Willie Ray Smith Award Finalists

AggiesAreWe

28 minutes ago, EaglesFootball said:

Yeah well Newton won the state title this year and Johnson wasn’t on the team. Yes Barlow would of made PNG a lot better, ask your coach if he would like to have Barlow on the PNG roster he would take him in a heart beat.

Well my coach is retired and from Virginia so I don’t think he could weigh in on this matter. I have no connections to PNG. If you think Barlow is a better QB than RJ you are just being a homer. Never said PNG wouldn’t be better with Barlow. I said they would would not be better with him than they were with RJ. Barlow would play on the PNG team no doubt, but not QB. So, in my opinion, I would give the award to RJ. When comparing the two, who would you put at QB if they were on the same team? 

5 minutes ago, Volleyball said:

Well my coach is retired and from Virginia so I don’t think he could weigh in on this matter. I have no connections to PNG. If you think Barlow is a better QB than RJ you are just being a homer. Never said PNG wouldn’t be better with Barlow. I said they would would not be better with him than they were with RJ. Barlow would play on the PNG team no doubt, but not QB. So, in my opinion, I would give the award to RJ. When comparing the two, who would you put at QB if they were on the same team? 

Barlow is NOT a qb..   Apples to Oranges...

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

7 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

True. So, I look at it how I said it before. You put RJ on Newton and take Barlow off, I say they still win state. Take RJ off PNG and put Barlow on they don’t get out of the first round. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I was mainly stating you winning state shouldn’t guarantee the award over someone that had a year with video game numbers.

9 minutes ago, Volleyball said:

True. So, I look at it how I said it before. You put RJ on Newton and take Barlow off, I say they still win state. Take RJ off PNG and put Barlow on they don’t get out of the first round. 

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I was mainly stating you winning state shouldn’t guarantee the award over someone that had a year with video game numbers.

Agreed...

1 hour ago, AshlyVYPE said:

Noticing that’s three votes for Elia, wonder who didn’t vote for him?!?!?

Now that's stupid. Should be right there with shug in consideration.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Pretty sure it was a tough choice, and I like the Foster kid, but the Brown kid from Newton, I hear caught 11 interceptions this year.  That's an tough feat. Maybe he should've been nominated...

Heard that newton didn't want to split votes with 2 Def nominationa but idk

1 hour ago, EaglesFootball said:

Yeah well Newton won the state title this year and Johnson wasn’t on the team. Yes Barlow would of made PNG a lot better, ask your coach if he would like to have Barlow on the PNG roster he would take him in a heart beat.

The point was if you put Johnson on either Newton or WOS then both would be state champs... if you put Barlow on PNG then they make it no further than what PNG made it this year. So, with that said, overall Team accomplishment can’t be a deciding factor in an individual award.

Newton did not need Johnson at QB, Josh Foster can flat out run and pass, He did not need to run most of the time but when he did he was very athletic, Brown has been named All American, Barlow rushed for way over 2000 yards. Johnson was the most valuable player because PN-G would not have won district without him. Corbin Foster was all state last  year and his performance on defense was outstanding. Tough choice for WT to have to select one. Corbin and Brown already had awards.     

By the way Brown, Josh, and Barlow are juniors.                  

6 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

who on a 5 and 5 team do you think should be on the list?

I didn't have anyone in mind, that's why "could" was in the sentence.  You and I agree Roschon should win it for offense.  But had he played for Livingston, they may not have made 5-5 (and he may not have made it through the season), although I'm sure their record would have been better.  Point is, when you have a good Team, such as Newton & WOS, it elevates everyone's performance.  The MLB for Newton only had to concentrate on his job because he knew his mates had their jobs covered.  The MLB at Livingston could be super, but he's having to worry about stopping runners his mates can't stop.  Even if you don't agree, I hope you understand my point.