California Schemin!

Reagan

I was hoping this was an article from the Onion, but I think it’s real life.  I wouldn’t want to be a waiter in California and risk going to jail over a straw.

Calderon, the Democratic majority leader in California's lower house, has introduced a 

This is the hidden content, please
 to stop sit-down restaurants from offering customers straws with their beverages unless they specifically request one. Under Calderon's law, a waiter who serves a drink with an unrequested straw in it would face up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

"We need to create awareness around the issue of one-time use plastic straws and its detrimental effects on our landfills, waterways, and oceans," Calderon 

in a press release.

23 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

I was hoping this was an article from the Onion, but I think it’s real life.  I wouldn’t want to be a waiter in California and risk going to jail over a straw.

Calderon, the Democratic majority leader in California's lower house, has introduced a 

to stop sit-down restaurants from offering customers straws with their beverages unless they specifically request one. Under Calderon's law, a waiter who serves a drink with an unrequested straw in it would face up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

"We need to create awareness around the issue of one-time use plastic straws and its detrimental effects on our landfills, waterways, and oceans," Calderon 

in a press release.

Can ANYONE reasonably doubt that, again, liberalism is a mental disease?!  We aren't short of examples for sure!  SMH!

6 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

in a press release.

lol...good grief 

• 2 weeks later...

This is direct violation of Federal Law and the Interstate Commerce Clause.

Quote:

California will block the transportation through its state of petroleum from new offshore oil rigs, officials told Reuters on Wednesday, a move meant to hobble the Trump administration's effort to vastly expand drilling in U.S. federal waters...

"I am resolved that not a single drop from Trump's new oil plan ever makes landfall in California," Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, chair of the State Lands Commission and a Democratic candidate for governor, said in an emailed statement.

13 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

This is direct violation of Federal Law ab the Interstate Commerce Clause.

Quote:

California will block the transportation through its state of petroleum from new offshore oil rigs, officials told Reuters on Wednesday, a move meant to hobble the Trump administration's effort to vastly expand drilling in U.S. federal waters...

"I am resolved that not a single drop from Trump's new oil plan ever makes landfall in California," Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom, chair of the State Lands Commission and a Democratic candidate for governor, said in an emailed statement.

Hey dumbarse, keep paying the highest prices in the nation for gas then. California has to be made up of dome of the biggest idiots around.

• 5 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 2:33 PM, PhatMack19 said:

in a press release.

21 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Let’s take a moment and see how absurd this is.  California is the leading producer of bottled water.  Approx two thirds of all US bottled water comes from California (which, because of the water, might explain the liberal mental illness spreading around the country lol).  Now remember, this is a state plagued with drought.  Americans consume 2.2 Million bottles daily.  For any liberals that may not be good at math, that means 2.2 empty plastic water bottles - daily.  And they’re all ready to go death penalty on a waiter or waitress that delivers a plastic straw?  Heaven help me.  Fence that state off and use it for an asylum.

24gpqmu.jpg

THE WAR ON STRAWS IN NOT BASED ON FACTS

After Seattle imposed the country’s first ban on plastic straws earlier this month, Starbucks announced it would eliminate straws franchise-wide, replacing them with a new “sippy cup” style lid that doesn’t utilize a straw. The move has earned praise from environmental activists, who are calling for more companies to follow suit.

But here’s the thing. The new lids actually use more plastic than the old lid and straw combination. The old lid and straw contained 3.55 grams of plastic. The new lid contains 4.11 grams of plastic.

It seems the law of unintended consequences has struck again.

What’s more, all the celebrity activism and political legislation ignores one basic fact. Straws are not the problem. They were targeted after a 2015 video of a straw lodged in a sea turtle’s nose went viral and brought attention to the problem of plastic pollution in the oceans. But the focus on straws is completely misguided. Straws account for just 2,000 tons of the nine MILLION tons of plastic that are estimated to enter the ocean each year, which can break down into micro-plastics and leech into the stomachs and flesh of sea creatures.

In other words, anti-straw activists are focusing their efforts on just 0.02% of the plastic pollution problem.

And it’s not even U.S. waste that’s causing the majority of the problem. The United States, which has one of the best waste management industries in the world, is responsible for just 1% of plastic waste entering the oceans. Instead, the real culprit behind the plastic that’s poisoning ocean wildlife is uncollected litter and ocean dumping by poorer coastal countries that lack developed waste management systems. 

But facts won’t stop virtue signaling activists from calling for a ban on yet another item in their never ending quest to show how environmentally conscious they are - while ignoring 99.98% of the actual problem.

SOURCES:

It really is a mental disorder 

Quote:
This July, the city's minimum wage climbed to $15, up from $14, the result of a four-year series of hikes imposed by San Francisco voters in 2014. The minimum wage will now be indexed to the Consumer Price Index.

Not surprisingly, the rapid increase in wages has hurt the city's businesses, particularly its restaurants. As the San Francisco Chronicle pointed out recently, "Despite the anticipation for what has finally arrived, many (restaurateurs) continue to struggle with finding a balance, because tactics such as adjusting service models, cutting staff and raising prices can only go so far." 

The paper quotes one restaurant owner saying "you can only charge so much for a burger ... before people are leaving to go find a better value. It's the same challenge we've been facing for a while."

Which is why many restaurants have shut their doors. Yelp found far more closing than opening in San Francisco over the second half of last year after the minimum climbed to $14 an hour.

So, what is San Francisco doing in response to help the city's struggling restaurant business? Two members of its board of supervisors introduced legislation that would try to force workers to eat out for lunch

How? By banning any more companies from offering free lunches to workers
(existing free lunch providers like Google, Twitter, et al., would be exempt) 
and outlawing in-house cafeterias in new office buildings.

Tech firms offer these perks because they improve productivity by keeping employees on campus. So, taking this option away will impose hidden costs.

34 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

It really is a mental disorder 

Quote:
This July, the city's minimum wage climbed to $15, up from $14, the result of a four-year series of hikes imposed by San Francisco voters in 2014. The minimum wage will now be indexed to the Consumer Price Index.

Not surprisingly, the rapid increase in wages has hurt the city's businesses, particularly its restaurants. As the San Francisco Chronicle pointed out recently, "Despite the anticipation for what has finally arrived, many (restaurateurs) continue to struggle with finding a balance, because tactics such as adjusting service models, cutting staff and raising prices can only go so far." 

The paper quotes one restaurant owner saying "you can only charge so much for a burger ... before people are leaving to go find a better value. It's the same challenge we've been facing for a while."

Which is why many restaurants have shut their doors. Yelp found far more closing than opening in San Francisco over the second half of last year after the minimum climbed to $14 an hour.

So, what is San Francisco doing in response to help the city's struggling restaurant business? Two members of its board of supervisors introduced legislation that would try to force workers to eat out for lunch

How? By banning any more companies from offering free lunches to workers
(existing free lunch providers like Google, Twitter, et al., would be exempt) 
and outlawing in-house cafeterias in new office buildings.

Tech firms offer these perks because they improve productivity by keeping employees on campus. So, taking this option away will impose hidden costs.

So you enact legislation to give minimum wage workers more money.  Many are now losing their jobs.  Now you want to enact legislation to prevent private companies from having in-house cafeterias (is that even legal?), to force workers into the overpriced restaurants?  So one snafu, followed by another snafu, followed by.............  Ad infinitum.  Pretty close to the definition of insanity.  

Since I consider most of y’all my good friends, I wanted to pass along a money making idea.  My wife & I bought a box of plastic straws.  Twenty years from now, they’ll be collectibles.  My grandkids will be multimillionaires. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Look for California to lose even more businesses by requiring them to have women on their board of directors.  My question is who does California think they are to assume a persons gender?  Maybe all of the guys running these companies feel like women today   

California is moving toward becoming the first state to require companies to have women on their boards assuming the idea could survive a likely court challenge.

Sparked by debates around fair pay, sexual harassment and workplace culture, two female state senators are spearheading a bill to promote greater gender representation in corporate decision-making. Of the 445 publicly traded companies in California, a quarter of them lack a single woman in their boardrooms.

, which won Senate approval with only Democratic votes and has until the end of August to clear the Assembly, would require publicly held companies headquartered in California to have at least one woman on their boards of directors by end of next year. By 2021, companies with boards of five directors must have at least two women, and companies with six-member boards must have at least three women. Firms failing to comply would face a fine.

"Gender diversity brings a variety of perspectives to the table that can help foster new and innovative ideas," said Democratic Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson of Santa Barbara, who is sponsoring the bill with Senate President Pro Tem Toni Atkins of San Diego."It's not only the right thing to do, it's good for a company's bottom line."