Texarkana Pleasant Grove 41 West Orange-Stark 21/FINAL

WOSgrad

2 hours ago, HawkNation said:

I don't know how many graduate, but with that QB, Bruce at RB, and that beast #40 Freshman, I can hope.

You know there will still be some major competition about 90 miles southwest. But congrats to you guys. You have a really good team and your defense was especially fun to watch. I hope we can learn from it!!!

14 minutes ago, XX Man said:

It's hard to win, win , win. WOS had a great year, and I thank them for the excitement. Yes, we lost, but they never gave up. PG had more answers this year, but, it was their first year, and WOS is there every year. Thanks to the team and Cornel for a great year!

That's the most sane thing I have seen you say in the last 2 days. Your buddies must have been shaming you.

Congrats to both teams! Congrats to WOS for another great season, and Pleasant Grove for taking their first ever football state championship! I knew when I saw this team in district, that they were the real deal, and those front 7 were monsters. The biggest ones play both ways, and seem to never wear down. Truly an awesome team to watch play.

The difference here was, obviously, the passing game. The truth is, whether PG fans care to admit it or not, I don't think anyone, including themselves, knew exactly how good the PG passing game was. I knew that it was there, and it was effect. I knew it could keep a defense honest, but they've only had 1 really close game (Gilmer), and an entire season to build off of that. Needless to say, it was pretty good, and could have been better. Harmon missed a couple of wide open receivers.

Another difference, was PG's ability to get to the QB. I see a lot of shade thrown towards the coaching staff for not running more pass plays, but Chaka was not on at all after taking some of the licks he took, and with the QB off like that, you cannot hope to wear a defense down at all. I mean think about it. PG's strength is their defensive front, your QB has taken some shots and missed on passes, his confidence in his throwing ability is not there because of this. You have to try and get something going to give your QB and team some momentum, while attempting to wear down the PG defensive front. While doing that, you have to take into account that the PG defensive front is getting good penetration, and getting to the QB quickly. So now you're limited to short, quick passes, with inconsistency at the QB position, into the PG secondary. 

It's easy to stand and criticize when something doesn't work. Deep down, we all know Coach T did exactly what he thought was needed to put his team in the best position to win. I think he had a good game plan, personally. But, PG was prepared in every aspect of the game. They were the better team, and their coach had them ready. Gibson called a heck of a game, from the very first play call (as you call could tell). I think he's a very good up and coming coach, and has a bright future, whether at PG or wherever he decides to go.

Again, congrats to both teams! I won't be following you WOS bunch as much next year, as we're bumping down to 3A. Good luck to you guys nonetheless!