Newton Football - 2018 Schedule

Under Par

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

And not taking anything away from Newton.  Awesome team with speed and talent to spare.  But Carthage was fast too...and big, and deep, etc.  Football is just so much more about numbers than any other sport.  And you're talking about the BEST team in a level 3 classifications higher than Newton was in.  There's no doubt Newton would fight hard and probably be in a dogfight for a little bit.  I just think it would eventually get away from them.  If I were a betting man I'd bet on 4TD+ victory.

I would take Newton plus 28 for sure lol. You can only play with 11 at a time and I think(May be wrong) Newton had 4 D1 Athletes on the field. The RB is great, but I don't think their WR's would be able to hurt Newton's DB's... 

4 minutes ago, bradyb said:

I would take Newton plus 28 for sure lol. You can only play with 11 at a time and I think(May be wrong) Newton had 4 D1 Athletes on the field. The RB is great, but I don't think their WR's would be able to hurt Newton's DB's... 

There's something to be said about using a different 11 players at different times tho.  And it's not necessarily the skill kids that would make the biggest difference.  

5 hours ago, Under Par said:

Guys. I am by no means trying to slander these top tier 4A programs. I have not once said that these teams are scared to play Newton. I have not once said that Newton will beat these programs. All i did was state what went on yesterday morning. All i did was mention that Newton tried to schedule these teams and all of them did not agree to it for their own reasons. These teams are power house programs year in and year out. I respect and root for WOS every single year. All of these sensitive posters are twisting everything up! If you think that i am one of the many dumb Newton posters that are illiterate and just want to stir up the pot, then you're wrong by long shot. I do not think that these top 4A teams are scared to play Newton at all, but i do believe that they're worried that they will lose to a 3A school. If you think i got on here to call out teams, then you are very sensitive. There is no reason for Newton to have a 7 game schedule at this point when you have great programs around the area. They are trying to play teams around here so they don't have to travel 3 to 4 hours for a pre-season game. 

Who’s side our you own , those powder puff comments don’t represent Newton very well . 

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I have just received word that Gilmer and Newton will play Week 5

There goes that "scared to play us" theory.

Look, folks, Newton is a loooong way from Gilmer.  Even halfway is a long way.  There are a LOT of quality teams in Northeast Texas who we would "prefer" to play because of that reason.  It's definitely not like we're in a weak region at all.  There are good teams everywhere up here.

I do like this match up.  I'll have to agree with the one who said Gilmer ain't what they used to be.  They are still a very good team, and a real threat to make a deep run, and IF the stars align just right, may even be a threat to make it to the top again.

Count me as one of those realists that doesn't believe Newton could've stayed very close to last year's Carthage team.  Newton had a really special team last year, but they have classifications for a reason.  Playing Carthage would've essentially been a 3 classification jump for Newton.

Some of you guys need to put down the pipe. Carthage would've scored on every possession against Newton. Newton had an awesome season, but don't go overboard. Carthage is 3 divisions higher than Newton. That would be like Carthage saying they would've beat Manvel or HP. The best quote I have seen is that Carthage WR wouldn't have big days against Newton DB's. Hahaha. The game wouldn't have been within 4 scores unless Surratt wanted it to be.

1 hour ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

we all don't wear rose colored glasses. I know they have divisions for a reason and I am glad they do. Carthage had a mean team last year and no I would not want to play them.

There are plenty of bigger schools around that would match up well with Newton. Not necessarily marquee names, but being a 3A D2 school and playing close games with decent 4A D1 and D2 schools is a great way to get ready to roll through the 3A D2 playoffs. 

You guys get the chance to play teams that have size and depth that you probably won’t see again until late in the playoffs. 

On 2/1/2018 at 3:29 PM, Tigers2010 said:

If Cornel turned him down, it was out of spite. He shouldn't let W.T dictate when they play. Newton was too scared to play WOS when they weren't going to win, and now all of a sudden wants some when he thinks he can win. WOS doesn't need Newton. Newton needs WOS. 

Neither one of these teams need each other. They both stand firm on their own ground. I personally don’t care to see therm playing, due to possible season ending injuries. They are both great programs and represent SETX in their own classification. No need to start unecessary rivalries. IMO

In my humble opinion ( which doesn't mean squat )  I think Coach Johnston made a mistake by not playing WOS.  Coach Barbary played them many times knowing we were going to get 40 hung on us.  I have tremendous respect for Coach Hooks for giving us the opportunity to play them.  He had nothing to gain and a lot to lose by playing a smaller school.  Coach Thompson also has my respect and doesn't owe us a damn thing.  I don't blame him for taking the position he's taken however much I would like to see the game played for the fans.  I'd rather have a scheduling problem than be everybody's homecoming game like we were before Coach Lidney Thompson and Curtis Barbary got here.

Why don't you all leave it to the Newton Coach to whom to play or not to play. All you all know is just mostly speculation. I assure you neither Newton or WO-S are scared to play anyone within their enrollment range. I don't think we will schedule Manvel or Allen or the New Eng. Patriots. Newton already has a traveling problem with New Waverly and Anderson/Shiro added to our district.  From my house north of Burkeville to N. Wav. is 146 miles, And/Shiro is 176 miles. All of you who say you would like to see them play so and so and you probably would not go see them play anyhow, you would probably be watching your own team play.  WO-S does not need to prove anything by playing Newton. WO-S has proven it's self through the years. WO-S is two divisions higher then Newton. They are, and should be, a better team.

Newton is a great program and I admire their willingness to play up by 1 or 2 or even 3 classifications...but as great as last seasons team was they would have gotten woodshedded by Carthage. In 2017 Henderson went 11-3 and was a 4AD1 top ten program...but 2 of those 3 losses was to Carthage by a combined score of 77-17. I do think Newton has a shot against Gilmer in week 5 but the Eagles lack of depth may hurt them against the Bux fast paced offense. If that game happened to be on a Sat in Gilmer (or maybe in Lufkin) I would go.

On 2/1/2018 at 4:37 PM, CardinalBacker said:

If by "money-making" you mean that Newton fans would show up and lay waste to a case and a half of smoked turkey legs.  

Newton doesn't travel worth a flip.  Their fans don't leave Newton County until the playoffs start.  

80% of the town is vehicleless 

8 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

80% of the town is vehicleless 

That’s not true. 

Well, it might be if you’re talking about vehicles that run. 

Seriously, though. Newton came to BC during non-district play and I remember thinking that the team looked really good this year, but once again the stands over there were pretty sparsely populated. I would argue that we had more fans turn out in Navasota late in a losing campaign than Newton brought an hour down the road to Historic Larry B Ward Stadium. 

Call the proposed matchup between Newton and Carthage whatever you want... calling it a potential money-maker isn’t accurate. 

On 2/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, Dawgs12345 said:

Some of you guys need to put down the pipe. Carthage would've scored on every possession against Newton. Newton had an awesome season, but don't go overboard. Carthage is 3 divisions higher than Newton. That would be like Carthage saying they would've beat Manvel or HP. The best quote I have seen is that Carthage WR wouldn't have big days against Newton DB's. Hahaha. The game wouldn't have been within 4 scores unless Surratt wanted it to be.

I’m must not be familiar with Carthage WR’s but do they have offers? I know the RB does but do the WR’s. Forget classifications. Colleges go after talent. 

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

You might look at the population of BC and look at the population of Newton and that might give you a clue to the difference in the amount of people that travel for Newton.

The quality of opponent also will effect the newton fan travel.  If you schedule BC, a newton fan will leave their truck broke down in the front yard all week.  If you have WOS scheduled, they will be hitch hiking to napa all week getting parts together to get the truck running for the trip down 87. 

On 2/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, Dawgs12345 said:

Wait, wasn’t #3 their best WR? He just committed to BLINN. T. Brown from Newton has offers from big time D1 programs. Smh