Silsbee 107 Hamshire-Fannett 13/FINAL

WOSgrad

10 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

The Tigers have to play.  They have to stay sharp.  After all Yates is lurking somewhere out there.

HF hasn't been a basketball power but it hasn't been quite like this in the past.  Is there some back story to this?  Injuries?  

Very young team.  Including several freshmen.  Probably has a lot to do with why there is no freshman team.  

I sat real close to the court and the gym was pretty quiet except when Hf would score.  I could hear most any talking on the court and all I heard was the Tigers talking to each other and working together.  HF has a young team that fights and is getting good at xperience but this is just a pure mismatch. Tigers have too much speed and athleticism.

It is hard to fathom that a team scores 100 and didn’t run up the score.  But I have no doubt that is exactly what happened.  It is a very tough balancing act getting your kids the minutes they need to stay sharp while trying not to embarrass your opponent.  Joe Sigler in basketball and Cornell Thompson in football are among the best I’ve seen.  And both are complete class acts.  Sometimes you have to look at more than numbers on a computer screen (like attend a game) to understand that. 

Running clock, playing your 3rd string including 2 JV kids, what more do you want. The HF coach was a class act by posting this. Every kid on the bench doesn' play every night and you can' just not play starters. The Harmon kid scored 14 after being called up yesterday acted Kaylon Barnes only scored 4. The score could have been 206-15! 

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

Why only have the mercy rule in baseball?  At the half of a lot of these games, you know it's over.  Why embarrass kids more than they already are?  I know all to well about not trying to run up the score, we have had that problem.  You can't tell the kids to stop playing.  Maybe there is no solution.

I would be in favor of this. 

I think basketball would be harder to implement.  Another point is baseball and even football don’t require the same conditioning as basketball.  Take away some of those minutes and it can hurt teams that play that uptempo game all game.  Not sure which way I would lean.  I do like the way it was handled last night but see the other side as well.

43 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I think basketball would be harder to implement.  Another point is baseball and even football don’t require the same conditioning as basketball.  Take away some of those minutes and it can hurt teams that play that uptempo game all game.  Not sure which way I would lean.  I do like the way it was handled last night but we the other side as well.

In the end, there  probably is not a viable solution to the lopsided scores.  It was just a thought I had.  I agree with the idea of minutes being taken away.

4 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

Why only have the mercy rule in baseball?  At the half of a lot of these games, you know it's over.  Why embarrass kids more than they already are?  I know all to well about not trying to run up the score, we have had that problem.  You can't tell the kids to stop playing.  Maybe there is no solution.

Reason why there is a mercy rule in baseball because it is not a timed sport like football and basketball. Some of those games would never end.

Running clock in 2nd half should be used more often in these cases.

22 hours ago, Makemineaconvertible said:

I don’t find anything classy by winning by 94. What comes around goes around 

Interesting comment.  I think I remember Kirbyville football hanging several 50+ point victories over the last 10 years.  But, you are right, it looks like it has already started to catch up with the Wildcats. I bet Newton is praying for no hurricanes this year...