Newton Football - 2018 Schedule

Under Par

1 hour ago, nopantzlance said:

The quality of opponent also will effect the newton fan travel.  If you schedule BC, a newton fan will leave their truck broke down in the front yard all week.  If you have WOS scheduled, they will be hitch hiking to napa all week getting parts together to get the truck running for the trip down 87. 

Napa closed. I stopped at Brookshires for gas last week and there’s a big ol’ Remax sign out front. 

But I get what you’re saying, and I’ll bet you’re right. 

Edited by CardinalBacker

Tamauzia Brown (JR), Darwin Barlow (JR), James Sylvester (SO) and Josh Foster (JR) for Newton all have SEC and Big 12 offers. The Arkansas Razorbacks and Baylor Bears are the only two schools to extend offers to all four players so far. This team is going to be something special this coming season.

So far:

Tamauzia Brown: 12 Offers

Darwin Barlow: 11 Offers

Josh Foster: 7 Offers

James Sylvester: 2 Offers

Edited by Under Par

22 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Newton is a great program and I admire their willingness to play up by 1 or 2 or even 3 classifications...but as great as last seasons team was they would have gotten woodshedded by Carthage. In 2017 Henderson went 11-3 and was a 4AD1 top ten program...but 2 of those 3 losses was to Carthage by a combined score of 77-17. I do think Newton has a shot against Gilmer in week 5 but the Eagles lack of depth may hurt them against the Bux fast paced offense. If that game happened to be on a Sat in Gilmer (or maybe in Lufkin) I would go.

Newton does not lack depth , they have great football numbers every year . It’s not like Newton had D1 guys and no one else .. Newton is loaded like a 4ad1

53 minutes ago, Back2swag said:

Newton does not lack depth , they have great football numbers every year . It’s not like Newton had D1 guys and no one else .. Newton is loaded like a 4ad1

Not quite. Too many kids playing both ways, and although bless with some really talented kids at the top of the roster, the deficiencies down the roster eventually turn up when facing teams with big kids and lots of fresh bodies. 

i guess I’m the only one that can remember all of the way back to two years ago when Newton was getting walked by Orangefield. 

20 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Not quite. Too many kids playing both ways, and although bless with some really talented kids at the top of the roster, the deficiencies down the roster eventually turn up when facing teams with big kids and lots of fresh bodies. 

i guess I’m the only one that can remember all of the way back to two years ago when Newton was getting walked by Orangefield. 

CardinalBacker, you’re right about your comment. But, you’re living in the past. Only two kids play both ways for this Newton team and that is it. Tamauzia Brown and Josh Foster are the only two. Newton will be playing with 6 division 1 kids this coming season in which 4 of them have SEC offers. It’s not like the years you remember when BC and Orangefield beat them. These kids actually get to play in space now, rather than not letting the athletes show their athletic abilities like the past years. I hated that offense with the athletes we have come through. Speaking on this coming season, they’re just as deep and stacked as any 4A school! 

12 minutes ago, Under Par said:

CardinalBacker, you’re right about your comment. But, you’re living in the past. Only two kids play both ways for this Newton team and that is it. Tamauzia Brown and Josh Foster are the only two. Newton will be playing with 6 division 1 kids this coming season in which 4 of them have SEC offers. It’s not like the years you remember when BC and Orangefield beat them. These kids actually get to play in space now, rather than not letting the athletes show their athletic abilities like the past years. I hated that offense with the athletes we have come through. Speaking on this coming season, they’re just as deep and stacked as any 4A school! 

Have you ever seen Carthage, for instance? You’re nowhere near as stacked as dozens of 4A schools.  Once again, I don’t want to sound hateful, but I don’t think a single kid on the Newton squad has ever played a snap of D1 ball... much less in the SEC. 

Kids who are projected to be D1 talent from small schools tend to get exposed when they step onto the field at the next level. Every kid with a few shreds of talent looks like a world beater when facing 3A D2 teams. Every few years we hear all about how Newton has a whole new crop of “D1 Talent” and then they are never heard from again. Except for the ones that go to McNeese  

Once again... I wish we had our choice of some of those kids here in BC. I’m not being hateful. You guys just wrecked your division.... 3A D2. I tend to think you guys would attract a whole lot less hate if you stuck your bird chests out and said “we’re the best in 3A D2!!! Do y’all want to see our rings again?” instead of hitting the message boards trying to convince the masses that you’d have rolled through all of 3A and 4A. 

Makes trips to Jerryworld the next three years and we’ll still say you’re inferior to WOS... because you’re doing it against weaker comp. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Have you ever seen Carthage, for instance? You’re nowhere near as stacked as dozens of 4A schools.  Once again, I don’t want to sound hateful, but I don’t think a single kid on the Newton squad has ever played a snap of D1 ball... much less in the SEC. 

Kids who are projected to be D1 talent from small schools tend to get exposed when they step onto the field at the next level. Every kid with a few shreds of talent looks like a world beater when facing 3A D2 teams. Every few years we hear all about how Newton has a whole new crop of “D1 Talent” and then they are never heard from again. Except for the ones that go to McNeese  

Once again... I wish we had our choice of some of those kids here in BC. I’m not being hateful. You guys just wrecked your division.... 3A D2. I tend to think you guys would attract a whole lot less hate if you stuck your bird chests out and said “we’re the best in 3A D2!!! Do y’all want to see our rings again?” instead of hitting the message boards trying to convince the masses that you’d have rolled through all of 3A and 4A. 

Makes trips to Jerryworld the next three years and we’ll still say you’re inferior to WOS... because you’re doing it against weaker comp. 

Whatever floats your boat, bud. Maybe if some stronger competition would have scheduled Newton, then we would see who is right here. Let’s speak after the Gilmer game. 

47 minutes ago, Under Par said:

Whatever floats your boat, bud. Maybe if some stronger competition would have scheduled Newton, then we would see who is right here. Let’s speak after the Gilmer game. 

Let’s be honest.... every team that you “think” you can hang with has a much tougher road through the playoffs than Newton. 

It only makes your accomplishments look weaker when you start comparing yourself to championship teams that everbody NOT wearing purple knows would KILL lil’ol’ Newton. 

So, much like the Gold Medal winning Special Olympians, celebrate your win. But stop kidding yourselves. 

Look, we get your school spirit and pride and Newton has every right to that. Newton had a tremendous season. Never in Newton's wildest dreams would y'all beat Carthage. Silsbee played both teams, Newton had to have a great defensive second half and a great offensive fourth quarter to beat us. Carthage had us beat in the first quarter. That's just how it is. 

43 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Look, we get your school spirit and pride and Newton has every right to that. Newton had a tremendous season. Never in Newton's wildest dreams would y'all beat Carthage. Silsbee played both teams, Newton had to have a great defensive second half and a great offensive fourth quarter to beat us. Carthage had us beat in the first quarter. That's just how it is. 

And I dare say that Carthage faced a better Silsbee squad than Newton did based on personnel changes, post hurricane bs, etc, etc.....

Newton was far and away the best team in 3A D2.  No question about it.  Could they have won it all in the next class up?  We'll never know.  Here's what we do know...the last time Newton was in that upper classification they didn't make it out of the region.  Is this Newton team better than those other Newton teams?  Maybe.  Probably.  But we'll never know.  And just because a team could beat the state champ in the next classification up doesn't mean they could win the state title in that class.  Anything can happen in 1 game...but the road to the title is completely different for each classification.  It speaks volumes not even having a competitive game until about round 4.  I'm sure every team could perform better at JerryWorld if all of their kids were fresh when they got there.

16 hours ago, Under Par said:

Once again, WOS tried scheduling Newton for several years and Newton declined. It is only when they think they can win they want the "competitive teams". Not how scheduling works.

L Train you must be an expert. The definition of expert is someone who can put their mouth to a mules mouth and.......................Quit comparing apples to oranges, Carthage is three divisions higher than Newton. Let's compare Lumberton with some team 3 div. higher than L-train. How about Lake Travis.

16 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

L Train you must be an expert. The definition of expert is someone who can put their mouth to a mules mouth and.......................Quit comparing apples to oranges, Carthage is three divisions higher than Newton. Let's compare Lumberton with some team 3 div. higher than L-train. How about Lake Travis.

Lake Travis is  probably 4 div higher than Lumberton , lol

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Newton was far and away the best team in 3A D2.  No question about it.  Could they have won it all in the next class up?  We'll never know.  Here's what we do know...the last time Newton was in that upper classification they didn't make it out of the region.  Is this Newton team better than those other Newton teams?  Maybe.  Probably.  But we'll never know.  And just because a team could beat the state champ in the next classification up doesn't mean they could win the state title in that class.  Anything can happen in 1 game...but the road to the title is completely different for each classification.  It speaks volumes not even having a competitive game until about round 4.  I'm sure every team could perform better at JerryWorld if all of their kids were fresh when they got there.

I agree. 

I am content with 3 bye weeks.  I have never seen it before without a hurricane but teams not wanting to play us for whatever reason is enough ammo for me.  Its unfair to the kids who love to play every snap but highschool football becomes less and less about the kids every season so why not.  Colleges still discredit Newton kids in recruiting even in with 15 games of film.  I am thankful for Silsbee and Gilmer, I just hope those games are enough to get kids looks from colleges before the 4th round of the playoffs.  I think something will open up between now and the season; I'm sure it will.  

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

Not sure why you keep attacking every thing I say on every thread but.... go back and read and you will see that I’m not the one who started this “Newton vs Carthage” comparison. I only commented on the current discussion started by other posters with what I have seen myself this year. I even said Newton is a great team, and saying Carthage is better than Newton does not speak negatively of Newton.. 

once again your reply to my statement makes absolutely no sense. 

56 minutes ago, nopantzlance said:

I am content with 3 bye weeks.  I have never seen it before without a hurricane but teams not wanting to play us for whatever reason is enough ammo for me.  Its unfair to the kids who love to play every snap but highschool football becomes less and less about the kids every season so why not.  Colleges still discredit Newton kids in recruiting even in with 15 games of film.  I am thankful for Silsbee and Gilmer, I just hope those games are enough to get kids looks from colleges before the 4th round of the playoffs.  I think something will open up between now and the season; I'm sure it will.  

Blah Blah Blah.......  

On 2/4/2018 at 10:22 PM, bradyb said:

Wait, wasn’t #3 their best WR? He just committed to BLINN. T. Brown from Newton has offers from big time D1 programs. Smh

#3 and #7 are both commited to Sam Houston. Listen we have had plenty of D1 recruits, All Americans, Texas POY. In most cases those players didn't win Carthage championships. IMO Carthage 2 most important players have a combined zero offers. They will probably play JUCO ball. D1 doesn't mean that much to me. Newton has had a buncha D1 athletes. But Carthage has 6 championships. This is a dumb conversation. Anybody that thinks Newton would have even played Carthage close in 2017 is crazy. Y'all will see when you play Gilmer next season. Be about like when y'all got woodshedded by Henderson a couple years ago.