Beaumont Ozen 49 Nederland 35/FINAL

1 hour ago, BIG SHOW said:

That win was early and I think a full strength Ozen team gets handled pretty easy by West Brook now. Ozen also has everyone back but 1 correct? 

When was the last time you seen a mid county team able to press Ozen and have success? Nederland started pressing them late and was causing some turnovers. Ozen's guard play is the weakest it's probably ever been IMO.  Next time Nederland plays Ozen I hope they press them the entire game.  This would hopefully also get Nederland some easy baskets, it was hard for Nederland to score in the zone of Ozen. 

Were you at the same game,they only had 8 turnovers for the game . Nederland got back into the game because of 10 missed free throws down the stretch. If this is the weakest Ozen team ,guard play Etc etc how does Nederland lose by double digits then. Ozen have one starter playing from last year ,4 new players starting on varsity for the time I think they are doing pretty well. Sweep your own porch before you try and seeep someone else’s :)

9 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Were you at the same game,they only had 8 turnovers for the game . Nederland got back into the game because of 10 missed free throws down the stretch. If this is the weakest Ozen team ,guard play Etc etc how does Nederland lose by double digits then. Ozen have one starter playing from last year ,4 new players starting on varsity for the time I think they are doing pretty well. Sweep your own porch before you try and seeep someone else’s :)

Yes I was and most of those turnovers were caused during the Nederland press and yes Ozen missed a lot of free throws. It's no secret that Nederland and Ozen are both down this year. The point was made to what i said earlier in my post that there is a Big 2 this year not a Big 3. It's not a knock on any of the players, it's just a case on how strong Ozen normally is in years past and this Ozen team is far from that. The same can be said for Nederland as well. Ozen looks young to me, so they will probably be back to Ozen form in a year or 2 if they don't combine them with Central. 

After watching Ozen lose to Silsbee and then lose their first two games at the James Gamble tourney, one of which was to Scarborough, my opinion and others there with me thought this was one of the weaker Ozen teams in recent memory. Panthers were having issues putting the ball in the hoop. But something changed during the Gamble tourney. Their next two games was a close loss to a very good 6A Dickinson and a good win over a good 6A Channelview. Couple that with two solid district wins over PN-G and Nederland and it looks a though Ozen has come out of their fog and is playing much better basketball of late. I knew their defense would be ok but now it looks as though they are getting enough offense to win games.

I made a comment at the press table at the Gamble that this version of Ozen basketball may be the first to miss the playoffs. I still was picking them to make playoffs but things needed to get better. Looks as though they have.

25 minutes ago, BIG SHOW said:

Yes I was and most of those turnovers were caused during the Nederland press and yes Ozen missed a lot of free throws. It's no secret that Nederland and Ozen are both down this year. The point was made to what i said earlier in my post that there is a Big 2 this year not a Big 3. It's not a knock on any of the players, it's just a case on how strong Ozen normally is in years past and this Ozen team is far from that. The same can be said for Nederland as well. Ozen looks young to me, so they will probably be back to Ozen form in a year or 2 if they don't combine them with Central. 

It's still a big 3 because the big 3 will not lose to anyone else in district but themselves.  They're the big 3 in the district.

10 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

After watching Ozen lose to Silsbee and then lose their first two games at the James Gamble tourney, one of which was to Scarborough, my opinion and others there with me thought this was one of the weaker Ozen teams in recent memory. Panthers were having issues putting the ball in the hoop. But something changed during the Gamble tourney. Their next two games was a close loss to a very good 6A Dickinson and a good win over a good 6A Channelview. Couple that with two solid district wins over PN-G and Nederland and it looks a though Ozen has come out of their fog and is playing much better basketball of late. I knew their defense would be ok but now it looks as though they are getting enough offense to win games.

I made a comment at the press table at the Gamble that this version of Ozen basketball may be the first to miss the playoffs. I still was picking them to make playoffs but things needed to get better. Looks as though they have.

Now that was a ridiculous statement.  Ozen not in the playoffs is like water not being wet.  They've never missed the playoffs, and who in the district, even looking at it before the basketball season began, would finish above them?  4 teams to make the playoffs.  Worse case scenario, they finish 4th.  

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Now that was a ridiculous statement.  Ozen not in the playoffs is like water not being wet.  They've never missed the playoffs, and who in the district, even looking at it before the basketball season began, would finish above them?  4 teams to make the playoffs.  Worse case scenario, they finish 4th.  

Uh, Memorial and Central.

Like I said, I picked Ozen to make playoffs, finishing 3rd, before season started. Watching them play a few games, particularly those two games at Gamble, led me to make that statement that this MAY be the first Ozen team to miss playoffs if they continued to play like they were.

IMO, this version of Ozen, particularly after loosing Jones for the season, is the only Ozen team that one could relatively make that comment. No other team in their history you could say that about.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Yes you are very correct Aggie as we were watching them play things were very bad from the standpoint we have never seen it like this but as you said things have changed Coach Thomas and his staff have done a great job of making adjustments. Sometimes you have to weed out negative energy and it took a minute but i believe they are on the right track. The kids there have bought in now and are playing hard ,I keep saying every year Ozen has talent might now be the big sexy names of others but they are there. Keep grinding  Panthers ...

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Like I said, I picked Ozen to make playoffs, finishing 3rd, before season started. Watching them play a few games, particularly those two games at Gamble, led me to make that statement that this MAY be the first Ozen team to miss playoffs if they continued to play like they were.

IMO, this version of Ozen, particularly after loosing Jones for the season, is the only Ozen team that one could relatively make that comment. No other team in their history you could say that about.

I'm talking about anyone besides the big 3.  I thought I did a good job of implying that.  I'll use layman's terms from now on...

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That was still a dumb statement, no matter how you slice it.  Ozen basketball and playoffs are synonymous...

While Ozen has seemed to right the ship.  There was plenty, as both AAW and BlkMamba noted, concern.  Ozen played some tough opponents, but what year hasn't that happened?

But prior to their current 3 game win streak, Ozen was 7-8.  That's right, they were not even playing .500 ball 15 games into the season.  I DON'T EVER RECALL THAT HAPPENING AT OZEN!  Can any of you?

I'll admit that they appear to have beaten the wolf back from the door, but concern over their play in the very recent past was anything but dumb.

9 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

While Ozen has seemed to right the ship.  There was plenty, as both AAW and BlkMamba noted, concern.  Ozen played some tough opponents, but what year hasn't that happened?

But prior to their current 3 game win streak, Ozen was 7-8.  That's right, they were not even playing .500 ball 15 games into the season.  I DON'T EVER RECALL THAT HAPPENING AT OZEN!  Can any of you?

I'll admit that they appear to have beaten the wolf back from the door, but concern over their play in the very recent past was anything but dumb.

My point, in this district, Ozen won't miss the playoffs.  Even with Jones out, Ozen makes the playoffs every time.

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

My point, in this district, Ozen won't miss the playoffs.  Even with Jones out, Ozen makes the playoffs every time.

And I understand and do agree with that  There are not four teams in 22-5A better than Ozen.  However, their play was certainly cause for concern.  They would be at this point, far below Memorial or Central and much more susceptible to a district upset or two than any Ozen team in my memory.  Their win over Nederland this week takes care of a lot of that.  But there was certainly cause to be nervous.

42 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

And I understand and do agree with that  There are not four teams in 22-5A better than Ozen.  However, their play was certainly cause for concern.  They would be at this point, far below Memorial or Central and much more susceptible to a district upset or two than any Ozen team in my memory.  Their win over Nederland this week takes care of a lot of that.  But there was certainly cause to be nervous.

Absolutely.

There was never any nervousness coming from Ozen. Just because they had a few losses early(pre district) doesn't constitute panic. If WOS had lost a few games in football early in the year would we be thinking they wouldn't make the playoffs?? Programs don't operate in this fashion, that's for teams satisfied getting in the playoffs. Some of you guys need to stick to your Day jobs SMH

Ozen's in a much better place now, IMO. Looked poor for most of Gamble but is starting to figure it out a bit. Have to remember Ozen was missing two players w/ the flu during Gamble and two to injury (one being Jones). Definitely a young team that needs to learn a lot about winning, however. Those last four minutes vs. Nederland were awful. No way around it. Oliver's a stud - one of the area's best players.

Lol, you stated how & the reason for their performance  @ Gamble. Then say their last 4 min vs Nederland was Awful. I saw Nederland take a 14 pt Loss at home. Unless I'm missing something, Nederland needed to do something or it would have been 25 pt loss. Heck if Ozen hits FT's it's still 20pts.

No story here fellas

4 hours ago, Bigcam2903 said:

There was never any nervousness coming from Ozen. Just because they had a few losses early(pre district) doesn't constitute panic. If WOS had lost a few games in football early in the year would we be thinking they wouldn't make the playoffs?? Programs don't operate in this fashion, that's for teams satisfied getting in the playoffs. Some of you guys need to stick to your Day jobs SMH

I COMPLETELY agree..

2 hours ago, Bigcam2903 said:

Lol, you stated how & the reason for their performance  @ Gamble. Then say their last 4 min vs Nederland was Awful. I saw Nederland take a 14 pt Loss at home. Unless I'm missing something, Nederland needed to do something or it would have been 25 pt loss. Heck if Ozen hits FT's it's still 20pts.

No story here fellas

Can the two not intersect? Lol...