Evadale 97 West Hardin 64/FINAL

WOSgrad

The Evadale Rebels and Lady Rebels look to remain undefeated in 24-2A district play tonight as they host the West Hardin Oilers and Lady Oilers.

First on tap will be the Lady Rebels, who come into tonight's game with a 24-7 season record and a perfect 4-0 district slate.

This will be followed by a battle for 24-2A boys' supremacy, the Rebels, 13-12 on the season and 3-0 in district play take on the Oilers who have a 21-3 mark and also sport a perfect 3-0 district mark.

Join Scott Loar for all of the action from Rebel Gym in Evadale beginning with the tip off of the ladies at approximately 6:00 pm by clicking play on the following player:

This is the hidden content, please

Follow Evadale Rebel and Lady Rebel Basketball on Your Source for Sports in Southeast Texas, SETXsports.com!

7 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The result of this game would have been the same regardless of the non-district schedule.  A tough pre-season schedule making you better is a myth.

I disagree. Say a team like Silsbee went to the Sabine Pass tournament, then the High Island tournament, and play schools like Deweyville and Hull Daisetta in non-district. Do you think they would be just as good when playoffs (Yates) comes around? 

(I understand this is an EXTREME example) 

Say 2 teams play each other first game of district.  Both of similar skill. 

Team A makes a schedule conducive to winning and is 13-2 going into district. Every kid on the bench got lots of good experience and the team was able to work on any and every situation to come. 

Team B makes an excruciating schedule ( to prepare for the playoffs).  They are 2-13 going into district.  The only time the backup players got to play was after the game was too far out of reach to win.  In which time they, too, got their teeth kicked in just like the starters did.

Which team wins that first game in the district against each other?

12 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

I disagree. Say a team like Silsbee went to the Sabine Pass tournament, then the High Island tournament, and play schools like Deweyville and Hull Daisetta in non-district. Do you think they would be just as good when playoffs (Yates) comes around? 

(I understand this is an EXTREME example) 

Long story short...better build some confidence in your kids or they won't believe that you know how to win.

23 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Team A makes a schedule conducive to winning and is 13-2 going into district. Every kid on the bench got lots of good experience and the team was able to work on any and every situation to come. 

Team B makes an excruciating schedule ( to prepare for the playoffs).  They are 2-13 going into district.  The only time the backup players got to play was after the game was too far out of reach to win.  In which time they, too, got their teeth kicked in just like the starters did.

A good coach doesn’t let this part happen. But I also agree a weak team should not play a Silsbee, PAM, or EC every single night.

6 hours ago, About a week ago said:

A good coach doesn’t let this part happen. But I also agree a weak team should not play a Silsbee, PAM, or EC every single night.

A good coach doesn’t allow a team to fall 20 points or so behind late in the game?  Wow..don’t know if you know it but you’re saying that there might not be ANY good coaches in SeTx for sure.

39 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

A good coach doesn’t allow a team to fall 20 points or so behind late in the game?  Wow..don’t know if you know it but you’re saying that there might not be ANY good coaches in SeTx for sure.

No a good coach doesn’t get his bench playing time in non-district games. Coach’s figure out their teams in the non-district time of the year. If each players role is not figured by out by district, then that is bad coaching. That is what I was saying. 

17 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Respectfully disagree. Better teams play a better non-district schedule, facts. As far as bench kids getting good experience, being on varsity doesn't guarantee you playing time. Coaches of teams like that have a solid 8 maybe 9 man rotation. If you're not part of that then chances are you're a 30/30 player. What "good experience" is a kid going to get anyway by getting playing time when they're up by 30+? 

And you can't work on any and every situation with a soft schedule, kids won't know how to play in close games and understand the value of every defensive and offensive possession. All in all, it makes no sense to butter a kid up in pre-season and then throw them to the wolves come district and playoffs, where the level of competition gets tougher every week.

9 hours ago, yepyep said:

Your first sentence is true. Your second sentence is beyond dumb. 

3 years ago Big Sandy had as good a chance at winning a state title as anyone in this same classification that West Hardin and Evadale are currently in.  Big Sandy played pretty much every big school around here that they could including some very good schools in the classifications just above them.  So Big Sandy goes into the State Title game with well over 30 wins including a pretty tough pre-district schedule.

In the title game they play Canadian...who not only didn't have a tough pre-season.  They didn't have a pre-season AT ALL.  Since they won the football state championship they didn't play a single basketball game until district.  And even their first 2 district games had to be rescheduled and pushed back because of football.  I said all that to say this.  Canadian beat Big Sandy pretty handily in the championship game...despite not even stepping foot in a gym until December.  And Big Sandy started basketball practice in August...because they don't have football.  Then scheduled the toughest pre-season schedule they probably could have.  

Tell me again how my "second sentence is beyond dumb."

10 hours ago, About a week ago said:

No a good coach doesn’t get his bench playing time in non-district games. Coach’s figure out their teams in the non-district time of the year. If each players role is not figured by out by district, then that is bad coaching. That is what I was saying. 

Non-district games are specifically for preparation for district games.  The players good enough to be suited out are there because they might be needed at some point...and they better have a little court time.  Grades, injuries, foul trouble...etc.  All kinds of reasons why the kids you're counting on may not be there.  And a good coach will try to win every game they play...so scheduling a tough pre-season is a good way to make sure your "top 6-7" or so players never come off the court.

I really think it comes down to what a coach is trying to do with their team. If a team has a super weak district, but wants to make a deep playoff run, it may be in their favor to challenge themselves early in the year. It does no one any good to go 10-0 with an average win of 40+. Teams can become very complacent when the 4th quarter doesn't have any meaning for 7-10 games straight.

That being said, I think there is a fine line when it comes to scheduling a tough non-district schedule and balancing a team with high quality starters and a short bench. Fatigue and frustration are real. 

39 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

3 years ago Big Sandy had as good a chance at winning a state title as anyone in this same classification that West Hardin and Evadale are currently in.  Big Sandy played pretty much every big school around here that they could including some very good schools in the classifications just above them.  So Big Sandy goes into the State Title game with well over 30 wins including a pretty tough pre-district schedule.

In the title game they play Canadian...who not only didn't have a tough pre-season.  They didn't have a pre-season AT ALL.  Since they won the football state championship they didn't play a single basketball game until district.  And even their first 2 district games had to be rescheduled and pushed back because of football.  I said all that to say this.  Canadian beat Big Sandy pretty handily in the championship game...despite not even stepping foot in a gym until December.  And Big Sandy started basketball practice in August...because they don't have football.  Then scheduled the toughest pre-season schedule they probably could have.  

Tell me again how my "second sentence is beyond dumb."

68-60 is 'pretty handily'? I was at the game, Big Sandy did not shoot the ball well in San Antonio. That year and in '16. Nearly every team that plays in San Antonio struggles to shoot the three ball. So this example does not help your case. Also Canadian winning back-to-back state championships wasn't a fluke. Also their coach won three straight. Water Valley '14, Canadian '15-'16. 

37 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

68-60 is 'pretty handily'? I was at the game, Big Sandy did not shoot the ball well in San Antonio. That year and in '16. Nearly every team that plays in San Antonio struggles to shoot the three ball. So this example does not help your case. Also Canadian winning back-to-back state championships wasn't a fluke. Also their coach won three straight. Water Valley '14, Canadian '15-'16. 

I don't mean handily as in the final score.. I mean handily as in they were pretty much in control the whole game.  But they didn't have a tough pre-season schedule so how can that be?  Honestly, your response doesn't matter...I doubt my opinion on the matter changes.  If you think there aren't many, many more examples that I could come up with then you're wrong.  College football is a fantastic example.  If the strength of schedule was ALL that mattered as far as preparation for league play then every school in the country would stay away from FCS or D2 schools.  But they don't.  Alabama had the weakest strength of schedule of any of the 4 playoff teams...did that matter?  Prior to the championship they played only 1 top 10 team all year...and lost.

And it's my personal opinion that Silsbee would've won it all last yr regardless.  Here's why:  They played almost 2 months of district play beating every single team embarrassingly leading into the playoffs.  Then embarrassed schools for several rounds before seeing any competition.  They were no longer conditioned to play a competitive game by the time they got to state.

Yes, I think that if a coach knows their team will be good then they need to schedule better teams.  Not for preparation though..they need to see where they stand and to also avoid blowing out a school, every single game if possible.  If a coach knows their team will struggle they better schedule some wins early on..otherwise they will completely lose their kids. 

Hamshire Fannett is a good school to use here.  Because they are awful apparently.  Would they be better off right now had they played a tougher pre-season schedule?

16 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Hamshire Fannett is a good school to use here.  Because they are awful apparently.  Would they be better off right now had they played a tougher pre-season schedule?

It's not a real good example if you are just using a school that is down right now. I feel that what is being discussed here is how to take a good or very good contender and make them a Championship caliber team. 

I do agree with some of what you say. However, when you live out in the rural corners of East Texas, scheduling a more difficult non-district schedule will prepare you for when you have to face those more urban area teams that have to fight night in and night out. 

11 minutes ago, 2HandSlam said:

It's not a real good example if you are just using a school that is down right now. I feel that what is being discussed here is how to take a good or very good contender and make them a Championship caliber team. 

I do agree with some of what you say. However, when you live out in the rural corners of East Texas, scheduling a more difficult non-district schedule will prepare you for when you have to face those more urban area teams that have to fight night in and night out. 

Let's agree to disagree.  Because I don't think it matters that much.  And every school fluctuates between down and up...Big Sandy didn't play the same schedule that they did the year they played for the title.

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Let's agree to disagree.  

I can respect that.

But I would venture to guess that a battle-tested team; one that is challenged most game nights with having to make adjustments and having to work outside of their comfort zones will stand a better chance in big/meaningful games more often than those who coast through an easy district/non-district schedule.

And as far as Big Sandy goes, I'd say, the coach and the system in place is why they are successful. I don't know a lot about Silsbee but I assume it's similar there. 

There is always going to be exceptions...

15 minutes ago, 2HandSlam said:

I can respect that.

But I would venture to guess that a battle-tested team; one that is challenged most game nights with having to make adjustments and having to work outside of their comfort zones will stand a better chance in big/meaningful games more often than those who coast through an easy district/non-district schedule.

And as far as Big Sandy goes, I'd say, the coach and the system in place is why they are successful. I don't know a lot about Silsbee but I assume it's similar there. 

There is always going to be exceptions...

Silsbee just has unreal talent for a school that size if we are being honest .