came up under Boutte. I think either one of them would do a great job and would have a solid staff. So knocking them because they don't have the track record of the older coaches is not rt. 

Not knocking them at all...Boutte didn't start off at PA Lincoln, he started off at Kountze...So did Green as a head coach. See a pattern here?  You don't gain experience at jobs that you are not ready for. Note I did NOT say jobs that they 'cannot HANDLE'....I said NOT READY FOR. Dues are underrated, but certain jobs will require a certain type of savvy in coaching AND off court management that some guys are just not ready for...Not a knock, just facts.

2 hours ago, JayBilas said:

Not knocking them at all...Boutte didn't start off at PA Lincoln, he started off at Kountze...So did Green as a head coach. See a pattern here?  You don't gain experience at jobs that you are not ready for. Note I did NOT say jobs that they 'cannot HANDLE'....I said NOT READY FOR. Dues are underrated, but certain jobs will require a certain type of savvy in coaching AND off court management that some guys are just not ready for...Not a knock, just facts.

So how much do you know about Paul or Thomas how do you know that they don't what it takes to run a program like that? And how do you figure that they are not ready!!!!! IMO both take good care of their programs on and off of the court.