John Payton

Just received word that Coach John Payton has passed away. He was a coach, teacher and mentor to a great many of us. Coach Payton was the role model that many of us hoped to be. Not a day goes by that I don't remember something Coach Payton shared with me. Still throughout my career, long after I left Lamar, Coach Payton would call or text after a big win or a not so great loss just to check on me. A true professional and a great gentleman. He will be sorely missed by many. Prayers and thoughts go out to the Payton family. L.

5 minutes ago, Jaxon'sPOP said:

Just received word that Coach John Payton has passed away. He was a coach, teacher and mentor to a great many of us. Coach Payton was the role model that many of us hoped to be. Not a day goes by that I don't remember something Coach Payton shared with me. Still throughout my career, long after I left Lamar, Coach Payton would call or text after a big win or a not so great loss just to check on me. A true professional and a great gentleman. He will be sorely missed by many. Prayers and thoughts go out to the Payton family. L.

Yes indeed, Coach Payton will be missed.

He was a great coach and special person. He also was one of the best high school basketball officials this area ever had.

The man was a legend. Had him for PE freshman year at Lamar. He was a person that we looked up to on campus.

He was a heck of an athlete at Livingston Dunbar when Livingston was actually winning state championships and is in the school's hall of fame.

He's gonna be missed but not forgotten.