Newton Football - 2018 Schedule

Under Par

On 1/6/2018 at 10:48 AM, jimmyw said:

5 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

Once again, WOS tried scheduling Newton for several years and Newton declined. It is only when they think they can win they want the "competitive teams". Not how scheduling works.

I think you are wrong saying that. At least our coach came out and said he didn't want to play West-Orange Starks in 2016 and 2017. I know the first 6 times we played WOS , all game were away games for us. In 2004 a tropical storm took care of that game and in 2005 Hurricane Rita took care of that game. They tried to play it on thursday but Hurricane stopped traffic to Orange. We dodged WOS two years and owned up to it where some other schools dodged the Mustangs and crickets. Maybe we can play WOS later but get you facts straight please. JMO

18 hours ago, Dawgs12345 said:

#3 and #7 are both commited to Sam Houston. Listen we have had plenty of D1 recruits, All Americans, Texas POY. In most cases those players didn't win Carthage championships. IMO Carthage 2 most important players have a combined zero offers. They will probably play JUCO ball. D1 doesn't mean that much to me. Newton has had a buncha D1 athletes. But Carthage has 6 championships. This is a dumb conversation. Anybody that thinks Newton would have even played Carthage close in 2017 is crazy. Y'all will see when you play Gilmer next season. Be about like when y'all got woodshedded by Henderson a couple years ago.

Both very good WR's and players for sure! It is always awesome seeing local talent at the next level. This argument can not be proven either way and is based on opinions only. I'm not from Newton, I just respect their program and thing they could play with the 4A big dogs. 

17 hours ago, jimmyw said:

I think you are wrong saying that. At least our coach came out and said he didn't want to play West-Orange Starks in 2016 and 2017. I know the first 6 times we played WOS , all game were away games for us. In 2004 a tropical storm took care of that game and in 2005 Hurricane Rita took care of that game. They tried to play it on thursday but Hurricane stopped traffic to Orange. We dodged WOS two years and owned up to it where some other schools dodged the Mustangs and crickets. Maybe we can play WOS later but get you facts straight please. JMO

Those are my facts.... and as your own quote indicates, they are straight as they come.

On 2/1/2018 at 2:15 PM, Tigers2010 said:

WOS has the right to shoot down Newton. WOS has tried to get Newton several times over the years. It's no coincidence Newton finally wants a game with them. They wait until they are stacked to want that game. That is not how it works.

My objection to this post is you using the wording ( several times ) instead of one scheduling  cycle which is 2 games which is a couple not several. Also,our record against WOS is 1 win and 7 losses so that wait till we are stacked doesn't hold water.

17 minutes ago, jimmyw said:

My objection to this post is you using the wording ( several times ) instead of one scheduling  cycle which is 2 games which is a couple not several. Also,our record against WOS is 1 win and 7 losses so that wait till we are stacked doesn't hold water.

Talking about games this century, unless the "Team Histories" are wrong, Newton only played them twice. After seeing the getting blown out 48-6, they dodged them for 16&17. It wasn't until winning state this year and realizing they could possibly win, they decided to come back. 

The fact is Newton didn't want any part of WOS after that 48-6 blowout. Now that they think they can win, fans are getting on hear trying to make WOS look they are "running scared". 

45 minutes ago, BruinGrad87 said:

Newton doesn't play against anybody in any sports regular season they think they might lose to. Just getting a taste of their own medicine if they can fill the schedule. 

Asinine! Go back and look. They have not played one team smaller than them in non district since at least 2002. some of the teams that they have played: Tatum, Henderson, WOS, Silsbee, Jasper, Corrigan, CARTHAGE. They usually play on of the toughest schedules around.

It seems as though people are overlooking the fact that most of the schools in the area don't win just a whole lot (that would play this game to start with).  Why would they play Newton or WOS when the coach is just trying to get some wins..or at least play a halfway competitive game that they might be able to learn from.  I can understand why Newton and WOS have trouble filling games every now and then...I also understand why they wouldn't want to play each other every once in a while.  It's a difference of 2 classifications and that normally isn't a very normal thing in HS football/baseball.  When they're both really good (and let's be honest...coaches know when their team is better/worse than normal) then I would think they both wanna play up in class/competition.  When Newton is really good they should want to play up...same thing with WOS.

I don't know..none of this really matters anyway.  How the coach tries to make a schedule has a rhyme and reason in their eyes and that's a decision they're paid to make.

42 minutes ago, The Icon said:

Whoa... get Evangel or John Curtis on the schedule. I understand why teams don’t want to play certain teams, just don’t understand how it’s possible a team can’t fill out a schedule 

I hold out hope that a WO-S/Newton game will happen.  The Mustangs are still looking for a 10th game and their Week 3 slot is available.  However, hopes are dim as even I was not aware of the anger, and let's be clear again, it is by no means fear, it is ANGER, over the way that Newton has conducted business over the last couple of years with West Orange-Stark.   And those who are running their mouths here and in social media, whether it is, as implied by at least one here who did so, at the bidding of some Newton coaches or on their own, are not doing anything to quench that anger.

9 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

On this site "Tentative non district  schedules"  it is show that WO-S has week 1-Nederland    week 2-LCM    week 3 Crosby     week 4 Br.City   .. week 5 Jasper.

Newton has weeks 3 and 4 open . Something does not add up.  Is the week 3 Crosby game wrong?

I think the accurate WO-S predistrict slate is Wk 1 - Nederland, Wk 2 - LC-M, Wk 3 - Open, Wk 4 - Crosby Wk 5 - Bridge City Wk 6 - Jasper

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I hold out hope that a WO-S/Newton game will happen.  The Mustangs are still looking for a 10th game and their Week 3 slot is available.  However, hopes are dim as even I was not aware of the anger, and let's be clear again, it is by no means fear, it is ANGER, over the way that Newton has conducted business over the last couple of years with West Orange-Stark.   And those who are running their mouths here and in social media, whether it is, as implied by at least one here who did so, at the bidding of some Newton coaches or on their own, are not doing anything to quench that anger.

if that's the case, then why not take the ANGER out on a little 3a school:)

Oh boy, this is juicy. For informational purposes here are some scores.

2014 Newton 21 - WOS 9

2015 WOS 48 - Newton 7

WOW 48 to 7. Don't play stupid and act like Newton learned anything from that game except that they were not on the same level. I keep reading that coaches don't want to take loss to avoid tarnishing their record. Do you really think W.T. Is worried about that? These are the only 2 teams in this corner of the state, that have dominated in their divisions year in and year out. W.T. Is still going to get a win. But at some point you have to ask yourself as a coach. Is it worth risking my players health and letting them take a major hit to their pride just to be "competitive". Do you think that if Newton played Burkeville or Deweyville makes either team better? If I'm a coach and I know my team, I understand where I can and can't compete year in and year out. I think if Cornell took a 48-7  loss to someone like Manvel, we might be having this same conversation about him. It's a shame that some of you think it's about the W/L for a man like W.T. who has dominated as a coach be it as a DC or an AD for nearly 30 years and has 2 state championship visits in 4 years with 1 to take home while he has been practically at gods mercy for the whole ride. When 99% of SETX can't even put together a competitive team for 1 year much less 30.

1 hour ago, SETXanalyst said:

2014 Newton 21 - WOS 9

2015 WOS 48 - Newton 7

WOW 48 to 7. Don't play stupid and act like Newton learned anything from that game except that they were not on the same level. I keep reading that coaches don't want to take loss to avoid tarnishing their record. Do you really think W.T. Is worried about that? These are the only 2 teams in this corner of the state, that have dominated in their divisions year in and year out. W.T. Is still going to get a win. But at some point you have to ask yourself as a coach. Is it worth risking my players health and letting them take a major hit to their pride just to be "competitive". Do you think that if Newton played Burkeville or Deweyville makes either team better? If I'm a coach and I know my team, I understand where I can and can't compete year in and year out. I think if Cornell took a 48-7  loss to someone like Manvel, we might be having this same conversation about him. It's a shame that some of you think it's about the W/L for a man like W.T. who has dominated as a coach be it as a DC or an AD for nearly 30 years and has 2 state championship visits in 4 years with 1 to take home while he has been practically at gods mercy for the whole ride. When 99% of SETX can't even put together a competitive team for 1 year much less 30.

19-7

1 hour ago, SETXanalyst said:

2014 Newton 21 - WOS 9

2015 WOS 48 - Newton 7

This is the part that bugs me. WOS needs to suck it up and schedule the game. Who cares about the past....two dominate teams need a game so they need to schedule that game. If you think WT didn't have bigger things to worry about then a L on his record, then you are mistaken.

On 2/5/2018 at 6:12 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Have you ever seen Carthage, for instance? You’re nowhere near as stacked as dozens of 4A schools.  Once again, I don’t want to sound hateful, but I don’t think a single kid on the Newton squad has ever played a snap of D1 ball... much less in the SEC. 

Kids who are projected to be D1 talent from small schools tend to get exposed when they step onto the field at the next level. Every kid with a few shreds of talent looks like a world beater when facing 3A D2 teams. Every few years we hear all about how Newton has a whole new crop of “D1 Talent” and then they are never heard from again. Except for the ones that go to McNeese  

Once again... I wish we had our choice of some of those kids here in BC. I’m not being hateful. You guys just wrecked your division.... 3A D2. I tend to think you guys would attract a whole lot less hate if you stuck your bird chests out and said “we’re the best in 3A D2!!! Do y’all want to see our rings again?” instead of hitting the message boards trying to convince the masses that you’d have rolled through all of 3A and 4A. 

Makes trips to Jerryworld the next three years and we’ll still say you’re inferior to WOS... because you’re doing it against weaker comp. 

There aren’t dozens of 4A schools with the team like Newton will have this year let’s be clear on that. I watch a lot of 4A ball outside of SETX and I can tell you Newton would be ranked top 5 in 4A next season.

8 hours ago, The Icon said:

Whoa... get Evangel or John Curtis on the schedule. I understand why teams don’t want to play certain teams, just don’t understand how it’s possible a team can’t fill out a schedule 

Newton felt like they were going to be good the next couple of years and that it was going to be hard to find games so they started trying to fill this schedule in october. if you don't believe it , check friday night heroes . co and smoaky . com. We aren't stupid about playing some schools and there is no school in SETX that would play John Curtis or Evangel. There are a lot of schools that I would prefer  Newton playing than WOS just because of what has been said on the thread about people running scared of Newton. The problem with some internet warriors is they let their fingers do the talking and have no accountability for it .(.i said some ,not all ) Again I hope we don't play WOS for at least 10 years. just find someone else.JMO

Honestly, I wish that WOS and Netwon go ahead play each other in week 3. Past is past. Move on and let boys play rather limit games. Also, it does not matter or about losing. It will help them both to success and improvement in area before the district and playoff. 

Coaches need realize that. Again, I am not coach.