Golden Triangle Running scared from Newton

Back2swag

29 minutes ago, Back2swag said:

Newton struggles to find predistrict mostly because the Golden Trinangle teams 4a and up . Scared to take a loss from little ole Newton . Shameful! 

then why not travel outside the area/region ? it seems more programs are doing this regularly and if you are that good than go find competition that will risk taking a loss or maybe even make newton better? does it appear newton will remain a statewide 3a threat for years going forward or is there a rebuild season somewhere in the near future?

While most of us recognize the value of choosing to play a good program like Newton in the buildup to district play, not everybody feels that way. 

If you are a coach with big aspirations of moving on in your coaching career, it’s hard to do much with a bad winning percentage. Locking yourself into 2-3 guaranteed Ls each year isn’t a good way to get a better paying gig. 

Plus, a big school playing Newton is kinda like picking a fight in a gay bar. You can’t brag if you win, but you’d better not lose. 

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

While most of us recognize the value of choosing to play a good program like Newton in the buildup to district play, not everybody feels that way. 

If you are a coach with big aspirations of moving on in your coaching career, it’s hard to do much with a bad winning percentage. Locking yourself into 2-3 guaranteed Ls each year isn’t a good way to get a better paying gig. 

Plus, a big school playing Newton is kinda like picking a fight in a gay bar. You can’t brag if you win, but you’d better not lose. 

The best post I've read on the Setxsports in a while :)

1 hour ago, DannyShapiroBE said:

I'll take the bait..and I don't mind the clicks.

This is the hidden content, please

I had searched and got it, but thank you for your assistance.

For this post I am going to skate carefully as, although we have never met personally, I know that Coach Johnston is a man of high character and deserves each and every kind word that has been uttered about him both before and after Newton's most recent championship.  Anytime that I have asked for help, he has been more than willing to accommodate no matter how short the timetable.  Likewise, some of his key assistants, such as Greg Neece and Steve Fentress, have been equally helpful at their head coaching stops before they joined the Newton staff. I also know that Coach Thompson and Coach Johnston are good friends and I know that Cornel Thompson holds immense respect for W.T. Johnston.

That being said, the article that Danny pulled up illustrates the problem that WO-S has had FOR YEARS with regard to scheduling non-district opponents.  This has not been a new issue as Mustang fans have known that this problem has existed even back in the days that Dan Hooks was head coach.  It has sometimes resulted in the Mustangs taking games with teams that should have never taken the field against them (Houston KIPP Northeast). So here is Newton who have admittedly, declined to play WO-S just one previous alignment cycle before, whose fans now want to point and say "everybody" is running from us.  Specifically, with WO-S, what are the Mustangs supposed to do?  Come running back to take a game with a school that rebuffed them just two years ago admittedly because they didn't want to take a loss?  The Mustangs have enough of a difficult time getting a schedule together without having an opponent seeing which way the wind blows to determine whether they will be able to fill one of the Mustangs' needed slots.

Yes, I wish a WO-S/Newton game would go off.

I hope that Coach Johnston is able to fill his schedule, we know more than anybody how stressful an unfilled schedule is on a coaching staff.  I also know, back2swag, that your pitiful attempt to "shame" schools into playing is ineffective, especially on the heels of what was admitted in the above article.

All the same, when I am not in Mustang blue I will be in Eagle purple as I look forward to Newton taking the baton and accomplishing their own repeat.

Going outside your area poses a problem with JV and Jr. High players playing on Thursday night and getting back home late and having school the next day. The UIL added Frankston to our district and the JV and Jr. High teams did not play because of the long travel on Thursday night.  Frankston is between Jacksonville and Athens. 

Now you guys feel our pain when Stump was dominating around here and Nederland didn't want to renew their series with us,  PNG,  Vidor,  LCM and many others around SETX didn't want to pick up the phone so we had to find stronger schools across the state which in the end worked out for us come playoff time. 

12 minutes ago, wbfan said:

Now you guys feel our pain when Stump was dominating around here and Nederland didn't want to renew their series with us,  PNG,  Vidor,  LCM and many others around SETX didn't want to pick up the phone so we had to find stronger schools across the state which in the end worked out for us come playoff time. 

Owwwchie!

30 minutes ago, wbfan said:

Does playing Nederland, Central, Ozen or any of the 5A with the exception of PA Memorial maybe really benefit West Brook?  Not in my opinion.  With the exception of PA Memorial, I hope AD Jackson only schedules 6A schools similar in size for the Ozen-Central mergers non-districts games.

12 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

No need for any more comments.  This one ^ wins.

1 hour ago, Jag Insider said:

Does playing Nederland, Central, Ozen or any of the 5A with the exception of PA Memorial maybe really benefit West Brook?  Not in my opinion.  With the exception of PA Memorial, I hope AD Jackson only schedules 6A schools similar in size for the Ozen-Central mergers non-districts games.

I see where you are coming from on this issue, but the merged school will have growing pains and needs to be treated like a brand new school just opening it's doors. Scheduling 5A schools, especially ones that the kids have some familiarity with (i.e. Vidor, PNG, Nederland) would not be a terrible thing the first two years. But, the level of competition from a Channelview or a Baytown Sterling is really not going to be that much greater.