Tough News for Silsbee Girls

ST413

And I can vouch from first hand experience about some trying to get away with it.  When I was in school years ago I pretty much lost a friend who had told me he was probably failing.  His report only had his grades listed on it not the average.  He didn’t think the coach would figure that he was failing.  When he did he blamed me for alerting the coach and got mad at me. I had never said a word.  And by the way back then it was fail a class no playing for a full 6 weeks. 

5 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There are probably a whole host of people that should've noticed this failing grade and notified whoever needed to know...but I'm thinking there must be more to this than we're being led to believe.  Was the player not given the grading report?  5 games worth is a long time between grades being submitted and the kid/parent/coaches finding out that the kid was failing.

Exactly....some fault can be placed on the student/family but the school district definitely has fault as well.

4 minutes ago, ST413 said:

And I can vouch from first hand experience about some trying to get away with it.  When I was in school years ago I pretty much lost a friend who had told me he was probably failing.  His report only had his grades listed on it not the average.  He didn’t think the coach would figure that he was failing.  When he did he blamed me for alerting the coach and got mad at me. I had never said a word.  And by the way back then it was fail a class no playing for a full 6 weeks. 

I'll bet you that the accountability standards have changed a little bit...I have a friend whose wife is a teacher.  According to her the submitting of grades is only the beginning.  Where she works they have to submit grades, sign and check the grades, contact a parent if a kid is failing, all kinds of stuff involved in the simple process of filling in the grades for the report card.  We were actually talking about this not long ago because of a question with a grandkid's report card.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Before we lay complete blame on the school, what about the student/athlete that actually failed? Shouldn't she know if she failed or not and not risk the team?

You read my mind.  Short read, but nonetheless...  and I’m with WOSgrad.  Poor #1 seed from other district.  

We're talking about passing, not succeeding in, high school classes here. There's either a history of borderline/failing performance in school or a severe lack of effort on the student's behalf. I guarantee you three things: 1) The teacher was aware. 2) The student was aware. 3) The coach did not care enough to involve themselves in the education of these student athletes. 

The blame for academic failure is on the student and teacher. 

The blame for ineligibility ignorance is on the coach. Seriously, how many players are there to check on?

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

Unless she was told of her final grade on Friday, or may even a few days before, do you really expect students to walk around knowing their average in every class. Over a 6 week period, there is not much of a difference between a 72 and a 68. Do you really expect her to know her final grade unless she was told by the teacher already?

A teacher doesn't get her stuff in on time, costing the team 5 wins, and it is the parent of the players fault....

I can promise you mine do because there are benefits or consequences depending on what those grades are.  And I’m not talking about failing either - I can’t imagine teetering on being ineligible as an athlete and not knowing exactly where I stood and what I needed to do to pass.  BUT I do realize that sadly in this day and age, that is probably the exception to the rule.  

But it’s still incomprehensible to me.  Grades are available at the click of a mouse.  In our day, a parent had to call or go to the school if they wanted to find out if we were lying to them about a grade or a class.  Now all the parent has to do is pull out their smartphone....

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I can promise you mine do because there are benefits or consequences depending on what those grades are.  And I’m not talking about failing either - I can’t imagine teetering on being ineligible as an athlete and not knowing exactly where I stood and what I needed to do to pass.  BUT I do realize that sadly in this day and age, that is probably the exception to the rule.  

But it’s still incomprehensible to me.  Grades are available at the click of a mouse.  In our day, a parent had to call or go to the school if they wanted to find out if we were lying to them about a grade or a class.  Now all the parent has to do is pull out their smartphone....

100%

32 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Apparently, the Silsbee girls are getting those victories back.

This is the hidden content, please

Wow....but I had heard ours was erroneous as well.  Almost as embarrassing as the situation was to begin with.  I mean at least both schools self reported when the students were in question but we’ll just but....

13 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Wow....but I had heard ours was erroneous as well.  Almost as embarrassing as the situation was to begin with.  I mean at least both schools self reported when the students were in question but we’ll just but....

I know that some both in Orange and Silsbee will say "All's well that ends well" but I don't really feel that way.  But the fact that Silsbee and West Orange-Stark, 1/3 of the current make up of this district and probably the most high profile schools in that district, have systems that leave that much uncertainty in how their students' grades are reported is a bit unsettling.