Newton Football - 2018 Schedule

Under Par

On 2/8/2018 at 1:23 PM, SETXanalyst said:

Oh boy, this is juicy. For informational purposes here are some scores.

2014 Newton 21 - WOS 9

2015 WOS 48 - Newton 7

WOW 48 to 7. Don't play stupid and act like Newton learned anything from that game except that they were not on the same level. I keep reading that coaches don't want to take loss to avoid tarnishing their record. Do you really think W.T. Is worried about that? These are the only 2 teams in this corner of the state, that have dominated in their divisions year in and year out. W.T. Is still going to get a win. But at some point you have to ask yourself as a coach. Is it worth risking my players health and letting them take a major hit to their pride just to be "competitive". Do you think that if Newton played Burkeville or Deweyville makes either team better? If I'm a coach and I know my team, I understand where I can and can't compete year in and year out. I think if Cornell took a 48-7  loss to someone like Manvel, we might be having this same conversation about him. It's a shame that some of you think it's about the W/L for a man like W.T. who has dominated as a coach be it as a DC or an AD for nearly 30 years and has 2 state championship visits in 4 years with 1 to take home while he has been practically at gods mercy for the whole ride. When 99% of SETX can't even put together a competitive team for 1 year much less 30.

We got beat by Richmond Foster 42-14 and tried to reschedule them but the alignment messed us up.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:09 PM, jimmyw said:

I am saying that I could care less if we ever play WOS ever even if we were the IMG of football. Play Orangefield, LCM , Bridge City, Silsbee and Jasper. IDC

Lol...you lost the sarcasm in my comment, but that's OK. Playing Newton would be good competition for both teams, but it won't bother me at all if we don't play Newton. W.T could have handled this better.

Has Newton tried calling KIPP? 

46 minutes ago, griff said:

Lol...you lost the sarcasm in my comment, but that's OK. Playing Newton would be good competition for both teams, but it won't bother me at all if we don't play Newton. W.T could have handled this better.

Has Newton tried calling KIPP? 

KIPP, Houston, Northeast or sunnyside? 

This is my question Newton has 5 D1 players and a couple of D2 , your telling me every larger school that yall think would destroy Newton has the same amount of recruits ?? I don’t think so , Newton has unusual depth for a small school , many larger schools have learned that over the years . Any coach should look at this like a challenge , their aren’t to many 4a or 3a schools with this many High Quality athletes.  This is a rare opportunity to play a good fast team, they will challenge you and maybe help you in the playoffs when you see a similar team.  . No trophy for going undefeated in predistrict . 

1 hour ago, jkbtjc53 said:

Even with 5 D1 recruits if Newton were to play WOS this year they would probably lose or it would be a close win by Newton.  

FYI WOS has had more then 5 D1 recruits on campus multiple times, this is only new to Newton HS.

I watched WOS a few times in the playoffs last year . And I’ve watched Newton. Idk what WOS has this year but they wouldn’t have beaten Newton last year. 

1 hour ago, aTmfan06 said:

I watched WOS a few times in the playoffs last year . And I’ve watched Newton. Idk what WOS has this year but they wouldn’t have beaten Newton last year. 

Well of course not. We already know that Newton would have crushed Carthage and Manvel, too. 

WOS would have beaten Newton by at LEAST 3 TDs. 

Newton Fan is delusional. 

3 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well of course not. We already know that Newton would have crushed Carthage and Manvel, too. 

First of all I’m not a “Newton Fan”. I’m also not gonna argue with someone who has shown nothing but shade towards Newton constantly, which is what you have done. WOS barely beat a Salado team who wasn’t good at all. I never said they would beat Carthage or Manvel. Carthage could have beaten Newton by 3+ TDS last year because Carthage was that good! Not knocking Newton at all. Now to sit here and say WOS would beat Newton by 3 TDS is just outright delusional. And most everyone on here would agree with me with the exception of you and possibly a big WOS homer .

43 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

First of all I’m not a “Newton Fan”. I’m also not gonna argue with someone who has shown nothing but shade towards Newton constantly, which is what you have done. WOS barely beat a Salado team who wasn’t good at all. I never said they would beat Carthage or Manvel. Carthage could have beaten Newton by 3+ TDS last year because Carthage was that good! Not knocking Newton at all. Now to sit here and say WOS would beat Newton by 3 TDS is just outright delusional. And most everyone on here would agree with me with the exception of you and possibly a big WOS homer .

No matter who we played we were doubted. Newton was darn good last year and would've loved to see us play them but to say that they'd beat us I highly doubt but we'll never know. It for sure woudln't have been a blowout but we would've won. You say we barely beat Salado but could Newton get past Wimberley? You'd need more than one DB to handle them. In order for us to get beat you'd HAVE to dominate us in the trenches. PG did by far but i doubt Newton would've did that.

4 hours ago, jkbtjc53 said:

Even with 5 D1 recruits if Newton were to play WOS this year they would probably lose or it would be a close win by Newton.  

FYI WOS has had more then 5 D1 recruits on campus multiple times, this is only new to Newton HS.

No they don’t bro sorry and Newton has pushed out a D1 every year for the last decade . It easy to see who has offers 

1 hour ago, Back2swag said:

No they don’t bro sorry and Newton has pushed out a D1 every year for the last decade . It easy to see who has offers 

I’m talking about FBS D1 Guys. Not McNeese. WOS has been sending guys to D1 schools yearly, this is Newton’s first year having multiple FBS guys.

WOS had 7 FBS DBs on campus at one time a few years back.

Newton is going to be in for a rude awakening when they meet up with the Buckeyes in 2018. Then they will know the difference in the top teams of the different classes. Gilmer won't have 1 D1 recruit next year, unless Bran Webb gets an offer. Rockdale would've gave Newton all they wanted this year. They had just as many studs as Newton. P5 QB and WR on that team too. 

Why don't you all just wait until Newton plays Gilmer and see what happens. None of you know what will happen. This site is full of crow eaters. All of you keep comparing apples to oranges. Newton can't just beat every team and WO-S can't just beat every team. The Newton players and Coaches are not mouthing off that they can beat Gilmer or anyone else. You all just stir up all this crap.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, CardinalBacker said:

If by "money-making" you mean that Newton fans would show up and lay waste to a case and a half of smoked turkey legs.  

Newton doesn't travel worth a flip.  Their fans don't leave Newton County until the playoffs start.  

On 2/4/2018 at 6:45 AM, CardinalBacker said:

That’s not true. 

Well, it might be if you’re talking about vehicles that run. 

Seriously, though. Newton came to BC during non-district play and I remember thinking that the team looked really good this year, but once again the stands over there were pretty sparsely populated. I would argue that we had more fans turn out in Navasota late in a losing campaign than Newton brought an hour down the road to Historic Larry B Ward Stadium. 

Call the proposed matchup between Newton and Carthage whatever you want... calling it a potential money-maker isn’t accurate. 

On 2/4/2018 at 5:33 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Not quite. Too many kids playing both ways, and although bless with some really talented kids at the top of the roster, the deficiencies down the roster eventually turn up when facing teams with big kids and lots of fresh bodies. 

i guess I’m the only one that can remember all of the way back to two years ago when Newton was getting walked by Orangefield. 

On 2/5/2018 at 6:12 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Have you ever seen Carthage, for instance? You’re nowhere near as stacked as dozens of 4A schools.  Once again, I don’t want to sound hateful, but I don’t think a single kid on the Newton squad has ever played a snap of D1 ball... much less in the SEC. 

Kids who are projected to be D1 talent from small schools tend to get exposed when they step onto the field at the next level. Every kid with a few shreds of talent looks like a world beater when facing 3A D2 teams. Every few years we hear all about how Newton has a whole new crop of “D1 Talent” and then they are never heard from again. Except for the ones that go to McNeese  

Once again... I wish we had our choice of some of those kids here in BC. I’m not being hateful. You guys just wrecked your division.... 3A D2. I tend to think you guys would attract a whole lot less hate if you stuck your bird chests out and said “we’re the best in 3A D2!!! Do y’all want to see our rings again?” instead of hitting the message boards trying to convince the masses that you’d have rolled through all of 3A and 4A. 

Makes trips to Jerryworld the next three years and we’ll still say you’re inferior to WOS... because you’re doing it against weaker comp. 

On 2/5/2018 at 7:16 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Let’s be honest.... every team that you “think” you can hang with has a much tougher road through the playoffs than Newton. 

It only makes your accomplishments look weaker when you start comparing yourself to championship teams that everbody NOT wearing purple knows would KILL lil’ol’ Newton. 

So, much like the Gold Medal winning Special Olympians, celebrate your win. But stop kidding yourselves. 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:04 PM, CardinalBacker said:

And I dare say that Carthage faced a better Silsbee squad than Newton did based on personnel changes, post hurricane bs, etc, etc.....

On 2/9/2018 at 7:43 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Give me a break.... Newton beat Silsbee the week after the flood when most schools were still cancelled and before Silsbee made adjustments that sent them into the playoffs. They also beat a terrible BC team. Other than that, Newton didn’t face a single 4A school. You’re basing your opinion on absolutely zero relevant experiences. 

To suddenly crown them kings of 4A is silly. I don’t care how much “D1 talent” they’re putting on those teeny tiny 3A D2 fields.... it’s a joke. Whatever happened to Newton’s last big D1 talent? Elam? I’ll give you a hint. He suited up for 8 games last year and ended up with a tackle total of ONE. One single solitary tackle all year. What about Shorter? If anybody knows, fill me in. It’s like the guy dropped off of the earth. 

Newton’s “D1 talent” doesn’t translate to the next level. Tony Brown? Yup. Deionte Thompson? Sure enough. Calvin Tyler? You know it. Matt Bryant? Bad example. They all played in bigger classifications and were ready for D1 Ball. You can’t get ready for the next level by facing off with Garrison. 

Newton would have made the playoffs and lost in the first round if they’d played in our district. 

On 2/9/2018 at 3:35 PM, CardinalBacker said:

You mean the kids who have offers but haven’t actually played anybody yet. 

Trust me... these kids just like the rest of “D1 Talent” coming from small schools, aka “weak competition” will face their first real tests (and get exposed) when they actually get to college. History keeps proving me right over and over. 

No offense, but Newton hasn’t exactly been tested by the Manvels, Highland Parks, Lake Travis, etc. 

Newton kids are “battle tested” (hahaha!) by the likes of such powerhouses as BC.... EC..... Garrison. 

I appreciate that Newton had a good year for a 3AD2 school. But that’s what it was, and that’s all it will be this year, too. Some semi-decent athletes will look really good against some other teeny tiny teams from places that none of us could locate on a map, and then Newton Fan will turn up taking about what they “coulda” done.  And immediately after that will be Signing Day, aka “The Last Time We Ever Heard From That D1 Kid From Newton Day.”

Stay in your lane, Eagle Fan. I know you guys get the same trophy as the other Championship Teams, but it doesn’t mean you’d stack up on the field. 

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Cardinal Backer,a few of your quotes on this thread,not all. You remind me of a friend I once had about 50 years ago. Anytime i went with him anywhere, it seemed to always have a fight there.It didn't take long to realize he enjoyed stirring the pot. He would run his mouth, then run his mouth more and the next thing i knew, i was in the middle of a fight. The problem was he wasn't around the fight. he just stepped back and enjoyed it, until one night i didn't cover his rear. i know you are a internet warrior and get off saying slanderous things.  If you are like my onetime friend , you have a alligator mouth and a mocking bird rear-end. if not you just don't like Newton and some other schools. JMO

10 hours ago, jimmyw said:

Cardinal Backer,a few of your quotes on this thread,not all. You remind me of a friend I once had about 50 years ago. Anytime i went with him anywhere, it seemed to always have a fight there.It didn't take long to realize he enjoyed stirring the pot. He would run his mouth, then run his mouth more and the next thing i knew, i was in the middle of a fight. The problem was he wasn't around the fight. he just stepped back and enjoyed it, until one night i didn't cover his rear. i know you are a internet warrior and get off saying slanderous things.  If you are like my onetime friend , you have a alligator mouth and a mocking bird rear-end. if not you just don't like Newton and some other schools. JMO

Give me a break... WOS had had YEARS of success just like Newton.  The difference is that, despite playing in the SC game in 4 consecutive years, I don’t recall a single thread in WOS fans were posting about which other, larger champions they would have beaten. Newton keeps claiming that, as state champions and with all of their “talent,” they could compete and or beat numerous other opponents... when Newton’s actual 2017 history indicates nothing of the sort. Newton beat exactly nobody of note above their classification (3A D2), yet they are here proclaiming that they could beat anybody in 3A or 4A.

Better yet, Newton Fan is happy to boast that they would have beaten WOS when by all accounts Newton was scared to even make that matchup when it was offered. To be honest, that sounds more like the description of your alligator-mouthed friend.