Which Would I Rather as a Kid

Hagar

Man I look at all these Xboxes and electronic games kids have today, and wonder.  They're pretty awesome.  But sometimes us old folks start thinking about the old days when he/she was a kid.  The games do a lot of the things we did.  They kill bad guys (and good guys best as I can tell, which we didn't do), but they do it in front of a TV, and it's all visually there - no imagination required, nor physical activity.  I, with my trusted cap pistol, killed many old west outlaws.  My dad had acquired a German bayonet & scabbard.  I slew countless Romans and enemies of King Arthur while running around the castle (house).  When the other boys were over, there was baseball on the West side of the house.  Home plate just north of a big hickory - first by an oak - second by driveway (dirt) and 3rd by garage.  And a real fence by the road.  When we got older, had to start using plastic bats & balls.  Football on the east side of house.  Raining, NP, we had Monopoly, vibrating football, and if no company, the endless fun of the rubber (eventually plastic) toy soldiers.  And I got to thinking, which would I prefer to grow up in?  I'd take the old days, but I doubt any kid today would.  I've no idea why - why I pick the old, & kids today the new.  I've an advantage, I've played both.  Kids today have no idea about physically running a sword through half a Roman Legion.  And few no the dangers of, "you'll shoot your eye out".

11 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Long gone are the days of sandlot sports, dirt clod fights, and BB gun wars.

OK, mavbe the BB gun wars not such a good idea.

I still have a BB stuck in my face, about an inch and a half below my eye, from a BB gun war. I have to tell the story every time I go to a dentist. X-rays show the darn thing 

18 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Long gone are the days of sandlot sports, dirt clod fights, and BB gun wars.

OK, mavbe the BB gun wars not such a good idea.

The BB gun wars were a no-no in my youth.  It was one of the endless Commandents written on my Dads sacred belt.  There were some wood ants (big black ants that didn't sting but would bite you with their mandibles) around and I spent hours shooting them from about 12' away.  When old enough (13?) me & next door neighbor were allowed to take our Dad's 22's out in the woods and shoot them, which we did so often my right ear barely functions lol.  I did get the expert badge for shooting while at Ft. Carson.  Practice made perfect.  Between my eyes and the old age shaking, I couldn't hit an elephant from ten feet now :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up not far from a group of brothers , four of them, and my sister and I would spend countless summer days and after school hours at there house playing football or baseball. Back in the day we were a bunch of dirty, snot nosed, uncool kids, but in reality Scroggins, Texas may have had the best athletes in wood county ,in what seemed to me at that time the biggest and coolest yard.

Sadly they moved away in the sixth grade, but of us six kids I went and played college football at Tarleton State, the brother my age went and played baseball at one of the d2 schools in Arkansas, the next brother went and wrestled and played football in college, my sister just got inducted into the UT Hall of Honor for Basketball, the brother her age was at least all-district   (if not district defensive mvp) at Allen high school and got a scholarship at Texas Tech and the youngest brother went and played college football at Trinity University. 

9 hours ago, jv_coach said:

I grew up not far from a group of brothers , four of them, and my sister and I would spend countless summer days and after school hours at there house playing football or baseball. Back in the day we were a bunch of dirty, snot nosed, uncool kids, but in reality Scroggins, Texas may have had the best athletes in wood county ,in what seemed to me at that time the biggest and coolest yard.

Sadly they moved away in the sixth grade, but of us six kids I went and played college football at Tarleton State, the brother my age went and played baseball at one of the d2 schools in Arkansas, the next brother went and wrestled and played football in college, my sister just got inducted into the UT Hall of Honor for Basketball, the brother her age was at least all-district   (if not district defensive mvp) at Allen high school and got a scholarship at Texas Tech and the youngest brother went and played college football at Trinity University. 

Your sister on the '03 Final Four team?

15 hours ago, jv_coach said:

Holy dad gum.  That group must have been the king of sandlot ball.  How weird to have that many good athletes in one neighborhood group. What a time y'all must have had.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:18 PM, TxHoops said:

I remember her well.  I was in NOLA watching the men’s team at the Final Four that weekend and watched the women’s game with a bunch of Texas fans.  Your sister was a heckuva player (obviously).  

I taught her how to block out, foul and miss freethrows. Everything else she learned on her own.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On February 13, 2018 at 0:32 AM, Kountzer said:

I've been thinking about getting a game apparatus, like x box.  I've been thinking like this for at least twenty years.  I haven't done it yet, and probably never will.  I can't justify the expense.  I can barely pay for the internet and cable package.  

Several years back, kids got me a unit with old Atari games on it.  Pong, the father of it all, asteroids, many more.  Played it about a week.  Now it sits in a closet collecting dust.