Tough News for Silsbee Girls

ST413

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

Will 5 district losses make them miss the playoffs?

Given that they are undefeated at this point, probably not.  They would fall to 3-5 in the standings with the worst case scenario putting them tied in 4th with WO-S.....that being Silsbee drops to 3-5 and has to forfeit both of their wins to the Lady Mustangs which would move WO-S up to 3-5.

Silsbee would still be favored to win their last 2 games which is not the case for WO-S.

4 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Given that they are undefeated at this point, probably not.  They would fall to 3-5 in the standings with the worst case scenario putting them tied in 4th with WO-S.....that being Silsbee drops to 3-5 and has to forfeit both of their wins to the Lady Mustangs which would move WO-S up to 3-5.

Silsbee would still be favored to win their last 2 games which is not the case for WO-S.

The only bad part is instead of going in as the #1 seed and playing the #4 seed from another district, they'll go in as the #4 seed and play the #1 seed.

20 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

The only bad part is instead of going in as the #1 seed and playing the #4 seed from another district, they'll go in as the #4 seed and play the #1 seed.

I understand that, but in reality, the school that would really be hurt would be the #1 seed out of District 21-4A.  Can you imagine that going into last night thinking you will play Bridge City and now you find out that you might be playing Silsbee in bi-district?

4 minutes ago, ST413 said:

From what I have heard it’s sometimes a matter of when those grades are actually submitted.(sometimes they are late)

Grades shouldn't be able to be "submitted" late. What is in the teachers grade book at the deadline should be used. So an entire team has be punished because a teacher submitted her grades late? The administration on campus as well as that individual teacher should be punished for not doing their job, not the players. Why not take a snap shot of the grade book at the deadline rather than let a teacher click the submit button days after the deadline?

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Grades shouldn't be able to be "submitted" late. What is in the teachers grade book at the deadline should be used. So an entire team has be punished because a teacher submitted her grades late? The administration on campus as well as that individual teacher should be punished for not doing their job, not the players. Why not take a snap shot of the grade book at the deadline rather than let a teacher click the submit button days after the deadline?

Oh I agree completely.  The fault is within the school district just not sure which area of the school district. It’s truly sad.

6 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Oh I agree completely.  The fault is within the school district just not sure which area of the school district. It’s truly sad.

Before we lay complete blame on the school, what about the student/athlete that actually failed? Shouldn't she know if she failed or not and not risk the team?

Unless she was told of her final grade on Friday, or may even a few days before, do you really expect students to walk around knowing their average in every class. Over a 6 week period, there is not much of a difference between a 72 and a 68. Do you really expect her to know her final grade unless she was told by the teacher already?

A teacher doesn't get her stuff in on time, costing the team 5 wins, and it is the parent of the players fault....

11 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Before we lay complete blame on the school, what about the student/athlete that actually failed? Shouldn't she know if she failed or not and not risk the team?

Yes and they should have known even if they were close and if I was a team mate I would be pretty mad at them.  However they are kids and unfortunately will try to get away with things even in cases like this.  That’s why the grades are or should be checked within the school.  Naturally that starts with the Coach but then goes down to the submitting of said grade if it is or isn’t there.  I don’t know that exact process so I am not going to say it is on either but it should be checked within the school to protect the team.

8 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Unless she was told of her final grade on Friday, or may even a few days before, do you really expect students to walk around knowing their average in every class. Over a 6 week period, there is not much of a difference between a 72 and a 68. Do you really expect her to know her final grade unless she was told by the teacher already?

A teacher doesn't get her stuff in on time, costing the team 5 wins, and it is the parent of the players fault....

Yes.  And the coach should've known his/her players' grades as well.  Especially if it was the end of the grading period.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yes.  And the coach should've known his/her players' grades as well.  Especially if it was the end of the grading period.

An eligibility report would have been ran shortly after the deadline, we can agree? If not the Coach could have printed it, we agree? IF the teacher had no submitted the grades when the report was ran, the failing grade would not have been there, agree? The Coach checks the list, girl's name is not there, and he moves on. 

If the cutoff was Friday, which I assume they are, Coach probably ran the report Friday, over the weekend, or Monday. That or he was given one. The girls name wouldn't be there because her grade that is failing is not submitted yet.... how is that on him?

9 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

An eligibility report would have been ran shortly after the deadline, we can agree? If not the Coach could have printed it, we agree? IF the teacher had no submitted the grades when the report was ran, the failing grade would not have been there, agree? The Coach checks the list, girl's name is not there, and he moves on. 

If the cutoff was Friday, which I assume they are, Coach probably ran the report Friday, over the weekend, or Monday. That or he was given one. The girls name wouldn't be there because her grade that is failing is not submitted yet.... how is that on him?

There are probably a whole host of people that should've noticed this failing grade and notified whoever needed to know...but I'm thinking there must be more to this than we're being led to believe.  Was the player not given the grading report?  5 games worth is a long time between grades being submitted and the kid/parent/coaches finding out that the kid was failing.