Newton Football - 2018 Schedule

Under Par

3 hours ago, aTmfan06 said:

There aren’t dozens of 4A schools with the team like Newton will have this year let’s be clear on that. I watch a lot of 4A ball outside of SETX and I can tell you Newton would be ranked top 5 in 4A next season.

Give me a break.... Newton beat Silsbee the week after the flood when most schools were still cancelled and before Silsbee made adjustments that sent them into the playoffs. They also beat a terrible BC team. Other than that, Newton didn’t face a single 4A school. You’re basing your opinion on absolutely zero relevant experiences. 

To suddenly crown them kings of 4A is silly. I don’t care how much “D1 talent” they’re putting on those teeny tiny 3A D2 fields.... it’s a joke. Whatever happened to Newton’s last big D1 talent? Elam? I’ll give you a hint. He suited up for 8 games last year and ended up with a tackle total of ONE. One single solitary tackle all year. What about Shorter? If anybody knows, fill me in. It’s like the guy dropped off of the earth. 

Newton’s “D1 talent” doesn’t translate to the next level. Tony Brown? Yup. Deionte Thompson? Sure enough. Calvin Tyler? You know it. Matt Bryant? Bad example. They all played in bigger classifications and were ready for D1 Ball. You can’t get ready for the next level by facing off with Garrison. 

Newton would have made the playoffs and lost in the first round if they’d played in our district. 

2 hours ago, jimmyw said:

Newton felt like they were going to be good the next couple of years and that it was going to be hard to find games so they started trying to fill this schedule in october. if you don't believe it , check friday night heroes . co and smoaky . com. We aren't stupid about playing some schools and there is no school in SETX that would play John Curtis or Evangel. There are a lot of schools that I would prefer  Newton playing than WOS just because of what has been said on the thread about people running scared of Newton. The problem with some internet warriors is they let their fingers do the talking and have no accountability for it .(.i said some ,not all ) Again I hope we don't play WOS for at least 10 years. just find someone else.JMO

So...you're saying that Newton will have another super good team again in 11 years? And then it will be OK to schedule WO-S again? OK...lol. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Give me a break.... Newton beat Silsbee the week after the flood when most schools were still cancelled and before Silsbee made adjustments that sent them into the playoffs. They also beat a terrible BC team. Other than that, Newton didn’t face a single 4A school. You’re basing your opinion on absolutely zero relevant experiences. 

To suddenly crown them kings of 4A is silly. I don’t care how much “D1 talent” they’re putting on those teeny tiny 3A D2 fields.... it’s a joke. Whatever happened to Newton’s last big D1 talent? Elam? I’ll give you a hint. He suited up for 8 games last year and ended up with a tackle total of ONE. One single solitary tackle all year. What about Shorter? If anybody knows, fill me in. It’s like the guy dropped off of the earth. 

Newton’s “D1 talent” doesn’t translate to the next level. Tony Brown? Yup. Deionte Thompson? Sure enough. Calvin Tyler? You know it. Matt Bryant? Bad example. They all played in bigger classifications and were ready for D1 Ball. You can’t get ready for the next level by facing off with Garrison. 

Newton would have made the playoffs and lost in the first round if they’d played in our district. 

Elam has one of the nations best defensive backs in the nation in front of him and  Shorter had a career ending injury during his senior year. 

1 hour ago, griff said:

So...you're saying that Newton will have another super good team again in 11 years? And then it will be OK to schedule WO-S again? OK...lol. 

I am saying that I could care less if we ever play WOS ever even if we were the IMG of football. Play Orangefield, LCM , Bridge City, Silsbee and Jasper. IDC

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I have seen you post about Newton players not panning out and not having playing time at the next level. After you state that, you then refer to the Elam kid every time? Newton has not sent very many to a power 5 school in the past years. You have Roney Elam, Kevin Shorter and DJ Dean that has went to a power 5 program in the past 10 years. Kevin Shorter had a career ending injury his senior year of high school and never got the chance to play. DJ Dean started two out of his four seasons at the University of Arkansas and started in two bowl games. Roney Elam has not had a lot of playing time, but he still has 2 more season left. What's the big deal? Why only bash him? Why do you say that Newton's talent does not translate to the division 1 level when there has only been 3 players in the past 10 years? haha. 

Now that Newton has 5 players returning with division 1 offers before their senior season even starts and 4 of those players are in the top of the state in rankings, you just hate seeing that and need to state how the big prospect Elam hasn't played much. You talk down on the Elam kid and base that one player to a statement of "Newton's D1 talent doesn't translate to the next level". Well, i am sorry to tell you this, but Newton has more division 1 talent on their team right now than any 4A team out there. Yes, you will be seeing 4 of those players choosing from any conference they want to play in. I know that kills you, but swallow the pill and go root for BC baseball rather than being on here with this foolery. I hear they're going to be pretty darn good. Also, I sure hope Roney get's a lot of playing time these next two season to shut you up. These players that newton has right now, you can bet they will be big time players in college. Your life must suck to be honest. 

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I’m not crowning them Kings of 4A . But to say there are “dozens” of 4A schools with the talent Newton has your wrong. 

I got news for Cbacker, it flooded in Newton last year to. Must have flooded the year before when Newton played Silsbee.  Sounds like a Cardinal fan who has given up on his birds and flew over to Silsbee to be a tiger fan. He obviously does not know that most of the D1 players come from 6A and 5A schools. Silsbee is a quality program and I wish them the best in the upcoming season.

13 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Man I don't understand your negativity towards the Newton kids. Those kids are special and would start at ANY program in SETX at their position. 1A-6A. 

3 hours ago, bradyb said:

Man I don't understand your negativity towards the Newton kids. Those kids are special and would start at ANY program in SETX at their position. 1A-6A. 

ALL of those kids?.. I'm talking starters.  Or are you referring to the kids at Newton with D1 offers?  Because that's easy to compare.  Yes if they have a D1 offer and no other kid at their position does then they would start over them.  But if you're talking about the other kids at Newton that just happen to be starters then we'll definitely have to agree to disagree. 

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

ALL of those kids?.. I'm talking starters.  Or are you referring to the kids at Newton with D1 offers?  Because that's easy to compare.  Yes if they have a D1 offer and no other kid at their position does then they would start over them.  But if you're talking about the other kids at Newton that just happen to be starters then we'll definitely have to agree to disagree. 

NOOOOOO sir lol The kids with the offers lol

2 hours ago, bradyb said:

NOOOOOO sir lol The kids with the offers lol

You mean the kids who have offers but haven’t actually played anybody yet. 

Trust me... these kids just like the rest of “D1 Talent” coming from small schools, aka “weak competition” will face their first real tests (and get exposed) when they actually get to college. History keeps proving me right over and over. 

No offense, but Newton hasn’t exactly been tested by the Manvels, Highland Parks, Lake Travis, etc. 

Newton kids are “battle tested” (hahaha!) by the likes of such powerhouses as BC.... EC..... Garrison. 

I appreciate that Newton had a good year for a 3AD2 school. But that’s what it was, and that’s all it will be this year, too. Some semi-decent athletes will look really good against some other teeny tiny teams from places that none of us could locate on a map, and then Newton Fan will turn up taking about what they “coulda” done.  And immediately after that will be Signing Day, aka “The Last Time We Ever Heard From That D1 Kid From Newton Day.”

Stay in your lane, Eagle Fan. I know you guys get the same trophy as the other Championship Teams, but it doesn’t mean you’d stack up on the field. 

11 minutes ago, DannyShapiroBE said:

FWIW - Grayland Arnold has done well for himself at Baylor and Kountze isn't a big school.

There are many players from small schools across the state that have done well at the DI level. Yes, more so from big schools, but it's not a rarity like what the "hater from BC" states for a player from a 3A or below to do well at a DI school.

11 minutes ago, DannyShapiroBE said:

FWIW - Grayland Arnold has done well for himself at Baylor and Kountze isn't a big school.

There are always exceptions. 

My point is this. IF the Kountze team that featured Arnold had made 4-5 rounds into the playoffs with the same exact roster that they had when Arnold was there, you would have seen 4-5 kids with D1 offers because they had been successful in the playoffs against other teams. Does that mean that there were 4-5 undiscovered talents on Kountze? Who knows? 

Making multiple rounds will absolutely get more looks for your kids. At the end of the day, offers really don’t mean anything. There’s a conversation going on right now about how few kids from Central got offers versus previous years. We’d give credit or blame to the coaching staff for that change. Newton kids are getting plenty of looks and a lot of it has to do with their success they’ve had crushing tomato cans in an inferior division. 

I could care less how they do... but if Newton fan wants to show up and say, “yeah... we could have beaten anybody in 3A or 4A, and the fact that some of our kids have gotten D1 offers is proof...” well... they need corrected. That’s what I’m here for. 

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

There are always exceptions. 

My point is this. IF the Kountze team that featured Arnold had made 4-5 rounds into the playoffs with the same exact roster that they had when Arnold was there, you would have seen 4-5 kids with D1 offers because they had been successful in the playoffs against other teams. Does that mean that there were 4-5 undiscovered talents on Kountze? Who knows? 

Making multiple rounds will absolutely get more looks for your kids. At the end of the day, offers really don’t mean anything. There’s a conversation going on right now about how few kids from Central got offers versus previous years. We’d give credit or blame to the coaching staff for that change. Newton kids are getting plenty of looks and a lot of it has to do with their success they’ve had crushing tomato cans in an inferior division. 

I could care less how they do... but if Newton fan wants to show up and say, “yeah... we could have beaten anybody in 3A or 4A, and the fact that some of our kids have gotten D1 offers is proof...” well... they need corrected. That’s what I’m here for. 

I suppose we'll find out next year when Newton plays Gilmer.