Ozentral

oldschool2

Just out of curiosity...what kind of numbers did Central and Ozen have in their high school football programs?  I was at a buddy's house talking to a guy that coaches at a school that we speculate will be in that 6A district with them.  So just wondering...what kind of numbers might they potentially have?

11 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Just out of curiosity...what kind of numbers did Central and Ozen have in their high school football programs?  I was at a buddy's house talking to a guy that coaches at a school that we speculate will be in that 6A district with them.  So just wondering...what kind of numbers might they potentially have?

I never saw a 9th or JV game last year for those two schools. I did see a couple of varsity games for each. The rosters I received had Central varsity with about 46 players and Ozen around 38.

47 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I never saw a 9th or JV game last year for those two schools. I did see a couple of varsity games for each. The rosters I received had Central varsity with about 46 players and Ozen around 38.

This won't make you feel good. Livingston freshmen stomped both schools. It could be ugly.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Central's varsity had 50.  31 Seniors, 18 Juniors and 1 Sophomore. 

2 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

This won't make you feel good. Livingston freshmen stomped both schools. It could be ugly.

Was it anything like the varsity Jaguars beat the Lions 55-7 or the JV Jaguars beat the Lions 44-6?  :)

3 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Not a real good indicator. Livingston has a good freshman group, but the Beaumont schools are usually not very good at the 9th grade level because the Jr. High coaching is a little suspect.

55 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Central's varsity had 50.  31 Seniors, 18 Juniors and 1 Sophomore. 

Was it anything like the varsity Jaguars beat the Lions 55-7 or the JV Jaguars beat the Lions 44-6?  :)

Freshman won by 2 tds if I recall. My son ran roughshod on y'all.

When he played Ozen JV the next week we called off the dogs.

Livingston will be good again. The upper classes were small.

17 minutes ago, LOUD and Proud said:

Not a real good indicator. Livingston has a good freshman group, but the Beaumont schools are usually not very good at the 9th grade level because the Jr. High coaching is a little suspect.

...and what the coaches run in middle school usually isn't the same as what the high schools run.  Plus kids are being moved around in different positions a lot their freshman year to see where they should play. 

11 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Freshman won by 2 tds if I recall. My son ran roughshod on y'all.

When he played Ozen JV the next week we called off the dogs.

Livingston will be good again. The upper classes were small.

Wish you and your son the best in your new district, just be glad it doesn't include the BISD schools anymore...

12 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Wish you and your son the best in your new district, just be glad it doesn't include the BISD schools anymore...

In football and baseball I was counting on those as wins. In basketball well we all know those are losses. 

I enjoyed coming home even on trips I knew it was going to be a long night. I would go tomorrow if I didn't have deadlines to meet.

Maybe the new school will get some of the kids that aren't playing to tryout. When my brother was at west brook he said the best athletes were walking the halls instead of playing. A good coach and culture can be the start of good things.

For football its a quantum leap in competition to jump to 6A.  Even talent rich Port Arthur struggled in its last few years. I think the basketball team will be competitive quickly.

I wish the the new school nothing but the best.

35 minutes ago, BearEssentials97 said:

In football and baseball I was counting on those as wins. In basketball well we all know those are losses. 

I enjoyed coming home even on trips I knew it was going to be a long night. I would go tomorrow if I didn't have deadlines to meet.

Maybe the new school will get some of the kids that aren't playing to tryout. When my brother was at west brook he said the best athletes were walking the halls instead of playing. A good coach and culture can be the start of good things.

For football its a quantum leap in competition to jump to 6A.  Even talent rich Port Arthur struggled in its last few years. I think the basketball team will be competitive quickly.

One of the truest statements ever.  Not for all but usually they have a problem following orders or instructions or simply lazy and don't want to put in the work that it takes to commit to any sport...

16 hours ago, BearEssentials97 said:

Definitely don't want to turn this into a Livingston thread, but you guys need new leadership to get where this 9th grade group and the good Jr. High groups behind them can take you. The culture of negativity is terrible and it starts at the top.

16 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

One of the truest statements ever.  Not for all but usually they have a problem following orders or instructions or simply lazy and don't want to put in the work that it takes to commit to any sport...

Unfortunately that is so true, the most talented usually lack the individual drive, discipline or determination to get to where their talent could have taken them. For every Devwah Whaley and Tony Brown there are 10 more that could have been just as good, if not better.  

58 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Definitely don't want to turn this into a Livingston thread, but you guys need new leadership to get where this 9th grade group and the good Jr. High groups behind them can take you. The culture of negativity is terrible and it starts at the top.

Unfortunately that is so true, the most talented usually lack the individual drive, discipline or determination to get to where their talent could have taken them. For every Devwah Whaley and Tony Brown there are 10 more that could have been just as good, if not better.  

One can only imagine...

14 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

One can only imagine...

Seems to me that there has always been an abundance of talent, just curious as to why you think the success hasn't followed the talent?

Is it simply a case of not being able to attract the right Head Coach who can recruit the halls, inspire the athletes to be committed, work them hard enough in the off season to be prepared and devise an offensive and defensive plan to take advantage of the athleticism? Or, is it something else completely?

2 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Seems to me that there has always been an abundance of talent, just curious as to why you think the success hasn't followed the talent?

Is it simply a case of not being able to attract the right Head Coach who can recruit the halls, inspire the athletes to be committed, work them hard enough in the off season to be prepared and devise an offensive and defensive plan to take advantage of the athleticism? Or, is it something else completely?

Me personally, I think it's something else.  As a father of 7, 6 that are involved in extracurricular activities, I think this generation is full of quitters created by their parents.  What do I mean by that?  For example, I'll use my oldest child.  Junior in high school currently at Central who plays football and runs track.  He didn't do this but what if when he was playing with the Bulls and they were just getting started with their workouts in July/August in the dead heat of summer, he came home one day from practice and said he quit, he doesn't want to play football anymore?  It's too hot, they are making us run too much or he doesn't like the contact that comes with football.  Or if when he started running the hurdles in 7th grade, he wanted to quit because the hurdles hurt too much if you miss time one and all of the conditioning that goes into track.  If I would have let him quit, he wouldn't have the opportunity to start at WR for the "new noname" high school in 2018.  He wouldn't have made it to Regionals in the 300 M Hurdles as a Sophomore and have paperwork coming in saying that colleges coaches are taking note.   A lot of these parents now a days would go turn in their kids equipment for them and say to the coach that my child doesn't want to play or run anymore.  Not at my house.  We are going to sit down and have a discussion about why he wants to quit.  I would hear him out, listen.  But then I would interject and finish the conversation with "We don't quit anything during the season.  You will finish the season, then we will have this discussion again once the season is over with and see if you feel the same way."  If at that time, he still felt the same way, then I would let him quit.

Quitting is what's wrong with this society, especially in Beaumont.  When these same kids get older, become adults and get a job or married and the going gets tough or they are faced with adversity, they quit the job or wind up getting a divorce.  They don't know how to persevere, adapt and overcome.  Just some of my thoughts...

15 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Me personally, I think it's something else.  As a father of 7, 6 that are involved in extracurricular activities, I think this generation is full of quitters created by their parents.  What do I mean by that?  For example, I'll use my oldest child.  Junior in high school currently at Central who plays football and runs track.  He didn't do this but what if when he was playing with the Bulls and they were just getting started with their workouts in July/August in the dead heat of summer, he came home one day from practice and said he quit, he doesn't want to play football anymore?  It's too hot, they are making us run too much or he doesn't like the contact that comes with football.  Or if when he started running the hurdles in 7th grade, he wanted to quit because the hurdles hurt too much if you miss time one and all of the conditioning that goes into track.  If I would have let him quit, he wouldn't have the opportunity to start at WR for the "new noname" high school in 2018.  He wouldn't have made it to Regionals in the 300 M Hurdles as a Sophomore and have paperwork coming in saying that colleges coaches are taking note.   A lot of these parents now a days would go turn in their kids equipment for them and say to the coach that my child doesn't want to play or run anymore.  Not at my house.  We are going to sit down and have a discussion about why he wants to quit.  I would hear him out, listen.  But then I would interject and finish the conversation with "We don't quit anything during the season.  You will finish the season, then we will have this discussion again once the season is over with and see if you feel the same way."  If at that time, he still felt the same way, then I would let him quit.

Quitting is what's wrong with this society, especially in Beaumont.  When these same kids get older, become adults and get a job or married and the going gets tough or they are faced with adversity, they quit the job or wind up getting a divorce.  They don't know how to persevere, adapt and overcome.  Just some of my thoughts...

AMEN!!! 

I agree with this 100% - this is not just Beaumont - this is Nation wide

30 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

And the people said amen!

BTW, since you seem to have some pull in BISD, please don’t get rid of “oh they want some”.... I think other teams enjoy that as much as y’all do!

23 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

And the people said amen!

BTW, since you seem to have some pull in BISD, please don’t get rid of “oh they want some”.... I think other teams enjoy that as much as y’all do!

No pull by any means, just stay blowing up peoples phones and attending various meetings.  I hope they keep "Oh they want some" and the song that Ozen does, I can't recall the name...